Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are techpriests in this new edition worth their point/monetary cost? I have yet to see major consensus regarding this and thus have composed this simple inquiry. In fact, I've seen a great many people say they've never even used them. So, what do you folks that were brave enough to experiment with these Machine cultists think of them?

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
Are techpriests in this new edition worth their point/monetary cost? I have yet to see major consensus regarding this and thus have composed this simple inquiry. In fact, I've seen a great many people say they've never even used them. So, what do you folks that were brave enough to experiment with these Machine cultists think of them?
Freakin' awesome for me.

Just don't use them to repair vehicles, and you'll be fine! I run mine as a devastator equivalent squad, 3 heavy bolters and a plasma cannon all at BS 4.

But then again, I just wouldn't have a skitarii army if I didn't use techpriests would I? :)

·
durus
2,578 Posts
They can be effective if used just like Cadaver Junkie posts, but effective for the points.........??????

If you ever play Apocolypse with a Baneblade, just put four Servitors with a Techpriest behind the Baneblade and fix all those Weapon distroyed and Immobilised on a 2+! Annoyes the hell out of your opponents!!!!:sinister:

·
Registered
136 Posts
I use one techpriest and two tech/gun servitors in larger games where I'lll use over three LRBT's or Basilisks, he generally just stays within the vicinity of the tanks and shoots down any annoying flankers (ex. deffkoptas) and runs from vehicle to vehicle repairing them on 4+'s.

He's saved my games a few times now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wouldn't Tech-priest enginseer more efficient if he was given 'Honorifica Imperialis' and 'Medallion Crimson' and some Techinical servitors in large point game? I mean, just to make sure that the tech-priest enginseer would survive longer in order to repair damaged tanks in my opinion.

·
Registered
762 Posts
other then repairing vehicles, it seems like a techpriests only use is to act like a shooty inquistor equivelent. at least the inquisitor has access to a psychich hood

·
Registered
20 Posts
Lotta good suggestions so far...

Bear in mind that you can get 2 TPs in that one selection and in Apocalypse, I'd use 'em both.

The 85 point squad as repair @ 2+ as mentioned above and the other as bad dude tank hunters as below

Drop troops for free or Chimera for 85 points.

This does double duty as tank hunters (God help 'em at 12" range or less) or terminator killers (also likely when dealing with a LR player and out to ranges 24" and 36" respectively with that small template for the PC. Remember, there are no partials in 5th edition!)

Rare earth magnets will allow me to equip any way I want.
Ghost

Techpriest Enginseers 45
Signum 15 (Re-roll 1 missed shot per turn!)
Gun Servitors 10 @ 4 = 40 (BS 4!)
Multi-meltas 25 x 3 = 75
Plasma Cannons x1 @ 35 35
Total points: 210

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wouldn't Tech-priest enginseer more efficient if he was given 'Honorifica Imperialis' and 'Medallion Crimson' and some Technical servitors in large point game? I mean, just to make sure that the tech-priest enginseer would survive longer in order to repair damaged tanks in my opinion.
I thought about that, but there's no point. Read the entry for those two things. He just gets the stats of an HSO but doesn't become one so he doesn't boost morale around him.

Just don't think it's worth the added points cost.
Ghost

·
Registered
19 Posts
I find Tech Priests to be a very useful counter assault unit, they can hang back in the line with two tech and two combat servitors to repair firebase tanks (like a Basi) on a 4+ and if the enemy come to try and take the tank out close up or to enter the lines...well, a power weapon and a nice handful of powerfists is likely to help dissuade them or at least make them regret it.

The fact you can get two of them for a single FoC selection is just a nice bonus.

I've considered giving a Tech Priest the Honorifica and the Medallion, the bonus is in the added wounds and instant death immunity rather than making him into a leadership rock to hang your army around. I'm unsure if the Medallion would really be much help in the grand scheme, the extra wounds and attacks from the Honorifica however are an ideal option if you've got the points and want the counter assault unit.

When I finish my scout bikers to rough riders conversion I'll be fielding a high tech themed guard army and might try and slip in the Coggie with an Honorifica in the 2000pt version. If I do I'll let you know how that goes.

·
Official Lol Cannon
970 Posts
Yeah in my Ad Mech army i have 4 ogryns with a Techpriest with Honourifica, that's close combat as guard gets.

·
Registered
610 Posts
This is the thing I love about playing IG, there are just so many units that, I at least, have never even tried.

Reading this thread I'm inspired to dig out my Techie and paint him up and run with it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts