Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Proud banner bearer of LO
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people, I really need some help to break my losing streak with my Marines. I have experimented with all kinds of stuff only to see it get pasted. Dropods would solve the problem but are waaaay to expensive to buy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Make one!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Your going to have to give us something to go on.

What is the problem your experiencing?

What's your army list?

What army seems to be the problem?

If you don't tell us such things, we don't know how to help you.

·
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I most frequently face other Space Marines and I get whiped out every time. My army list it changing all the time to try and find something that can actaully win.

·
Registered
156 Posts
well what are the other players doing to woop on you so bad.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Drop pods are not the key

Simple tactics and learning how to play the list you have are usually the keys to victory. When I started, I always played a different list trying for the some kind of advantage. Then I learned the advantage was in using what I had effectively.

·
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Inquisitor Rosado said:
well what are the other players doing to woop on you so bad.
I really dont know, they just seem to do better than me every time.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Here's some questions you could asnwer to help us to help you-
1. How many tanks do you take on average?
2. How many tactical marines do you typically field?
3. Is your army using any traits?
4. What models do you own?

If you answer these questions we have a base to give you advice on.

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
How about infiltarting? Youd need a free trait, maybe switch some around to allow you to place all your troops on the field, its cheapter then a pod unless you have a full 10 man squad, then its the same.

Alternatly, ive been using upturned rihnos as proxy drop pods, since GW doesnt make a model for them, i see no reason to pay 100 dollars to forge world for a 30 point transport vehicel.

Post your list in the army section if you want to end your losing streak for good.

·
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The_Outsider said:
Here's some questions you could asnwer to help us to help you-
1. How many tanks do you take on average?
2. How many tactical marines do you typically field?
3. Is your army using any traits?
4. What models do you own?

If you answer these questions we have a base to give you advice on.
1) Zero, I'm useless with vichles
2) 16 marines, One ten man sqaud with a plasma cannon, plasma gun and a vet sarge with a storm bolter and another 6 man sqaud with heavy bolter, plasma gun
3) I dont really use traits
4) My list of models for my marines:
HQ

Captain, libarain, chaplin, command sqaud.

Elites

Dreadnaught with full choice of weapons, including multi melta

5 termies, with assault cannon and heavy flamer

Troops

5 scouts, bolters, heavy bolter

1 missile launcher
2 heavy bolters
1 Plasma cannon
3 Plasma guns
1 flamer
1 meltagun
13 bolters

Fast attack

8 assault marines, 2 with plasma pistols

Heavy support

None, my predators sponsons are wrecked, rendering it useless. It has an autocannon turret with heavy bolter sponsons that are in a big mess.

Transport

Razorback with twin linked lascannons

·
421 Posts
Unless your opponents are nitpickers for WYSIWYG, not all models have to perfectly represent their exact loadout.

To comment on your list (altho i think it's a list of available models)

HQ
if you take a hq with all 3 commanding models and a command squad you're allready using 320 points minimum for a unit of limited effectiveness.

in low point games, a command squad is rarely effective.
I would advice to simply take one of them and attach it to a squad when the game begins.
things that work very well:
give your hq model termie honors and a jumppack, combined with a pistol or a second cc weapon and attach it to the assaultmarines. that way you get a lot of punching power and use the potential of the model to the max. typical a chaplain or a librarian with fear of darkness or might of heroes does well.

Elites
here you have a good choice of options
dreadnought, can be quite versatile, so try to complement the loadout with the rest of the army (lack anti tank, add lascannon or missilelauncher; lack ant infantery, add assaultcannon)

troops

first rule:
use squads of even numbers, for scoring unit purpose ( if you play missions)
not much to comment on this. heavy boltors are very good allround.
maybe if you make a schooting squad, make it 6 models, an mobile assaulting squad, make it 8 or 10 and add a veteran with powerfist and pistol. this sarge will be protected from singled out, and can be quite nasty.

Assault
try to max out on assault marines, the more the merrier. also , add a vet sarge with a powerfist for extra punch and anti armor potential.

other option, i guess you don't have bikes and such.

Heavy:
as said above,
sometimes models can get damaged, bad luck. Unless your opponent is dedicated on WYSIWYG, why not simply tell him what the model is and use it in that manner.

often a tank is switched with a devastator squad with a varaity of weapons. i beleive you don't have them, but maybe it's something to consider for later. if you take them, i would suggest to take an 8 man squad. that way 4 of them are abblative armor.

Dropppods are hard to get. if you search around, you can find templates for paper droppods. They are only considered an option and are often not modelled in a game.

i hope these pointers can help a bit.
MvG, Vindicator.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well if your going against marines get the dread with ass cannon, 2 full sqauds of 10 marines with infiltrate and plasma weapons and an assault squad lead by the chappy. should be around the 750 mark. Also just find a list and stick with it and learn how to play it.

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
1) Zero, I'm useless with vichles
Buy 2 landspeeder tornados, they are extreamily useful, theres nothing they cant hurt.

2) 16 marines, One ten man sqaud with a plasma cannon, plasma gun and a vet sarge with
More Marines! Its a good idea to have about 30 marines if you plan on using drop pods, or infiltrating, but the more the better.

Tactical squads lack mission, its up to you to give them one, so when your planning your list, make the squads be A) shooty B) assaulty

A type squads:
These are the 3 most effect combinations of shooty tactical squads.
1 Lascannon, 4 bolters. Medium
1 Lascannon, 1 plasma gun, 4 bolters. Most effective
1 plasma cannon, 1 plasma gun, 4 bolters. Least effective (because it realise on your oponent placing units closer together then he has to, but your friends probably arent uber veterans) This is still a better shooty squad then what most of the players youll see out there field.

This type of squad combination allows your squads to be good at anti infantry, as well as heavy infantry, and tanks. Very veritile. Bolters are by nature excellent anti hord, dont bother will heavy bolters or other such weapons in your tactical squads.

Type B) Assaulty, there is basically one formation for assaulty squads,
1 veteran sgt, with bolt pistol and powerfist, 1 melta gun, 8 bolters.
with traits you can give them 2 special weapons, adding more bunch to the squad, however this changes its roll to anti tank/anti infantry, which is generally not a good idea, except that this squaq does it so well.
With traits all your men can have CCWs and bolt pistols.
Most important: how you get there, 2 ways:
With traits you can pick up infiltrate.
Or drop pods. If your just playing your friends proxy drop pods with rihnos, if not, there is no formal model, so be creatative, you can pretty much make it look like what ever you want, with the basic peramaters that it was fired from space to the groud and carries people inside.

3) I dont really use traits
start :p
4) My list of models for my marines:
HQ

Captain, libarain, chaplin, command sqaud.
Dont use command squads, they are over priced. UNLESS your going with infiltrators over drop pods. and planning a largly CC force.

Elites

Dreadnaught with full choice of weapons, including multi melta
Dreadnoughts are bested used in either of these 2 formations: Drop pod, Assault cannon, Dreadnought CCW, strom bolter. Or no transport, TwinLinked Lascannon + ML, venerable, tank hunters. Both need extra armour, the venerable dreadnought might make use of smoke launchers.
5 termies, with assault cannon and heavy flamer
Make this be 2 assault cannons.

Troops

5 scouts, bolters, heavy bolter
Dont use scouts.

1 missile launcher
Get 3 more, you need another box of tactical marines anyway, so you can pick up one in there.

2 heavy bolters
Sorry dude, these are largly useless, better find out from me now then on the table top.

1 Plasma cannon
It wouldnt hurt to get another one of these, but not a proreity, you might try covering those heavy bolters in plasma cannons.

3 Plasma guns
Awsome.

Covert this into a melta gun, cut off the canaster on the bottom, and glue it to the side, then trip the nose down and round it out a bit, while making sure to remove the lighter, it will look like a melta gun for sure.
1 meltagun
2 more of these would be good, + the one above. Although in my opinion, you can never have to many melta guns.

13 bolters
It would be nice if you could double these.

Fast attack

8 assault marines, 2 with plasma pistols
How did you end up with 8? Well, try to get 1 more normal one, and 1 sgt, with powerfist and bolt pistol.

Heavy support

None, my predators sponsons are wrecked, rendering it useless. It has an autocannon turret with heavy bolter sponsons that are in a big mess.
Good, this tank is no good anyway. You might try coverting it for fun, by chopping off the razorbacks lascannons, and switching the tops of the tanks, you could take a preditor annihiltor, with heavy bolter side guns, but honestly, tanks suck.

Razorback with twin linked lascannons
Trash this. Sorry to be harsh, its not your fault, im sure someone told you it would be good, the codex doesnt let on how easily this will be killed.

Squads you need: Devs, 4 ML 4 bolters.

HQs you need: chaplain with jump pack

Vehicles you need: Landspeeder tornados

Other: More marines, 2 or 3 lascannons, 3 melta guns, maybe another plasma cannons, Lots of powerfists.

Caution, dev box comes with lots of things you dont need. dont buy it.

Also you have 2 vehicels, those vehicels should have come with a hunter killer missile each, use this missile and make it a missile luancher, it wont take much converting and will look great when your done, plus with the extra box of marines you need to buy, that will fill out the above dev squad.

I suggest you sumbit me an army list before you go buying, that way, you wont pick up any more useless stuff, and youll start turning your losing streak around.

The following is a suggested model for a good 1000 point army list:

Chaplain 2 wounds, bolt pistol, termintor honours, frag grenades.

Assault squad, 10 members, 2 plasma pistols, 1 sgt powerfist 382

Tactical squad1: 1 lascannon 4 bolters

Tactical squad2: 1 lascannon 1 plasma gun 4 bolters

Landspeeder tornado Heavy bolter + assault cannon

Dev squad: 4 ML 4 bolters.

This is 997 i believe. This is basically the core force to any well rounded list, with a few tweeks it can be vary assaulty, and others, quite shooty. Combine this with traits to make them better at what ever they are doing, and you get the idea.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
Wait, you have three HQ units in one army? There's your problem. There's your problem right there.

·
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I never said I used three HQs in one army! I was just stating what models I have.

I really am stuck what to go for now...

·
Registered
400 Posts
for a start get more tac marines. Way more tac marines. I'd say that if ur not using any vehicles, then 40 marines is about the minimum for 1000pts. With the tac marines in there u want plasma, missiles, lascannons, anything to punch thru marine armour. That's to ensure fire superiority.
Then I'd say get a CC unit, both for keeping enemy marines away from ur shooty squads and for getting close to annoy them. An assault squad or a bike squad would do.

·
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
About those Land Speeder Tornadoes: I think they wouldnt be the best thing to use since bolters can glance their armour. Maybe some Typhoons might be a better choice with their S5 missiles.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts