Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the weapon is uses to shoot, hit 6 of the closest models. A single talos is in combat. Granted, locked in combat, so if it were two squads they wouldn't shoot their weapons because they don't want to shoot their own. But a talos, specifically targets models. Why can't the talos shoot while locked in combat?

·
Registered
225 Posts
you cant fire guns when in close combat.

That is basically it. The Wildfire rule is still firing a gun and unless it specifically says otherwise, you always assume the standard rule (ie, cannot be fired while in combat) applies.

Its just like in D&D: Sure, the rules don't say say humans half 12 arms and can eat rocks but you can't argue that they can since the rules don't say otherwise. (also, in the case of shooting, the BBB/BGB specifically says you can't fire in combat).

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
That is basically it. The Wildfire rule is still firing a gun and unless it specifically says otherwise, you always assume the standard rule (ie, cannot be fired while in combat) applies.

Its just like in D&D: Sure, the rules don't say say humans half 12 arms and can eat rocks but you can't argue that they can since the rules don't say otherwise. (also, in the case of shooting, the BBB/BGB specifically says you can't fire in combat).
Well………….

Firing in close combat can be done by the Tormentor Helm, and any other pistol for that matter but the point here is that close combat is all about assault and whilst you can use “guns” in assault they only count as an additional attack for that assault.

The Splinter Cannons on the Talos do not give an additional attack in close combat and so cant be used here.

Thanks.

·
Orks_n_Bugs
1,388 Posts
Firing in close combat can be done by the Tormentor Helm, and any other pistol for that matter but the point here is that close combat is all about assault and whilst you can use “guns” in assault they only count as an additional attack for that assault.
To me this could be a little misleading to less experienced players.

Firing while locked in CC cannot be done unless a model has a rule that specifically allows it (and I can't think of one of those right now).

Pistols and certain other thing (Tormentor helms, etc.) can "count as" and additional CC weapon, but it's best not to think of them firing. Otherwise we get the whole "My model has a plasma pistol so his CC attacks are at the S and AP of a plasma pistol" thing (which is wrong)

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
A good lesson for newer players with questions like this =

Do not mix up fluff and rules. They are not inherently required to get along with each other. The rules are present for balance and GAMEplay, the fluff is there purely for entertainment. There's no "fluff" explanation of the rules of Risk, or Checkers, or Chess. Nor should there be for 40k.

Just b/c you can imagine by the fluff a Talos firing in CC doesn't mean it does in the real game.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A good lesson for newer players with questions like this =

Do not mix up fluff and rules. They are not inherently required to get along with each other. The rules are present for balance and GAMEplay, the fluff is there purely for entertainment. There's no "fluff" explanation of the rules of Risk, or Checkers, or Chess. Nor should there be for 40k.

Just b/c you can imagine by the fluff a Talos firing in CC doesn't mean it does in the real game.
I was just trying the question out to see, well why not. There is already sufficient evidence in this thread to say no a talos can not fire in CC. I appreciate the post though.

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
To me this could be a little misleading to less experienced players.

Firing while locked in CC cannot be done unless a model has a rule that specifically allows it (and I can't think of one of those right now).

Pistols and certain other thing (Tormentor helms, etc.) can "count as" and additional CC weapon, but it's best not to think of them firing. Otherwise we get the whole "My model has a plasma pistol so his CC attacks are at the S and AP of a plasma pistol" thing (which is wrong)
Hi,
Agreed. You are correct in saying this could be interpreted the wrong way and I should have more simply said that you can use a ballistic weapon in close combat but not by shooting it.

But there are strange exceptions, such as the Tormentor Helm/soulseeker ammuntion combination and an Ork gun that fires from a bike (name escapes me at the moment).

Don't you just love this game!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.