Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Necrons. I hate them. Nothing more frustrating than shooting all but ONE model in a unit and having half or more stand back up. Pity excuse for "courage" and "power".

Now that I've vented some anger, I'd like to know what would be most effective against them.

Please reply with:

A unit to eliminate his Warriors.
A unit to go head to head with his Pariah squad.
A unit to destroy his Destroyers. (Redundancy is redundant)
A unit to take out his Tomb Spiders.

Please keep in mind that I do not want them to stand back up. It is extremely frustrating having them stand back up.
So I would prefer AP3 or better weapons from the Tau's armory.

Everything else in my best friends army I have figured out how to fairly match. But I just want other opinions on how to deal with the "We'll Be Back" bull crap.

For The Greater Good

·
That Which Has No Time
1,451 Posts
  • AP3 shots don't keep Necrons from rolling their WBB
  • Most Necron armies carry a resurrection orb that lets them WBB regardless of what killed them, so the only way to safely deny it is kill all models of one kind (not just an entire squad - ALL squads of that type!)
  • Your post is definitely NOT a finished tactica (in fact it's not a tactica at all) and thus does not belong here.
Sorry for not really helping.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I play necrons myself and the only real thing the is very deadly against necrons is Sweeping advance. Just try and get some assault going and wipe them out that way. I know tau isnt the best assault army, but maybe a big kroot unit can make a difference.

another idea is concentrate fire. user lots of plasma shots on 1 unit and hope that he isnt within 6 inch of another unit.

The only setback youll have is their 3+ armour save while you dont even have one.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
This thread will find better advice in the Tau forum, I'm gonna ship it over there.

*Thread Punted*

As for beating down Necrons. Two things.

1. Take away saves. Plasma rifles are a good start. You generally aren't going to negate WBB, so negate their saves instead. Taking a 4+ instead of a 3+ AND a 4+ will greatly cut down on our ability to stay standing.

2. Massed wounds. Just force GOBS of wounds, eventually you will put models down. Burst cannons, missile pods and the like can achieve this.

So really, it comes down to fireknife suits. And loads, and loads, and loads, of fire warriors pouring pulserifle fire downrange. A railgun or two to sort monoliths would also help.

As for pariahs/tomb spyders. A bit of plasma rifle love will take care of them. Neither can get back up, so if the save is gone, they're gone.

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
Hammerheads with Ion Cannons.
Helios suits (Plasma and Fusion with Multitracker, Targetting Array and hard-wired MT on Team Leader)
Deathrain+ for taking on the Destroyers: same range, higher strength, one less shot. Re-rollable though due to twin-linking and hitting with same BS as Necrons due to Targetting Array.

Combat is the best method to get rid of an entire squad if they fail their Leadership, since there is no WBB rule if a unit is caught by Sweeping Advance.

E.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Alzer. Brand new at this.

Happy with the feedback gents.
Now I gotta learn all of the Battlesuit acronyms, configurations, and names.

Catch ya'll at the Tau Forums.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Destroyers arent hard at all. plasma rifle spam and get the whole squad down so they get none of that WBB crap. tomb spiders are annoying cus they can give themselves alot more wounds, but the best you can do is AP them as much a possible. pariahs arent a real threat until they get close and even them you can only afford so many so shoot the living (or nonliving) crap out of em.

I personally despise them too but there is little you can do about it other wound them as much as physicly possible.

Remember to type out full words.
Alzer

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
The trick to beating necrons is to understand WBB.

They need a like model within 6" (12" for a Spyder). Concentrate on a unit at a time, don't splatter the army with fire.

Kill the stuff that is out of range of WBB, and concentrate on phase out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The strategy I use up against my best friend is quite simple.

Rush my Pathfinders at his Destroyers. Hit, mark, maybe wound, then Seeker Missile. If his unit of 4 survives that it usually always is with just ONE model. That's when my HQ hits it with the TL-PR and Missile Pod.

With Destroyers gone I send my Stealthsuits to his Tomb Spiders. Burst cannons, at least one or two wounds, one guaranteed wound with FB and lucky if I mark it, after I mark it hit it with Seeker missile.
That eliminates ONE of his TWO Tomb Spiders.

I send my Kroot to his Pariahs and they do surprisingly well actually. My unit of 12 Kroot and 1 Rider took out his 5 Pariah's in just two CC rounds. Very proud.

By NOW, I've lost either a whole Fire Warrior unit or there are 3-4 left in one unit. That's due to his Immortals and Necron Lord. I rush my gun drones, HQ, and a unit of 12 Fire Warriors to shoot the nonliving crap out of them. Half of em will stand back up. Annoying as hell man. I think I just need more XV8 suits that's all. Something to hit em hard every time and every turn.

·
Registered
730 Posts
id replace the krootox rider with a few kroot hounds instead, but good strategy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts