Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:ninja: :cry: Tank shock how often is it effective and when should you use it
:wacko:
 

·
Slave to the flesh
Joined
·
3,354 Posts
Tank shock works pretty well on every one except marines (loyalist more than chaos).

You should use it when the squad you want to ram cannot hurt your tank (which limits it down). Using it against low LD troops is brilliant (such as mutant mobs).

I find transports work best doing this, things like rhinos as they are generally disposable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tankshock revisited

:yes: I am with it, but what about infintry when they are attempting to broadside your side armor. would a tankshock be in order then if so before or after thier assault phase?:rolleyes:
 

·
Slave to the flesh
Joined
·
3,354 Posts
I would tank shock in that case, it is a quick and nasty way to hurt troops.

There's nothing stopping you moving 6" (and tank shocking) and if you survive fire upon the unit you just rammed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tankshock again

:yes: that rocks, you are right plus i have the option to drive away because technically i am not locked in cc with the squad. true, tankshock can occur at anytime during my or his turn?:sleep:
 

·
Slave to the flesh
Joined
·
3,354 Posts
Well, if its your tank it can only occur in your movement phase. There is nothing stopping an opponents tank shocking your troops as well in their movement phase.

It is a risky tactic as most squads have weapons like meltaguns and the like, thus generally resulting in your tank turning into a big fireball.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,023 Posts
The_Outsider said:
Well, if its your tank it can only occur in your movement phase. There is nothing stopping an opponents tank shocking your troops as well in their movement phase.

It is a risky tactic as most squads have weapons like meltaguns and the like, thus generally resulting in your tank turning into a big fireball.
Keep in mind that only models that are over run, get DOG attacks, meaning if you clip his squad, and avoid those members, they generally won't be able to hurt you.

Just something to keep in mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
Another thing to remember is that a run over squad must move out of the tanks way in the shortest direction possible. So if you simply clip a squad you can effectively push it to the side and leave the tank as a barrier between them and your army. This will work great with a disposable unit such as a Rhino as it will force the enemy to move around it for at least a turn. Vehicles like the Necron Monolith can use this to great effect as it is 8" long per side. The fact that it is a skimmer means you can shoot under it without trouble.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
I find it very usefull vs tau shooty player, who screen his crisis with little firewarriors squads.

Tank shock allows to go through these human screens without having to loosing precious time to deal in CC with them.
I am using squads in rhino to open gaps in these screens either to pass through, or to open gates for my assault squads.


One question though: Can you disrupt unit coherency using tank shock? (i had an argument with a friend about this)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,023 Posts
Noctus said:
I find it very usefull vs tau shooty player, who screen his crisis with little firewarriors squads.

Tank shock allows to go through these human screens without having to loosing precious time to deal in CC with them.
I am using squads in rhino to open gaps in these screens either to pass through, or to open gates for my assault squads.


One question though: Can you disrupt unit coherency using tank shock? (i had an argument with a friend about this)
p 70, must stay in coherency.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
318 Posts
LordCreampuff said:
Vehicles like the Necron Monolith can use this to great effect as it is 8" long per side. The fact that it is a skimmer means you can shoot under it without trouble.
I think you should pull out your tape measure again... the 'Lith is only 6" square.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
301 Posts
While i'm not sure on the exact size of the lith, if it is a 6", then the diagonal should be aproxomatly 8.5" as shown by pythagoreans theroum (a^2+b^2 =c^2). So although the sides are 6" it can effectively screen an 8" area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
953 Posts
If it is 6" wide it actually screens closer to 12" as troops must run around 1/2 of the square base. Sorry for not remembering the exact size, but you get the point. No need to nitpick.

My point was that you can effectively use tank shock against CC troops to keep them out of CC for the whole game. That is as long as they can't kill the tank and nobody else does. Every time they attempt to run around the tank simply shock them again. When you clip one edge of a unit they must move in the same direction or they will break coherency. So you can effectively corral them where you want them. The lith is perfect for this maneuver because of its size. The fact that it is a skimmer allows troops to shoot under it normally.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top