Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I created these in response to my own dislike of the very cool Pathfinders. I believe this helps to offset many of their shortcomming and is in keeping with the fluff and fairness of the Tau Codex.

Tau Pathfinder Missile Team
Missile Team 17 Points

WS:2 BS:3 S:3 T:3 W:1 I:2 A:1 Ld:7 Save: 4+

Unit: A Pathfinder Missile Team consists of 4-8 Shas'la and must be atttached to a Pathfinder Team. They are deployed at the same time as the Pathfinders. They may be deployed anywhere in the Tau player's deployment zone.

Weapons: Missile Pack with Seeker Missiles and Plasma Missiles.
(These only respond to Markerlights hits)

Options: All Seeker Missiles can be equipped with Fusion warheads for +3 points per model.

Special Rules:

Seeker Missile Range: Unlimited S: 8 AP: 3 Heavy 1
---or---
Fusion Missile Range: Unlimited S: 8 AP: 1 Heavy 1 (Rolls 2D6 AP)

Plasma Missile Range: Unlimited S: 4 AP: 4 Heavy 1 Blast (Pinning Test)

Modeling: Take standard fire warriors assemble with scanners and grenades and put missile pods from the Crisis sprue in place of the backpack.

Comments?

·
Registered
346 Posts
how many missiles per fire warrior?

the seeker missile models i've used tend to be about as tall as a fire warrior so it could look kind of funny

i prefer the dedicated missile battery mounted on a devilfish

·
Registered
531 Posts
Now thats what ive been talking about the whole time!!!!!! :p :D :lol: B) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the Seeker Missiles on the vehicle sprues look cool but are oversized.
Given the Tau's grasp of technology their 'hunter killer' missiles should be smaller.
The Missile pods from the Crisis sprue and the SMS from the Hammerhead sprue both fit this bill in my mind.

The Seeker missiles and Plasma Missiles are NOT one shot deals!

This eliminates my biggest personal beef with Pathfinders: they are only good for one volley, and if your tansport dies they lose a big part of their usefulness.

·
Registered
335 Posts
WS2!!! You will be lucky if they do anything. Thats as bad as orks and makes no sense as pathfinders are meant to be accurate. Make the points more if you need to, just boost that BS

Whoops, mistook WS for BS. Sorry!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
The fact that they're attatched to a pathfinder squad is pretty cool, load the pf's into their devilfish, mark up a hidden whilwind and watch it dissapear... :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Originally posted by TEXE2003@Nov 3 2003, 22:25
WS2!!! You will be lucky if they do anything. Thats as bad as orks and makes no sense as pathfinders are meant to be accurate. Make the points more if you need to, just boost that BS

Whoops, mistook WS for BS. Sorry!!!
The markerlights means the hit on 2+ anyway. ;)

·
Registered
849 Posts
That's some pretty interesting stats.....I might use them myself, but how would you convert the models? I know the Seeker Missile off the Vehicle Blister is VERY huge and will be to big to fit onto the back of a normal Shas'la. Maybe convert a "walker" version? Never mind. Don't listen to me, just the ramblings of an old man.....

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Originally posted by Fae@Nov 3 2003, 15:56
The fact that they're attatched to a pathfinder squad is pretty cool, load the pf's into their devilfish, mark up a hidden whilwind and watch it dissapear... :D
but u still need LOS right? how would this solve the whirlwind prob if it is compleelty hidden?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Originally posted by Salamander@Nov 3 2003, 21:09
but u still need LOS right? how would this solve the whirlwind prob if it is compleelty hidden?
If this is a version of what many of us were talking about in another thread, then no, you don't need LOS. Seeker missiles don't need LOS, that's what the markerlights are needed for, and this is just an exstension of the seeker missile system already used in the Tau codex.

[edit: oh, and if you mean that the whirlwind can be completely hidden, well that's unlikely unless someone has set up a pretty imbalanced table. The point is that the pathfinders can move forward to find the necessary LOS, as normal, but now they have a better missile battery to use instead of the stupid one shot only seeker missiles that go kaput with the devilfish. The missile battery can remain hidden and provide better firepower than a pricey devilfish, but yes, the pathfinders themselves will still need LOS.]

·
Registered
849 Posts
Still though the idea is very compelling to me. Pathfinder Missile team. I love it! NOW HOW THE HELL AM I GOING TO CONVERT THEM?!?!?!?!? Someone please help me on this!!!!!!! :ph34r:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Either use left over missile bitz from the Tau, (smart missile systems or missile pods), or just make a modification of some IG heavy weapon's stuff, since those all fit on tri pods or something similar, they seem ideal.

Then you'll have to add some tau crewmen, of course, but the weapon was what you were worried about, I assume.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In my opinion the missile pod or SMS bitz could be used and here is why....

1. The Tau Missile Pod is S:7....

2. The Seeker Missile is only one better in S....

3. The Seeker Missile is about 6 times the size of the MP Missile....

Therefore the SM seems oversized fluff-wise and common-sense-wise.

Hope that made sense..... :blink:

·
Registered
849 Posts
Of course it made sense!! Why would a FW be carrying a huge ass SM missile? He would have to be VERY strong, which the codex does not necessarily imply......

·
Registered
166 Posts
if you want ot convert those mini's to carying a missle you could take the BS missile pod and glue it on the back/backpack of the pathfinder.

imo i would stick with the missiledrones but thats just me 8|

--for the greater good--

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't think the missile pods should be attached to the pathfinders, or a drone. The pathfinders are the spotters, and this is a missile team so I imagine them setting up a missile launcher, (tripod mounted or something, like an IG heavy weapons team setup), with some FW crewmen around it to operate it.

I guess it could also be mounted on a drone, but I just don't think that would look as cool as a missile rack pointed up at the sky and some crew standing around reading data, etc.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.