Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a good set up for the Tau.

I need a 1000 pt and 1500 Pts set up....please? :roll:

·
Registered
3 Posts
ummmm iv'e never played with tau but i think don't bother with kroot (even though i love em') just get loads of men....few taks .... but not to many big robot things (wat evert their called)

this proally didn't help :wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd say battlesuits with shield drones, flamers, & plasma rifles sounds pretty damn effective :twisted: - & flexible!

·
Registered
3 Posts
& don't forget the target lock (multiple weapons fire), & give the leader multi-tracker (allow him to select a different target from the rest)
-= sorry, can't remember equipment names from work ... :oops:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Vince, you have them switched around...Target lock allows them to shoot at a different unit than the rest of his group, and the MT lets them fire two weapons...

Just so that Billymou doesn't screw up when gearing up his suits.

·
Registered
34 Posts
:) Here's what I play when I use my Tau
1700 point Commander Farsight Enclave
Commander Farsight HQ
Bodyguards x2 1 with TL missile pod and 1 with TL burst cannon each with target locks
Fire Warrior squad x2 Each with 10 pulse rifles and 2 pulse carbines, the squad leader is equipped with a hard-wired target lick. All are equipped with EMP and photon grenades and are bonded
Stealth team x 5 models. Leader with hard-wired target lock. All are bonded
Pathfinders x6 models Emp and photon grenades and bonded. Leader has hard-wired target lock. The Devilfish has targeting array and 1 seeker missile.
Hammerhead gunship with railgun. Targeting array,multi-tracker,target lock and 1 seeker missile.
Broadside Battle suit x 1 with target locks and bonded
Using the VDR rules I built 2 light scouts, each with 3 seeker missiles and a burst cannon. These are assigned one to each Fire Warrior squad specificly for the marker lights on the squad leaders weapon, and after all missiles are fired it can move in and act as close support with its burst cannon. Armor is 10 all around
Total point cost is 1691.
So far I've had pretty good luck. One other guy here plays Tau and he has yet to beat this force.
"Every day above ground is a good day"

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a question about hard-wiring...do you have to do anything to the model to show that it has a hard-wired system, or do you simply say that is has a hard-wired so-and-so before the battle ?

As of now I have a pretty small army (Farsight, XV8 Commander HQ, 1xFire Warriors and 1xKroot) so I can't really help you, Billymou...

Hopefully by Christmas I'll be finished collecting my army.

·
Registered
3 Posts
thanks Petas.
I actually used my army for the first time yesterday
Got WIPED OUT on a 48" map by Chaos hoarde
... I hate plague marines

·
Registered
34 Posts
:) Hard-wiring. No you do not have to convert or add anything to the model. It fall under the catagory of options, just like grenades,etc...
"every day above ground is a good day"

·
Registered
377 Posts
I would not recommend getting rid of Kroot. Theya re the only thing that stand between you and that large Greater Demon or that 50-strong mobbed up Slugga Boyz rabble.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would have to disagree with keeping the Kroot, unless a Greater Demon is really weak in CC(I'm not sure). The Kroot aren't very good at CC themselves compared to most of the other armies. Other than that, they are basically body shields :wink: .Think of it this way: Tyranid Termagaunts are pretty useless as the army is mainly CC. So why would they want to try to specialize in shooting? That's pretty much the same concept that's happening here IMO, vice versa. As for the Orks, I believe they have a pretty bad armor save so a Sub. Railgun should take em out pretty nicely :p

That is, if you're far enough away from the opposing army to take em out. If not, well...
:lol: :cry: .....

Anyways, this is what I use for my army (currently 998 pts.):
HQ:
Shas'o: Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Shield, 2 Shield Drones, Multi-Tracker.
Bodyguard 1: 2x Plasma Rifle, Shield, 1 Shield Drone
Bodyguard 2: 2x Missile Pod, Shield, 1 Shield Drone

TROOPS:
2 Teams of 6 Fire Warriors (No leaders, No bonding knife !!! :( )

HEAVY SUPPORT:
1 Team of 2 XV88's: Shields on both, leader has 2 Shield Drones
Hammerhead: Sub. Railgun, 2x Burst Cannon, Decoy Launcher
Hammerhead: Ion Cannon, 2x Burst Cannon, Decoy Launcher

Keep in mind this is just my preference, I haven't had played much to know how good it is. (My friend has a kickin ass Eldar army. Either that or everyone else we play with all suck. He has an 8-0 record!! Next time I battle, I'll choose to fight his Tyranids and mow em down before they can CC me :D )

·
Registered
27 Posts
HQ:
Commander
Twin-linked missile pods
Shield Generator
Hardwired Shield Drones
2 Bodyguards, each with:
Burst Cannon
Missile Pod
Shield Generator
Hardwired Multi-tracker

I may choose to duplicate the above arrangement to fill up the 2nd HQ choice, or use an Ethereal (I am more likely to choose the former).

ELITE:
2 Stealth teams, leaders have hardwired target lock and markerlight.
1 Crisis battlesuit team
Suit A:
Missile Pod
Multi-tracker
Burst Cannon
Suit B:
Missile Pod
Multi-tracker
Plasma Rifle
Leader:
Missile Pod
Plasma Rifle
Multi-tracker
Hardwired Gun Drones

TROOPS:
4 Fire Warior teams
Leaders have hardwired target lock and markerlight
2 Kroot Carnivore teams
Shapers (Leaders) have Pulse Rifles (Fire warrior normal guns)

NO FAST ATTACK (IMO they all suck.)

HEAVY SUPPORT:
Hammerhead Gunship
Ion Cannon
Smart Missiles
1-4 Seeker missiles (can't decide yet.)
Multitracker
Sensor Spines
Decoy Launchers
Disruption Pod
Target Lock
1-2 Broadside Teams
Suit A:
Shield Drones
Suit B:
Shield Generator
Leader has Shield Generator and hardwired shield drones.

·
Registered
295 Posts
and I just say... (keep out of all enemies, or u'll be slew in HTH)

Do Tau have any heavy armoured close combat troops anyway?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well you could use Broadsides as short range brawlers - just upgrade the TL Smart Missiles with TL Plasma Rifles and you have a model that can give and take a beating - the plasma rifles WILL hurt terminators, and the TL railguns, well I shan't go into that - but asides from that, no, they don't. The Tau don't like getting up close and personal.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Plasma rifles? Another new word in my little orchish brain.. confusing… confusing.. so what does it do? and smart missle?

·
Registered
23 Posts
hey humankillerz11...what's the deal? that was my old army list..
Not saying I have a problem but I just want to know.
Does that mean you're going to use that for your army?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey pplz, new here

For a Tau army:
- Its good to have crisis suits, heh, after all they are wut ur commanders are in
- Tau Firewarriors may not be strong, but u cant doubt their s5 ap5 weapons
- Rail guns are one of the landmark weapons of Tau, they should be included in your army, whether it may be thru broadsides or hammerheads

Thats how I use my army regularly in small battles...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I wouldn't overlook kroot, as they have what are essentially boltguns (better than a lasgun!) and count as having 2 close combat weapons. They also get great cover saves in forests because of their fieldcraft rule. You can also use them to screen your suits and firewarriors from enemy fire. I also recommend broadsides over hammerheads just because their railguns are twin linked and tau BS for some reason isn't too hot which I find strange for such a shooty bunch. They also get smart missiles which are amazingly cool.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.