Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Its me again, lol. Just wondering what I should take against a 1K point Death Guard army... I know almost exactly what this guy uses, because I've seen him play about 2 billions times. He wanted to play me because he doesn't think that girls can win, so... This is personal.:((

His list:

HQ
Lord with Mark of Nurgle, Manreaper, Daemonic Strength

Troops
7 men, 1 sarge with power fist, 2 with plasma. All in Rhino with Smoke Launchers and Extra armor. Two of these units.

7 men 1 sarge with power fist (I think...) 2 with meltaguns. All in Rhino with Smoke and Armor.

Heavy Support
Dread with Twin Linked Lascannon, extra armor and mutated hull.

I don't remember anything else, so I think this is about it...

We'll be playing a standard mission of some sort, and likely at the Gamma level.

My list so far is like this...

HQ
Chaplain with Jump Pack, Frag Grenades and free Crozius. Has Death Company as well.
Pts: 217

Troops
5 man tactical squad: 1 vet sarge with bolter, 1 with Lascannon, 3 with Bolters and 1 with Plasma gun. 2 of these units

5 Scouts: 4 with Sniper Rifles, 1 Vet Sarge (for the Death Company)

7 man Tactical squad: 1 Vet Sarge with Power Fist and Bolt Pistol, 1 with Plasma Gun, 5 with bolters. All in BA Rhino with Extra armor and smoke

So far... I'm up to 866. I need to reach 1K, but I don't know what more to add. I thought of a Predator, but I don't have room... An Assault Squad isn't gonna do much against that beefy toughness, even with a charge, I don't think so... I'm kinda stuck. Any advice is welcome (as long as it won't fit into the "ass hattery" category.

Thanks in advance!:yes:

·
Registered
131 Posts
mmm nurgle :)

hey hows it goin i think his list looks pretty solid considering its only 1k could you tell us about what models you have that way we know what we can work with.

but i would say that you dont wanna get too close to him because his high toughness is a real pain in close combat and he has some plasma and meltas that can lay down some serious hurt dreadnoughts i dont really worry about until they get close but yeh just give us some more info on what units you have available :)

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well... I've got... Too many models.:p I've got about 25 Assault Marine models (some of which are used for Death Company until I'm not too cheap to buy them anymore, lol) a Chaplain, a bunch of tactical marines, 2 Land Speeder Tornados... Arg. I can't remember the rest, because my army is at the store, lol.

Sorry I can't help more than that...:cry:

·
Registered
131 Posts
hmmmm

lol ok fair enough, what about a battle plan have you got one considering you have seen him play you should have spotted some weaknesses in his gameplay

ok heres what i think

drop the larger squad, invest in either a devastator squad with 4 missles or get a pred with lascannons because whilst you have 2 lascannons already in this game its just not enough

and maybe drop the scouts im not sure because there rifles arent goin to do much against his 3+ save maybe get a small assault squad with 2 plasma pistols in and a sarge with a plasma pistols get into rapid fire range and melt his squads :) then that way you have a bit of close combat and a bit of heavy so the plan would be take out the rhino's then the dread shoot the hell out of the troops then counter assault them :) i hope im of any use lol

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I thought of that, but I'm not sure how I'm gonna capture objectives at that point. Like... The Rhino squad is the only thing that can really take an objective. We'll likely not end up playing Seek and Destroy, but... We could. Gawd, I hate not knowing what mission I'm playing... lol.

Hmm... Maybe a Baal?

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
HQ
Lord with Mark of Nurgle, Manreaper, Daemonic Strength
This Lord is slow. Very, very slow, unless he was given Daemonic Speed/Infiltration. He should be fairly easy to take out, and just as easy to avoid. Don't let him get into CC with some of your more valuable Troops, though... he will tear them to pieces.

Troops
7 men, 1 sarge with power fist, 2 with plasma. All in Rhino with Smoke Launchers and Extra armor. Two of these units.
Very expensive units to throw into a weak Rhino... I'd probably concentrate all fire on these Rhino's, as Plasma Guns are more likely to toast your Marines than Melta Guns when within 12". If you charge into CC against them, make sure you have enough attacks/Initiative to go first, and wipe the squad out. Otherwise, that Power Fist will hurt your Marines pretty badly.

7 men 1 sarge with power fist (I think...) 2 with meltaguns. All in Rhino with Smoke and Armor.
Same as above, except Plasma Guns are more dangerous to your standard Marines.. if you have in-your-face vehicles, might want to watch out for this one.

Heavy Support
Dread with Twin Linked Lascannon, extra armor and mutated hull.
An awful lot of points thrown into this guy, and one well-aimed Lascannon can take him out. Not the highest of priorities, unless you want to keep your vehicles alive.

As for your list...

HQ
Chaplain with Jump Pack, Frag Grenades and free Crozius. Has Death Company as well.
How many Death Company? Not bad, but you might consider upgrading to twin Lightning Claws for this one.. if possible. The re-rolls to Wound will greatly help you against the Death Guard's higher Toughness.

Troops
5 man tactical squad: 1 vet sarge with bolter, 1 with Lascannon, 3 with Bolters and 1 with Plasma gun. 2 of these units
Only problem with these guys is the size. If two of these Marines die, you'll start taking morale checks up the yang and they are quite easy to toast. One of those DG squads would tear them up in both close combat, and in shooting. The only plus with these guys, that I can see, is that they are semi-sacrificial... you won't be too hurt if you lose one. You may want to consider a slightly bigger squad.

Not bad, but I prefer even-numbered units, so all I would do is add another Scout. However, fine as-is. The biggest problem is, however, the fact that they really have no purpose against the Death Guard list. Sure, they can wound reasonably well, but they aren't anti-armour, etc. etc. You might consider throwing a Missile Launcher in there, to help the Lascannons against the Rhinos and Dreadnought.

7 man Tactical squad: 1 Vet Sarge with Power Fist and Bolt Pistol, 1 with Plasma Gun, 5 with bolters. All in BA Rhino with Extra armor and smoke
What is the purpose of this unit? If it assault, I'd recommend dropping the Plasma Gun for a Melta Gun. However, if it's just shooting/objective taking, it's not bad as it is, but it is slightly undermanned. That Rhino, though, isn't going to last very long. All of the anti-tank in the entire DG list is going to be aimed at it at the start, as it's the only vehicle there.

Things you need vs. Death Guard: AP3-2 weapons, high-S weapons, and against this particular list, a healthy amount of anti-tank.

Death Guard are hard nuts to crack. Good luck!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
131 Posts
ok

ok heres a list i just drew up quick and this is using the marine codex im not sure about the special rules of the tearers and it doesnt have any honour guard and the prices might be a bit off im not sure im getting tired.. and i got a full day of battles tomoro lol and that list works out to be 1001 pts according to the way i have done it

1 Master of Sanctity @ 161 Pts
Rosarius; Close Combat Weapon (x1); Crozius Arcanum
1 Artificer Armor
1 Bionics
1 Jump Pack
1 Rosarius
1 Terminator Honors

4 Tactical Squad @ 100 Pts
Bolter (x2); Lascannon (x1); Plasmagun (x1)
1 Sergeant, Bolter

4 Tactical Squad @ 100 Pts
Bolter (x2); Lascannon (x1); Plasmagun (x1)
1 Sergeant, Bolter

7 Tactical Squad @ 180 Pts
Bolter (x8); Plasmagun (x1)
1 Sergeant, Bolter
1 Rhino @ [50] Pts
Storm Bolter

4 Assault Squad @ 160 Pts
Bolt Pistol & CCW (x2); Plasma Pistol & CCW (x2); Frag Grenades
1 Sergeant @ [62] Pts
Terminator Honors; Plasma Pistol (x1); Power Fist (x1); Frag Grenades

1 Predator Annihilator @ 145 Pts
Twin-Linked Lascannon; Lascannon (x2)

4 Devastator Squad @ 155 Pts
Missile Launcher (x4)
1 Sergeant @ [15] Pts
Bolter

·
Registered
381 Posts
Even w/my BT's I tend to stand back

Shoot city. Take those Lander Speeders. Dump the scouts. I'd want to be as far away as possible. My brother in law plays Death Guard. I've played against them around 20 times. The AC/HB combo is the squad killer. Especially with the squad of 7 guys. They won't make it. His dread has that weird psycho roll....but he is sloggin' so you can assualt him when you want. If he took infiltrate and dumped those transports you might be in trouble. That extra point of toughness is annoying. Fill out your tactical squads to max strength. If he does assault, you need as many wounds protecting that PF as possible. Realistically, you don't need that Las cannon because he has no real armor. Dread will be 13. So what. Max range for all his shooting is 24 except for the dread. He has no heavy weapons.....
Wow what a jumble of information....

ANYWAY The theme being shoot for as long as possible. 5's to wound sucks when he gets a 3+ save.

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
The death guard player has maid a huge mistake putting faith in the rihnos destory the rihnos while his troops are inside to force him to take a lot of armour saves. And it also appears his HQ will ride in one of the rihnos?

HQ
This guy does have a bolt pistol and termintor honours right?

A) lose the plasma gun and keep the squad 5 man

B) add one marine

This is death gaurd, scouts are just weaker marines to them. Lose these dudes.

This squad is also not very effective. BA rihnos are over priced and serve very little purpuse, I suggest you field 3 of the lascannons/plasma gun squads.

I think overall this saves you some points and gives you way more shooty power.

Your best bet it to field another assault squad, consider this:

A 10 man squad of blood angles with bolt pistols except 2 plasma pistols. The plasma pistols cut down at least one member of the death guard. statistically youll force him to roll 7 armour saves, that 2 failed. So youve removed 3 marines before he can strike, (probably more since youda been shooting this unit) Now he can strike back with 6 models, at his lower inishative. So thats 12 attacks, 6 hits, 3 wounds, 1 dead BA. Now, both powerfists go, youve got 4 attacks and hes got 3, if you both hit twice, and killed 2 marines, youd bring his squad down to 5 members left. youd fall to 7.

Next round, you strike at the same time so: 8 DG attacks: 4 hits, 2 wounds, you might lose a marine.. Then you strike, with 12 attacks, 6 hits, 2 wounds, not bad. Maybe he loses another as well. Both fists go again, so 2 more dead to each side, thats 2 DG versus 4 BAs.

A powerfist and plasma pistol make it out, but hey, your DC will do 3 times better. Meaning you can easly trade this squad to limit his numbers.

And also landspeeder tornados are effective against deathgaurd but not as good as an assault squad, but if you can afford both....

Anyway good luck

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,148 Posts
I see you have tornado's, don't leave them at home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts