Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm just starting out at 40k, and I've decided to try out the Tau army.

I'm going to have a match against a friend who plays with Space Marines.

Any advice?

I know that Tau are good at range, and I should do my best to stay out of close combat, and somehow avoid his drop pods/deep strike... (he does that a lot)

Thanks!

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Firstly, welcome to The Greater Good! Let's keep the Empire expanding.

It's difficult to answer your question because there are a lot of things we need to know first. Such as how many points are you playing? What kind of list do you expect to face? (I.e., what is the Marines player bringing?) What models do you have available?

Otherwise, all we can really tell you is general stuff like:

Focus fire and eliminate one unit at a time.
Use your superior mobility to pick off isolated enemy units with localized, overwhelming force.

And so on. Helpful, perhaps, but probably not as specific as you're looking for. Do check out the army lists in the army list subforum; lots of interesting loadouts can be found there to spark your imagination.

·
The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss
2,841 Posts
I would echo what number6 has said about points, models available, how your opponent plays, etc. Then I would advise a careful double-read through your codex, particularly in the sections concerning the wargear and weapons so that you know clearly what each is capable of doing.

E.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for reply.

Actually, my friend gave me his army list in advance, telling me exactly what he would use in this game, to help me out a bit.

Here's the specifics:

>1500 point match

He has:

>Terminator Command Squad
>with Thunder Hammers
>10 units

>Vet Squad
>10 units

>Land Raider

>2 SM Squads
>10 men each

>1 Sargent
>Lightning claws

He also wrote down something about power weapons and a.. bdl..? (its pretty messy) pistol.

Some ideas I had were to try to make a barrier with tanks, and evenly place kroot around my army, so he can't deepstrike right into my men with assault units, and instantly win.

I'm unsure whether to spread out my army, or keep them all in one place.

Also, I can include whatever units I want in this army, I'm borrowing a very large set to try things out. Battlesuits look appealing :curl-lip:

Soo...any recommendations?

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Your opponent is dangerously low on Troops. In 2/3 of the games you play, you can guarantee yourself a draw (at worst), simply by eliminating 20 Space Marines. That shouldn't prove too difficult, almost no matter what you pick. He's better off for Annihilation, as his low unit count (assuming he doesn't use Combat Squads ... and why would he?) gives him a slight advantage over almost any army you can build for the same points.

Still, you will easily be able to outrange and outshoot him. His list is a pure Earthy list: it's all about resilience and toughness. His army's main focus is simply to be too tough to eliminate, and thus able to survive what you throw at it while hitting extremely hard when it tangles with you. But other than the single land raider, he doesn't have any mobility or speed.

So his weakness plays right into a typical Tau army's strength! Load up on speedy/mobile units, and you'll do fine. Just stay out of arm's reach, surround and pounce upon isolated units, and you'll be fine.

I'd look to take a pair of hammerheads with railguns. Those should handle the land raider in short order, and then you can turn the guns onto the marines.

Take a Skyray as your 3rd heavy. The markerlights will be handy, as will the seeker missiles.

I'd also take a pair of Fireknife Shas'els in your HQ. That's plasma rifle, missile pod, targeting array, hard-wired multi-tracker for the loadout. These guys hunt down marines or terminators, whatever is handy. I'd also want 2-3 more Fireknives as Elite Crisis. Depending on how much you're willing to splurge and/or deal with multiple units, you can take 2-3 monats or even a single squad of 2-3 suits. (These guys will probably not have targeting arrays for the third suit hardpoint; a multi-tracker is more important.)

You could take Deathrains instead of Fireknives for the Elites. I.e., twin-linked missile pods and either a targeting array (better BS, slightly pricier) or flamer (occasionally useful, cheaper). This loadout will save you points. I really like having plasma rifles, personally, to deny armour saves across the board, but you do have to be closer in to do so, making the suit slightly riskier to use over a Deathrain. Which way you roll is up to you. (And nothing's stopping you from taking a mix, either, of course.)

And if you can take even more Crisis suits, do so! But don't skimp on your Troops, either! I'd want to have about 4 Troops choices at this points level.

Filling out the core: take at least two full squads of Fire Warriors. Be sure that each squad has a Devilfish.

Everything after that is totally up to taste.

Take 1-2 more Fire Warrior squads if you can afford it.

Take 1-2 Kroot squads with a mess of Hounds. These guys make great counter-charge and harrassment units against Marines. But don't skimp on Hounds! These guys can actually put a surprising hurt on those guys.

It's worth considering a squad of Pathfinders. Using markerlights to guarantee hits and reduce cover saves is a godsend. Give the mandatory devilfish to a squad of fire warriors.

And so on. ;) Consider posting an army list for feedback in the army list subforum stickied up top.

And good luck! Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great, thanks!

I'll be sure to use your recommendations against him ;)

One thing I'm worried about, though. You mentioned how I'll be able to use my mobility against him well. I would agree, but this particular opponent has a thing for deep striking.

He will probably only start with 1 or 2 squads of SM on the table, waiting to deep strike all his terminators in as close as possible.

I know he will do this: haven't seen a game yet when he hasn't,,,

What would you recommend to counter this?

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
One thing I'm worried about, though. You mentioned how I'll be able to use my mobility against him well. I would agree, but this particular opponent has a thing for deep striking.

He will probably only start with 1 or 2 squads of SM on the table, waiting to deep strike all his terminators in as close as possible.
I assumed this would be the case. And it's A Good Thing for you! This is why you need to keep everything mobile. All Fire Warrior squads are mounted in Devilfish and not exposed on the ground, static. Kroot should infiltrate or outflank to put pressure on. You're taking hammerheads instead of broadsides not just because he doesn't have a lot of armour, but because hammerheads are fast.

On the first couple of game turns, put the pressure on his Troops and eliminate them. Surround and pick them off. Keep your Fire Warriors mounted unless you can screen them off from a possible arrival of Terminators. Once the termies start dropping, you will have the speed and ability to simply run away, regroup, and then pounce again. Just like you did on the Troops from the start of the game.

His army arrives piecemeal. Pick off each piece as it arrives, one at a time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.