Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I need to lnow everything about the people who side with the tau, why would a human do that (with the lack of noses and everything), whats in it for them, are they treated with respect by the tau? please annything you have to add.

·
Formerly BrotherAzriel
2,373 Posts
The origional Humans that went over to the tau were men who were left behind during the Daemocles gulf crusade, the Tau offered them a choice, join us and get a decent life, work for the greater good, or we kill you.

Now they would obviously been taken as POWs and that gives the Tau plenty of time for propaganda work, converting the humans to the cause, they get freedom (of a sorts) the yolk of imperial oppresion is finaly pushed away and they serve masters who give them a "choice" in life.

thats what i can offer at the moment mate.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Yeah.. Humans who actually join the empire tend to be prisoners of war. The Tau are big on reeducation camps and things like that, to get people to see the error of their primitive and barbaric ways and realize the superiority of Tau civilization.

If they agree to abandon their savage ways and become civilized, they get resettled within the Empire in small colonies of their own, and given tools and basic manufacturing gear by the Tau. They can maintain themselves at a basic level of technology (including producing lasguns) but are dependent on handouts for the sophisticated stuff. They are also allowed to serve in the Tau armed forces as Gue'vesa.

There are humans who actively join the Tau out of choice. There's one fluff piece where a rogue trader and his crew do just that, but it seems to be pretty rare. More often, unscrupulous planetary governors will make alliances or trade technology with the Tau without actually signing up and joining the Empire itself.

Respect is quite a subjective word.. Sure, they're left to their own devices, allowed to worship and live roughly as they choose, but at the same time they are basically placed in socialized retirement. Tau don't see humanity as having a major role in the future of the galaxy, they're an uncivilized dead end waiting to be 'enlightened' by the Tau, who are destined to replace them as the dominant race in the galaxy..

·
Registered
358 Posts
The majority of Gue'vesa come from POW's. But EPIC has a expirmental ruleset out for an experimental Gue'vesa army that is fully integrated by the Greater Good. They actually come a large solar system of some seven billion, whom joined the Greater Good as an entire system instead of piecemeal. I believe the system was Kleist.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
There's a quite interesting piece of fluff (it may still be on the Games Workshop site somewhere - I generally use the UK one) called 'Cleanse the Xenos.'

It's basically an imperial perspective on a piece of Tau 'propaganda' where an ex-guardsman (missing in action after the Damocles Crusade, as mentioned above) talks about how he joined the Tau after they offered a truce. He tells everyone how cool it is, and recommends they all sign up as well.

I think the Tau generally have a kind of grudging respect for humans, in fact for most of their enemies. While they are convinced that their way is the way of the future, I think they can understand that other races have other beliefs and are quite likely to fight for them.

They seem willing to offer truces and honour surrenders, and also seem willing to integrate anyone into their empire, provided said people are willing to contribute something.

I think the Tau can be very persuasive, and this is how they get people to willingly join them. They can negotiate, and then trade with people, and then eventually convert those people to see things from their point of view and join them. Extra pressure (perhaps in the form of the people needing protection from something, which I believe the Tau would offer) can often assist in their negotiations.

Also, the Tau are based on the outer edge of the human empire, I believe, where people aren't so strong in their beliefs. I think I remember reading that somewhere.

I guess I could sum it up as Survival and Freedom. If something is threatening to kill you or oppress you, and the Tau offer you a way out, I can't see why most people wouldn't take it.

Besides, the nose does not maketh the man/Tau. I think a lack of nose on behalf of those offering you safety would be the least of your worries if a fleet of Orks or a host of Tyrannids were about to descend on you.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
In the book Ciaphas Cain Hero of the Imperium (hilarious I recommend it to any 40K fan who's got the time to spare) there is a human planet with a Tau incursion brought on through free trade agreements (rogue traders). Where the Tau have been selling their technology to humans for several generations and as close trade partners go the two cultures started merging. (humans painting their faces blue and following the codes of "the greater good." However the Tau fully support the rights and beliefs of the humans that don't convert to the greater good (which the imperial officers sent to negotiate with them don't get at ALL.)

Tau are willing to peacefully induct humans into their government...Just the imperium doesn't like that too much. As humans stick very solidly by whatever viewpoint they tend to hold, those who join the Tau empire are EXTREMELY loyal to those beliefs, just as imperials are to the Golden throne, and Kroot are to the Tau empire as well.

And I suppose sometimes Tau would force a POW situation (uncommon as that is in the 40k universe hmm?)

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Tau are willing to peacefully induct humans into their government...
I find that unlikely.. Tau don't let most Tau join their government. Their government is, essentially, a group of pheremone secreting God-kings whom noone can question.

And I suppose sometimes Tau would force a POW situation (uncommon as that is in the 40k universe hmm?)
It's not uncommon for Tau. They don't go in for random massacre very much, so what happens when they capture territory and you're left with a bunch of uncivilized barbarians occupying it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys, i appreciate it a lot, the reason i was asking was caus i was thinking of writing a liitle story on theses guys and i needed a basis of information, annything else to add would be a ton of help too, and the lack of nose thing was caus of a joke thread that was up a couple of weks ago, just incase it seemed wierd. wellps anny tips or anny concerns or annything you guys think i should put up would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just a quick correction: if you do not join the Tau Empire, they don't kill you as BotherAzriel said. You just remain a POW until you convert, die, or are freed (though I don't see this happening).

There's more fluff about this in the Tau Empire Codex, and a free PDF on GW's website.
Warhammer 40,000 - Tau

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Wasn't it the other way round

I always thought the Tau pitied humans because they had noses...

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Back, I say! Back to the jokes & funny stuff section where you belong! :C

You people and your noses... they're not all they've cracked up to be, you know? I've heard someone call the nose the stupidest organ in the body! A reputable scientist, too, so they know what they're talking about.

So maybe it is that the Tau pity the humans, for still valuing their stupid noses, and for not yet being enlightened enough to realise they don't need them.

So Blah!

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
The Tau are generally a better alternative for those who chafe under the rule of the Eclesiary.(sp).
These people flourish under Tau rule.
However, for those loyal, the Golden Throne is better. So it depends on the person.

Humans are welcomed into the Empire, alongside the other aliens that make up the Empire.
They can't run things, but neither can most of the Tau. The Ethereals, a sub-caste, rule over all of the races, including the Tau. Gue'vesa are usually dis-trusted a little, as Imperial assassins, commissars, and exterminatus' are way to common.

·
2,076 Posts
The tau are the biggest @$$holes in the Universe.
Everyone else admits to hating everyone and kills them to their face, except maybe Eldar as they are sneaky gits.
But the Tau? Oh no, they'll 'liberate' your planet and set up reeducation facilities to teach you the ways of the Greater Good.
In DOW Dark Crusade, the Tau ending basically says that they didn't kill the Human Citizens, but they did put them in single sex reeducation facilities for years.
As a result the humans couldn't breed so they just died off leaving the world a Tau colony world.

·
Registered
286 Posts
The tau are the biggest @$$holes in the Universe.
Everyone else admits to hating everyone and kills them to their face, except maybe Eldar as they are sneaky gits.
But the Tau? Oh no, they'll 'liberate' your planet and set up reeducation facilities to teach you the ways of the Greater Good.
In DOW Dark Crusade, the Tau ending basically says that they didn't kill the Human Citizens, but they did put them in single sex reeducation facilities for years.
As a result the humans couldn't breed so they just died off leaving the world a Tau colony world.
And yet this is a pretty singular example, and it was only implemented because they rebelled against Tau rule, and in the end they still got a hell of a lot better treatment than people who resist IMPERIAL rule get. Generally the Tau like to win through cultural means and not force of arms, only resulting to fighting when need be.

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
The Tau resorted to those camps because of continued rebellion. It was way better than any other race would have even considered doing.

Lastly, yes, there are colonies of Humans in the Tau empire, and they get to breed, have technology, and freedom, but you can imagine they are being watched very carefully, especially after the Damocles Crusade, in which entire planets were purged of Tau life.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I can't remember what is is called but maybe someone else does, there was a Last Chancer book where they infiltrate a Tau colony. There are some good examples of tau lifestyle, like eating and sleeping to compare to normal imperial lifestyles. Also good examples of tau-human interaction...

1 - 20 of 82 Posts