Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just won a techpreist and was trying to make room for him in my list. But this brought up the question are they worth puting in the game? tech preists are way better and almost the same points. What do you think are tech preist worth taking at all?

Also i would really like some tips on painting,

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I just won a techpreist and was trying to make room for him in my list. But this brought up the question are they worth puting in the game? tech preists are way better and almost the same points. What do you think are tech preist worth taking at all?

Also i would really like some tips on painting,
Well, a Techpriest with Servitors costs 80 pts for a unit that can only repair tanks. And that's IF the tank in question is within walking-range of them (they don't get a Chimera option) when it's damaged.

What else could I get for those 80 pts?

1) 8 Melta guns (or Autocannons)
2) A Hydra (75 pts)
3) Marbo (65 pts)
4) A Vet Squad w/2 Grenade Launchers
5) An Infantry Squad w/Plasma Gun and Missile Launcher
6) An Astropath AND a Fleet Officer (60 pts)

All of which are much better to have than a Techpriest that might or might not be used in a game.

·
Registered
3 Posts
But they can do other things than repairs. As I recall it, Techpriest and servitors are all armed with one attack powerfists. And they can take more punch than the standard guardsman. That sounds like a decent close combat-unit if it´s guard. Not sure if it´s point-worth though.

My first post in librarium-online by the way:dance:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Only time I ever use a techpriest is to stand in front of my baneblade in apoc, to fix its guns should they break down, and counter-charge anything that tries to melee it.

I love the concept of the techpriest(A unit that can repair tanks), but not the way the unit itself works, nor how much it costs.

BTW, Kgoreham: Techpriests are 45 + 15/servitor, not sure where ya got 80. 75 would get u 2 servitors, but personally if I were to use'em I'd go with 4 (Guaranteed fix) for 105 points. (That's also 5 powerfist attacks + 2 Power sword attacks)

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Short answer? No.
Long Answer? Nope.

They're too many points for their special Rules. Plus to make those special Rules any good you need to add servitors which are, again, over priced. By the time you've bought a Techpriest with his necessary Servitors you could have bought another Tank.

If you want Servitors with, say, Heavy Bolters get an Inducted Inquisitor with 3 Warriors armed with H-Bolters. The unit will be half the cost if not less than the Techpriest unit. Sure they wont be able to repair vehicles but the Inquisitor servitors are BS4.

Painting:
How did you want to paint him? Metallic Red Armour? Just Plain Metal for the Armour? Red Robes?
I did mine with a Metallic Red for the armour by mixing Blood Red with Tin Bitz to give a reddy Rusty Brown. I mixed more blood red into the Mix to highlight. It's pretty simple.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't think they were worth it, but it is the only thing that can repair tanks and in an armor oriented army you kind of have to use what you got. Thanks for the painting advice. I'm liking the metallic red robes.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
In my fluffy list i've used the CCS to represent the techpriest and the Veterans are his personal BodyGuard of Servitors. Sure he can't fix vehicles but he can order people about, has better stats and his servitors are now BS4 with some plasma guns!.
Adding some Veterans in Carapace armour to represent Skitarii or the like to your list just adds to the fluff.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I stand corrected, 75 pts. for a TechPriest and 2 Servitors.

But they can do other things than repairs. As I recall it, Techpriest and servitors are all armed with one attack powerfists. And they can take more punch than the standard guardsman. That sounds like a decent close combat-unit if it´s guard. Not sure if it´s point-worth though.
The question you have to ask yourself is, can they stand up to a charge by 10-20 Orks. If the answer is no (and it is) then they're worthless in close combat. The only use for them would be charging tanks, but there's much better choices for tank hunting. Such as a CCS w/3 meltas for 5 fewer points or a Hydra.

You can give them heavy weapons too, but that doesn't make them a decent ranged attack unit either.

To cap it off, you can't give them a Chimera so that they can keep up with an armored company.

My first post in librarium-online by the way:dance:
Congrats!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sometimes just to get on peoples nerves i take a tach preist and have him camp beheind my baneblade. But your right it is pricy just to baby sit. I mean the tach marine is only a few points more and way better

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.