Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Can i get comments on this list... Mostly effectiveness comments, but also what i will need to add, to bring it to 2000pts.

Also what is bogus in the list and needs to be changed. ;Y

XV8 Shasel Commander
Plasma Rifle
Missile Pod
Targeting Array
HW Multi Tracker
97pts

XV8 BodyGuard Shasvre
Plasma Rifle
Missile Pod
Targeting Array
HW Multi tracker
82pts

XV8 Crisis Team (2)
Twinlinked Missile Pods
Targeting Arrays
106pts

Stealth Team XV25 (4)
Targeting Arrays
160pts

Firewarriors (12)
Shasui Team Leader
Bonding Knife
Markerlight
HW Target Lock
HW Drone Controller
2 Gun Drones
170pts

Firewarriors (12)
Shasui Team Leader
Bonding Knife
Markerlight
HW Drone Controller
2 Gun Drones
170pts

Firewarriors (12)
Devilfish
Decoy Launcher
205pts

Firewarriors (12)
Devilfish
Decoy Launcher
205pts

Kroot (10)
70pts

Piranha
Fusion
Targetting Array
70pts

Piranha
Fusion
Targetting Array
70pts

Hammerhead
Railgun
Burst Cannon
Decoy Launcher
Multitracker
165pts

Hammerhead
Railgun
Smart Missile System
Decoy Launcher
Multitracker
Target Lock
180pts

Total:1750pts

It's your list with an extra crisis suit and devilfish.

For 2k, add:

XV88 Broadside Team (2)
Advanced Stabilization Systems
Team Leader
HW Drone Controller
2 Shield Drones
195pts

·
Striving for the right
941 Posts
Hey,

Can i get comments on this list... Mostly effectiveness comments, but also what i will need to add, to bring it to 2000pts.
Hey! Welcome to the Greater Good, weirdboy! However, to get the most out of your question I think it would be an awful lot easier for those of us who'd like to be able to offer some suggestions if you could give us some idea of what Armies you face most (or is it just meant to be a stand-alone all-rounder sort of list?). Also whether this is list is for purely friendly, mildly competitive or seriously competitive games.

Maybe then we'll be in a position where we can offer you some helpful advice ... ... ...?

~ Ravenscraig ~

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey! Welcome to the Greater Good, weirdboy! However, to get the most out of your question I think it would be an awful lot easier for those of us who'd like to be able to offer some suggestions if you could give us some idea of what Armies you face most (or is it just meant to be a stand-alone all-rounder sort of list?). Also whether this is list is for purely friendly, mildly competitive or seriously competitive games.

Maybe then we'll be in a position where we can offer you some helpful advice ... ... ...?

~ Ravenscraig ~
Hey hey.

I am really excited at being a tau boy now ;Y

Well ideally it will play alot of winning club games and i am the type of guy who wants to win, but not win Hard and get shut down by other for it.

This army will definatly hit tourneys now and then and i would like it tuned ready to do so, basically a tourney army that i can tone down if i feel the need, but will be tourney ready 'as is'

In club games i mostly face eldar, SM and chaos (this in not to say i haven't versed others, although i have never in my many many ork games versed tau) i guess in tourneys i would assume that i will see alot wider range then just those.

Thanks in advance with comments, i really do need the help!!

·
Striving for the right
941 Posts
Hey hey.

I am really excited at being a tau boy now ;Y

Thanks in advance with comments, i really do need the help!!
Roger that. Stand by ... ... ...

~ Raven ~

·
Striving for the right
941 Posts
Hey,

Also what is bogus in the list and needs to be changed. ;Y

XV8 Shasel Commander
Plasma Rifle
Missile Pod
Targeting Array
HW Multi Tracker
97pts
As solid an HQ choice as any.
XV8 BodyGuard Shasvre
Plasma Rifle
Missile Pod
Targeting Array
HW Multi tracker
82pts
No, no, no! Never take a bodyguard - epecially only one - for your HQ since he (she?) will lose his (her?) IC status. Instead, think very hard about taking another HQ, after all, why not? Consider kitting him (her?) out with a PR/FB combo for close-in anti-MEQ stuff.
XV8 Crisis Team (2)
Twinlinked Missile Pods
Targeting Arrays
106pts
Another solid choice. I never leave home today without at least one squad o2 2 Deathrains in my Army.
Stealth Team XV25 (4)
Targeting Arrays
160pts
I never use use myself but most folks seem to swear by them. Others will be able to vouch for their usefulness, I'm sure.
Firewarriors (12)
Shasui Team Leader
Bonding Knife
Markerlight
HW Target Lock
HW Drone Controller
2 Gun Drones
170pts
A good solid Troops choice but why the 2 Gun Drones? Your FWs have a great range and your GDs only come into play at almost half that. Why not save the points for something (anything!) else?
Firewarriors (12)
Shasui Team Leader
Bonding Knife
Markerlight
HW Drone Controller
2 Gun Drones
170pts
Same detail as first squad above.
Firewarriors (12)
Devilfish
Decoy Launcher
205pts

Firewarriors (12)
Devilfish
Decoy Launcher
205pts
Good solid choices, given you highly mobile (and surviavble firepower). Think about giving your DFs MTs so they can fire as fast vehicles and also giving each squad Shas'uis with BKs since it's probable that these squads will be used closer to the enemy, probably in rapid fire range.
Kroot (10)
70pts
Another solid choice that gives you the very useful ability to infiltrate, decent enough firepower and a handy close combat ability. Another unit I never leave home without at least one of.
Piranha
Fusion
Targetting Array
70pts

Piranha
Fusion
Targetting Array
70pts
I think I'd most probably take the same. Some folks think they're too vulnerable as single vehicles but they give you a very useful fast counter-attacking unit that can seize objectives with ease in the last turn, as well as reaching any sneaky base-edge stuff like Whirlwinds or the like.
Hammerhead
Railgun
Burst Cannon
Decoy Launcher
Multitracker
165pts

Hammerhead
Railgun
Smart Missile System
Decoy Launcher
Multitracker
Target Lock
180ptsNo problems here. Both good solid and versatile choices.
Total:1750pts
For 2k, add:

XV88 Broadside Team (2)
Advanced Stabilization Systems
Team Leader
HW Drone Controller
2 Shield Drones
195pts
I think I'd be tempted to opt for an Ionhead and either another Piranha or a Squadron of Gun Drones or even another squad of 2 Deathrains. I like XV88s but I find them just a touch expensive for what they provide.

Other than the above comments, I reckon your list is pretty solid. You'll get other answers suggesting other variants but the main thing to do is get a good solid core list and then twaak it to suit your individual playing style. You'll know yourself once once you find the right sort of balance ... ... ...
Enjoy!

~ Raven ~

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice effort. i have been refreshing the page all night waiting and i must say, it was well worth it!

I don't have the codex on hand atm, but i think the gun drones do need to go also.

the bodyguard.. should he instead go as a single crisi on his own? or boost the other to 3 or should i get another and make it 2 units of 2 crisis?

I think i will give the DFs MTs, seems like a good option, maybe with the points i save from the drones?

Anyway, witht hose changes does that make it a good tourney army? or am i actually a LONG way from it being ready to take on the wild and wooley lists seen at toruneys?

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
ravenscraig made a lot of good points, the army is pretty close to cookie cutter which is a good sign, the other thing I would suggest is the marker lights on the foot FW squads seem a little superflous

·
Striving for the right
941 Posts
The bodyguard.. should he instead go as a single crisi on his own? or boost the other to 3 or should i get another and make it 2 units of 2 crisis?

Anyway, witht hose changes does that make it a good tourney army? or am i actually a LONG way from it being ready to take on the wild and wooley lists seen at toruneys?
Chered's point about the MLs in the FW squads is entirely valid. I don't take any such myself (3 x 10pts for a single shot BS3 weapon-enhancer is pricey in my book) but others believe that you can't take a Tau Army without them (there's just no accounting for taste!)

Personally I would go for a second squad of 2 XV8s, probably Fireknives (PR and MP). 2 units of 2 XV8s are rarely a bad choice. As for being a good tourney army? My view is that it looks OK but you'll only know once you've played, played and played with it. It might look great on (virtual) paper but you won't know if it suits you. You might find you'd rather take more Kroot and less FWs, by way of example, and you'll only know that by testing it out against other armies and other players of varying skills and temperaments.

When all's said and done, however, it looks good enough to me and is broadly similar to my own 1750 list which goes as follows. Whilst I can almost hear the laughter as I type, I have my own good reasons for what I've included:

HQ 1 - Shas'el - PR, FB, TA & HWMT
HQ 2 - Shas'el - BC, CIB, TA & HWMT

Elite 1 - Deathrain and Fireknife Tm Ld with HWTL
Elite 2 - Deathrain and Fireknife Tm Ld with HWTL
Elite 3 - 2 twin BCs with DC and 2 GDs each (now I can hear the laughter turning to coughs!)

Troop 1 - 8 FWs
Troop 2 - 7 FWs
Troop 3 - 6 FWs
Troop 4 - 10 Kroot
Troop 5 - 10 Kroot
Troop 6 - 10 Kroot & 5 Kroot Hounds

Fast Attack 1 - Piranha with FB, TA and FD
Fast Attack 2 - Piranha with FB, TA and FD
Fast Attack 3 - Piranha with BC, TA and FD
(I'm sure Riki will have a field day with these choices!)

Hvy Sp 1 - Railhead
Hvy Sp 2 - Railhead
Hvy Sp 3 - Ionhead

The 2 XV8s with the BCs and GDs are there for all the $%(&% Ork armies that seem to have sprung from the earth recently and the overall list allows me to take a 1250 or 1750 army to fit the competition criteria w/o wasting any points anywhere.

But still, this is just me, and though I do have a slightly quirky style, which I'd be the first to admit to, it works for me so all you have to do is find what works best for you.

~ Raven ~

Reactions: Da Boyzz

·
Registered
278 Posts
Great list Da Boyzz!

You mentioned that you wanted your list primed for tourny abuse, but you have not maxed out your heavy or elite slots. Tau's bread and butter come from those two areas, but as for what to fill them with is the though part.

FK's, DR's, and SS's are the normal elite choices.

Two RH's and a team of BASS I hear do very well, but there are other combinations that also perform just as well.

Slow down on the FW's. Two loaded Mech FW squads is all you will need especially if you have SS's and two RH's in your list.

More Kroot couldn't hurt.

This and what Raven posted should get you rolling into the right direction.

·
RAWR! KROXIGOR!!
1,935 Posts
AHH!! AHH!! Raven ... your list ... it Burns!!

Seriously his list is very unothodox (Stormcloud [my name for CIB/BC], mixed FK and DR units, Irritated Eyes with drones, units of 8 and 7 FW and a BC piranha), do not copy it in any way. (sorry if this was taken as an insult Raven)

Da Boyzz, I suggest you post your revised list in case anyone (like me :)) can suggest further.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.