Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do we know about Tau anatomy?

Kind of a strange question, but one that has plagued me nontheless. I have been doing a little research and have been unable to aquire much information on the subject - so I want to know if anyone else had any any beliefs/scientific theories on the anatomic makeup of a Tau.

So, what do we know?

- The have four fingers.
- They are shorter than the average human.
- They are not as physically strong as the average human.
- All Tau are blue/grey in colour.
- Tau are not flat-footed. They walk only on their toes (as many of the dinosaurs did).

That's not much. I would like to know if there are any official sources stating things such as the colour of their blood, physical differences between male and female, etc. Such things would lead to a greater understanding of the Tau and the ability to further the Greater Good.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
234 Posts
-They appear anatomically similar to the "Greys" (Zeta Reticulans to Fox Mulder)
-They have facial similarities to the Necrons (lack of a nose, length of face etc.)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Tau blood is blue or violet because it is copper rather than iron-based. There doesn’t seem to be any visible difference between the genders (to humans, at least) and their society has absolute gender equality. They rely heavily on communication by pheromones, although they only seem to be subconsciously aware of it themselves and stubbornly refuse to acknowledge any evidence indicating that this is the case. As you say, the Tau are not plantigrade as human beings are, they are digitigrade as are in fact most mammals, and they have split hooves rather than actual toes.

As for Tau looking like Necrons, I must disagree. The Tau actually do posses an olfactory organ (a nose), but it lacks an external cartilage structure and is only visible as a thin opening in their face between their eyes. Also, the Tau possess a much rounder cranium than the Necrons (not that I place any faith in phrenology, but it's still a significant difference. ;)). There is no official or plausible connection between Tau and Necrons, only odd conspiracy theories.

Also, you might be interested in knowing that a background book is being published by Black Library this February on the subject of alien anatomy. It is titled ‘Xenology’, and a description can be found here. I don’t know for sure that Tau are included in the book, but I would be surprised if they weren’t. ;)

~Grephaun.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts