1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings!

as i'm currently planning on starting a Tau force next to my horde 'o tyranids
i am looking for some answers.

I already have the codex but there are somethings I can't see the benefit of.

first off:
Pathfinders. I like the fact that they have pulse carbines, scout and marker lights.
the codex states that every pathfinder has a pulse carbine AND a marker light.
so a pathfinder squad of 6 would be able to fire 6 markerlights OR 6 pulse carbines, since they can't buy a multi tracker.

this seems like a good marker light resource, but the thing that decides it for me is:
the scout rule. if pathfinders use the scout rule on the start of a game. and thus move 6 inch. will they be able to fire heavy weapons ? or do they count as having moved.

also the stealth suit. I can't really see why i should take them. wasnt able to find much so if someone has a great piece of tactica or some personal advice. do share

that's about it for now.
thanks in advance for the answers :)

·
running
1,274 Posts
Stealth suits can put out a large volume of shots and are very well protected. The Jump Shoot Jump (JSJ) makes them very hard to target, and their stealth fields make it even worse for your opponent. They excel at taking out infantry, and are the only unit in the Tau army that can infiltrate.

The scout move is free and is taken before the first turn, so they don't count as moving.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm with ya buddy, I started off as Tyranid also and then moved to Tau. I love both armies.

Stealth suits are really really great. Period. They infiltrate and kill infantry without equal. They are great for taking objectives or straining the enemy's flank, forcing him to pay attention to them which is often futile because they are highly mobile and are well protected. They even have a nice little bonus most players forget about... if they get assaulted, they go at initiative 10 because of the stealth field. In 1500 points or higher I always take 6 and in smaller games I still take 4.

Pathfinders are good for markerlights, but are expensive. If only you didn't have to buy that silly devilfish for them... but at least you can upgrade it to a warfish and now you have a light tank on the board.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Pathfinders are definitely pricey but do serve as a pretty good support unit. I would say excellent, but even in cover they can get wiped out pretty quick and the point cost makes them a target.

Stealth Suits are nothing short of beautiful. Tough to see, good save, heavy hitting, good range (24" range with JSJ), fast, and, of course, Infiltration. They cost a good bit, but they can harass and entire flank as well as two or three units of Firewarriors.

If you want to try something fancy with them, you can actually give them Marker Drones too. A small unit of this (commonly called a Stealthfinder team) is very costly (roughly 300 points), but it will give you markerlights that can infiltrate to a superior position and can easily stay alive the whole game because of the Stealth field.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, you can also take a full Stealth Suit squad and give everybody two gun drones. Again, it'll cost a lot (around 300 points again), but you get a Stealthed unit that can move a foot a turn, hit with 18 burst cannon shots, 12 pinning twin-linked shots, and can still infiltrate. It's a big unit, but it'll take chunks out of pretty much anything.

Anyway, Pathfinders can be good (if they fit with your playstyle/army composition) Stealth Suits are just beautiful.

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
Don't put markerdrones with stealth suits.

Kroot can infiltrate.

Stealth = Teh Awesomeness.

Really, stealths will be your friends forever.
They are perfect un-upgraded, and you will find yourself relying on them.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
I've not tried using my stealth suits yet, so don't quote me.. But they strike me as an annoyance/psychological unit more than anything. But that said, there's huge value in that.. If the enemy is wasting time trying to shoot at/chase units they can't see, they're spending less of it on trying to kill other things in your army.

In terms of actually making back points, well, they seem good enough against hordes, but against power armour, for example, which let's face it forms the majority of units you'll encounter out there, I just don't think you're getting enough shots for the points to be really effective. But probably enough to be really annoying..

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
They are wonderful against hordes. Especially the 5+ save variety. I love them against Guard. Also, I would pit my stealths against a squad of MEQ's, just basic, any day. With their JSJ, they can slowly whittle down the opposing units. This forces the enemy to support their infantry with more units, maybe a tank or another squad. This means that there is less pressure on my forces elsewhere. This tactic can also lure enemy armor or squads to their death.

Also, in the case that an enemy hasn't experienced stealth suits close up yet, they can be frightening. Their firepower is daunting, and this can pin down enemy units behind cover for a turn. Also, their infiltrating ability is great because:
a) It denies that cover to enemy infiltrators.
b) it puts them in a position to halt, slow, or stop the enemy advance in that section/side, giving my units a position on the board free of enemy units where we can flee to. It is great. I love 'em.

·
1,105 Posts
Stealths suits are doubtlessly delightful. They're much more than an annoyance unit, though they excel in that role. I finally got to play orks for once, and my 6 man stealth squad, backed up by two markerlight hits, eliminated a 10 man squad of slugga boyz right when they disembarked from their vehicle. Against MEQs they are not as effective, though they still have that 1/9 kill rate. With a full squad that's minimum two dead MEQs per turn, and when backed by markerlights their damage improves (Bs3=1/9 rate, Bs4=1/7 rate, and Bs5=1/5.5).

Stealths are, as LittleBlueMan, great at denying the enemy infiltration space, are very resilient, and are quite useful for attacking rear armour on enemy guess-range weapons. Having a stealth team to eliminate that whirlwind that was bombarding my forces was immensely useful.

Stealth have a lot of upgrades available to them, but they are ultimately the best when taken with no upgrades and supported by markerlights. TAs get expensive, gun drones make the unit take up too much space and change the majority armour, markerlight drones are immensely expensive (use Pathfinders, Skyrays or the Spotter from Sniper Teams instead), fusion blasters de-specialize the unit making them ultimately less effective. Remember that the Stealth team is a harassing unit, is effective against enemy light infantry, ordnance and heavy weapon teams, and you will always be able to find a use for them even if the rest of your list is congested.

Take Stealth. They're worth their weight in gold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.