Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iam just putting togeter my models for the crusader squad (black templar)

but i dont know what is best, all ccw/boltpistol or a few bolter marines and a few ccw/boltpistol marines?

since iam black templar i ofcourse want to go to CC asap. but before they get there they wont do much since they dont have bolters, so is it worth it to put some bolter guys in the squad?

grz,

everhard

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
There is an easey cop out to this - how are they getting there? if you are using an LRC then go for BP and CCW, you can charge on the turn you disembark
If they are using rhinos then you may want them to shoot, but on the whole you will be within pistol range
So raelly it comes down to how you use them, if, for wome bizare reason, you use the defensively then bolters are good, if you are gonna spend time shooting at 12"+ then again bolters are good, I would tend not to mix weapons in squads, On the whole, give BTs I would go for BP and CCW

·
Registered
655 Posts
Mixing bolters and BP/CCW Initiates is a good idea under the correct situations. The basic idea is to add a few bolters to increase your firepower and then take all of your casualties from these models so that when you reach CC all you have are BP/CCW models. You need to estimate how many casualties you'll be taking, and then use roughly that many bolters.

For this to be worthwhile, you of course need to intend on shooting at least once. If you're never going to shoot, the bolters are just increasing risk without any gain. Similarly, you have to ancipate being shot at. If you won't be shot at before getting into CC (think LRC) then you'll never have a chance to take casualties. Further, in the case of the LRC, the bolter wouldn't even be able to fire (unlike a pistol) because it's rapid fire.

Example:

Crusader Squad
-6x Initiate w/ BP & CCW
-1x Initiate w/ BP & Power Fist
-1x Initiate w/ Meltagun
-2x Initiate w/ Bolter
-Drop Pod

When the drop pod comes in, you disembark. It's unlikely that you can hide your entire squad behind the pod, or at least I've never gotten that lucky. Leave your shooty elements (bolters, maybe meltagun) exposed so that they can shoot. You'll get an extra 2 bolter rounds fired at the enemy this way. When you're shot at, say you take 3 casualties. Remove the two bolters (and something else.) When you move into close combat, you'll be just as strong as if you had taken all BP/CCW Marines, except you had a little extra firepower.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I wont use any rhino's and a LRC for 1000 pt army is a bit expensive altough i wil get one when i get a bigger army.

But i think droppod them will be a good solution altough i think when i droppod them I can better give them all boltpistol/ccw since bolters cant rapid fire while being dropped in the same turn.

But i see where your pointing at bob and Cheredanine, so its better to get a few bolters when your going to flootslog :)

thx for the info

·
Registered
355 Posts
Everhard said:
I wont use any rhino's and a LRC for 1000 pt army is a bit expensive altough i wil get one when i get a bigger army.

But i think droppod them will be a good solution altough i think when i droppod them I can better give them all boltpistol/ccw since bolters cant rapid fire while being dropped in the same turn.

But i see where your pointing at bob and Cheredanine, so its better to get a few bolters when your going to flootslog :)

thx for the info
You have it backwards on the rapid fire issue. Models with bolters (or any rapid fire weapons) can move and still get off 2 shots. So they can drop pod and get 2 shots when they disembark. Bolt pistols (and any other pistol weapon) can only be fired twice if you do not move that turn. I would still heed Bob Dole's advice on including a few bolters even in a squad that may drop pod.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ah ok I tought they could only shoot once but if they can shoot twice its indeed worth it to put 2 bolters in the squad, i already put a melta and a powerfist in the squad and i presume that 2 bolters would do fine :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts