Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What cameras are good at taking the close ups. Are there are any digital brands that are good?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
In what price range are you looking?

Once you do get one, experiment with all types of lighting, macro, and zoom. I used to use macro (very close up), but I get better results using zoom from a distance and zooming in close. It gives you a greater depth of field. That means the miniature is in focus from front to back. Sometimes in macro, you can get an outstretched hand in focus, but the body of the mini is out of focus. I also prefer using 3-5 indoor lights, and vary the colors sometimes for effect. I sometimes use a flash and sometimes not.

The good thing about digitals is you can try a variety of effects without paying or waiting for the film to develop. Right now I'm using a Nikon coolpix 990. Somewhat expensive, though. Try to get a camera that has a resolution of at least 3-4 megapixels for really good shots. Lower will work, but higher is better.

·
Registered
245 Posts
about 1 mega pixel is good enough...
all these new fancy cameras with 3-4 Mpxls are just obsolete unless youre a pro fotographer that needs extremely high res...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This Nikon coolpix 990 you are using so its good at taking pics of warhammer. I looked it up and some people said the image gets a little distored up close. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I have not experienced any problems with it close up. Here is a close up with natural light. As you can see, the depth of field for focus is shallow. The very front and back of the tank is out of focus. I did this to draw attention to the specific feature I want to highlight.

This picture is taken in the dark using only flash. It was taken using zoom to get in close instead of macro. You can see the entire picture is in focus except for the front edge of the hill. Its about 8-10 inches from front to back.

As philipmatlary pointed out, you can use a camera with 1 megapixel resolution just fine. In fact, I have to lower the resolution of my camera to keep the picture size small enough to use on line or post on my site. However, I use my camera for other purposes as well, and want the option to have high resolution pictures. Also, I am able to zoom very, VERY close if I want to. I could make a picture of a marine eyeball if I wanted. So you can save money by purchasing a lower resolution camera if you only want it for on line use. The pictures look fine.

All the pictures on my site are from the coolpix if you want to see some more.
Wolf Raider's Den

·
Registered
156 Posts
the minolta dimage s414 is a good camera, digital and a flash, macro mode for close ups, portraits for those tall units, and some other technical features that help blur areas and things, this is for about £150 if you know where to look. For proof of it e-mail me and ill send you some pictures![email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just picked up a new digital that does outstanding miniature photos. It's the Canon A70. It has all of the whistles and bells one could want in a digital and runs about $300.

A good website for comparing digital cameras is the Imagine Resouce. Their reviewer takes a collection of similar/identical photos for each of the cameras that he reviews so that you can EASILY compare the quality of various cameras in a variety of lighting conditions.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yeah I have an HP camera (actually it's my stepdad's but he never uses it). It works good for close up detail but works best in natural light. The flash isnt good for close-ups, but is fine for distanced pics.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.