Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...
I am doing a club tournament the sunday after this one.....
And have decided i'm going to use my Friends Tau as i an paint it quick enough (it took me 2 hours to paint a terminator, and i want to do half of it again, and i have 16 to paint, along with 5 Drop pods and 5 Long fangs, and a Dread for my space Wolves army, that won't be done.... but i can dry brush tau, and paint the detail quite quickly, i plainted a Hammerhead in about 2 hours, then the second one in about an hour....)
Anyway... i just want some help deciding what to use, i think this is what he has:
Shas'o/el
2/3 Battlesuits (i would rather just use them as Bodyguards....)
over 50 Fire Warrios
10 or 20 Kroot
3 Broadsides
3 Hammerheads
2 Devilfish (possibley 3, i'm not sure...)
8 Pathfinders
he has a couple of broken Piraha things whatever there called, and an Etheral

I was thinking either using a standard army, with 36 Fire Warriors, Shas'o with 2 bodyguards, 8 pathfinders with the devilfish, 3 Broadsides, 2 hammerheads.... he has used that before, with some good results....
Or useing the 3 Hammerheds..... 3 Devilfish dunno...

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Mechanised has historically been the favoured playstyle of the Tau as it suits them rather nicely (they pack formidable multishot short - medium range weaponry, but their long range stuff is typically single shot, but very high S with excellent AP).

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
Hey...
I am doing a club tournament the sunday after this one.....
And have decided i'm going to use my Friends Tau as i an paint it quick enough (it took me 2 hours to paint a terminator, and i want to do half of it again, and i have 16 to paint, along with 5 Drop pods and 5 Long fangs, and a Dread for my space Wolves army, that won't be done.... but i can dry brush tau, and paint the detail quite quickly, i plainted a Hammerhead in about 2 hours, then the second one in about an hour....)
Anyway... i just want some help deciding what to use, i think this is what he has:
Shas'o/el
2/3 Battlesuits (i would rather just use them as Bodyguards....)
over 50 Fire Warrios
10 or 20 Kroot
3 Broadsides
3 Hammerheads
2 Devilfish (possibley 3, i'm not sure...)
8 Pathfinders
he has a couple of broken Piraha things whatever there called, and an Etheral

I was thinking either using a standard army, with 36 Fire Warriors, Shas'o with 2 bodyguards, 8 pathfinders with the devilfish, 3 Broadsides, 2 hammerheads.... he has used that before, with some good results....
Or useing the 3 Hammerheds..... 3 Devilfish dunno...
Well I would advise this, do not use them. If you are not experienced with Tau then just throwing a list together (no matter how good) and entering a tournie will result in one thing, disappointment.

Do you have any experience with Tau in 5th edition? if you do not then I would advise undercoating the Marine army (most clubs will allow undercoated models in tournies) and play that. You will have more chance of winning with an army you know and losing a few points on painting than getting more points on painting and losing most of the games.

Trust me Tau are not an easy army to play especially in tournies.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll just say this first:
I will not win the tournament anyway...
It is impposible to win without a painted army (at the last one my club held, someone won all 3 games, and came 2nd, to someone who only won 2, because he did not have a painted army...)

And then in answer to you question, i do have experiance, i have even bettern Double Lash at 1000pts with Tau, and was in a 1000pts torney at GW once... i have not played much with them, but am also planning on playing 5/6 diffrent armies with my Tau list before the tournament..... :p

I know how to play my friends list, mainly because i have lost and beaten it soo many times, we must have played each other him useing the same list about 15 times :S so i know how it works, i was just asking out of the stuff he has, if i can make a better list, as thats what i don't know much about.... actually building a Tau army, but i can play them fairly well.....

(oh he also has at least 6 stealth suites...)
What i am most worried about is the effectiveness of the pathfinders, and 2 hammerheads (with 3 Broadsides..) as i have said he has won a lot of games with that list, as well as losing, he was really poor with chaos, got Tau, came up with this list, and was unbeatable for quite a while (he did get some rules wrong in the process, like AP3 missile pods, and Fast skiming Hammerheads/Devilfish....)

I know its a bit silly, but i would rather get the pionts for painting and not come bottom, than lose with my Space Wolves, which i may also do, as i have not played that list yet, and would not have the time to play with it much.... because i would be painting it :S

Tau are a hard army to play as i know that, but i think i will do ok against a few armies...its my friends new army i'm worried about.... His ork Horde (90 ork boys) with 16 nobz in trukks with 2 warbosses...... :S

·
Stirling
760 Posts
I think the list will do ok. Hammer heads are pretty good and can do well against nidzilla, tank, or horde armies. I prefer at least 2 pathfinder squads but you work with what you got.

I say go have fun and hopefully stomp some faces for the greater good.

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Looks to me like you have all the tools you need to build an effective, competitive, tournament-worthy army. Check out the first post in my tactica (linked in my sig) for the kind of army list you can make with those units that I believe is one of the strongest lists available in 5th edition for any army.

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
Yep, totally agree that a fairly reasonable list can be built with the available stuff there.

Riki was right though about asking how much experience you had with playing Tau. They aren't as much a "pick-up-and-play" army as perhaps Space Marines might be, simply because they aren't as forgiving/resilient if you make a mistake. However, since you've faced off against your friend on a large number of occasions, you're bound to have learned a few of the "what not to do" things!

Enjoy your tournament play regardless whether you win or lose.

E.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.