249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tau Piranha Scout Bike

Type: Tau Jet Bike

Unit: 3-6 Piranha Scout Bikes

Name: Piranha Scout

40 Pts WS:2 BS:3 S:3 T:3(4) W:1 I:2 A:1 Ld:7 Sv:3+

Weapons: 2 Twin-Linked Pulse Rifles.

Upgrades: One in three bikes may upgrade its 2 TL Pulse Rifles to a Burst Cannon for +10pts.

Special Rules: Tau Jetpack, Recoil Absorption.

For modeling use a VOID Syntha Sentinel 2000 Grav Bike and add Pulse Rifles from the FW sprue!

Thoughts on specs and fluffyness? :blink:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't imagine the Tau as using jetbikes to be honest, for fluff's sake. They seem like they're into special armor to augment their troopers just for purposes of making them better hunters with their guns, with little interest in traditional speed. (they don't have a single unit that can move more than 12", though many of them can retreat 18" :( )

Not to say that you couldn't come up with something of course, but I think that you should use more traditional speeder rules, (move 12", assault 6"), if you really want a speeder, otherwise it is just another jetpack unit, and not really very different from ones that already exist. Plus giving it a straight 12" move rather than 6"-fire-6" makes them less powerful, and so it would make other players more willing to let you field em I think. (non tau seem to complain so much about the pop up troops, I think your opponents would be less interested in letting you have another).

I really like the idea of recoil absorbtion though. I find it very annoying that the tau have that cool ability on their suits, but they get to make little use of it because their weapons are mostly of the assault sort.

I'm kinda confused by your notation though. Do you really mean "2 Twin-Linked Pulse Rifles"? That's some awesome firepower when combined with recoil absorb, though you did make them expensive. Also, why would anyone wanna pay 10 more pts for the Burst Cannon if they've already got 2 TL Pulse rifles?

I think 2 shots at 30" and 4 at 12", plus the much better odds added by the TL easily outweigh the value of the burst cannons 3 shots at 18" (phew, that's alot of numbers, hope that made sense).

·
Registered
464 Posts
jetbikes wouldn't work for tau as they have long ranged weaponry, here's an example:

eldar players like jetbikes because it allows them to get their 12" catapults in range quickly, tau have long range, so don't need to get close to the enemy to use them anyway.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I say that Tau aren't supposed to have jet bikes. Their focus is long range and armored vehicles, I just can't see them going farther than a walker!! Bikes aren't needed. But the rules you made do make sense and i would let you use them......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.