Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
i was scanning the SM codex and read all the tecmarine stuff. they are * points and if u buy the harness they are * exactly,k for this you get ********** This is far better than the normal chappie or lord and if you take Scions of mars the techamrine gets *!

of course you cant use them all but think of the choices

What r ure views on techmarines???/

[EDIT BY CHAOSBRYNN: You posted nearly all the information from the techmarine entry. You are now om probation for serious infractions against the rules. If I see you do this again, you will be banned.]

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
They suck.

They have a WS and BS that is equal to a normal tactical space marine. They're really not that great as HQ choices. I played Iron Hands for a short time, and I hated that rule. The servo harness really isn't that special either. Not to mention the stupid Blessing of the whatever it's called thing isn't any good at all either, because it takes at LEAST 2 turns to get it working. You've got to move into contact in one turn, then wait until next turn to attempt the roll.

IMO, they are the WORST entry in the Space Marine Codex. Yes, that's right. I actually like Land Speeder Typhoons better.;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm

lol i didnt say they are good (they suck) im seeing what other peole think

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
Exactly.:tongue: I am a other person. I'm sure others will agree as well, lol. I saw a thread about this a few months back, and the poor Techmarines got very badly picked on, lol.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Give it a servo harness, plasma pistol and powerfist. Thats lots of powerfist attacks and potentialy 4 plasma shots.

However this is expensive and worthless. Fluffy yes. Otherwise take a Chaplain.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
I find techmarines make geat super sergeants, they aren't meant to be front line fighters, they work best (in my experience) sitting near tanks and 12" away from tactical squads, so if the tacts. get assaulted with something they can't handle he can waltz over there and provide a bit of extra punch.

Most people say they suck but techmarines in the right place are quite handy to have around, they only really work in shooty and tank heavy lists.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Its to bad they arent great preformers, beacuse they are teh best modle next ot the dreadnought.

Maybee in a tank heavy army, but thats not the spacemarines cup of tea, LOL.

Imagine some blood soaked BA, sitting down for a nice tea break.:yes:

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
Eh, Kate's right, they suck.

I tried them for a couple of games and then I happily went right back to my Chaplain. It's too bad too, they are great models and I spent a lot of time painting a couple of them, but I won't use them.

They look pretty in my display case tho!

·
No Rest For the Righteous
1,140 Posts
I've used Techmarines alot, and the key to using them is to be smart in what role you use them as. They aren't front line fighters, as The Outsider said, they serve to support your squads. I take mine basic without the servo harness or any upgrades or servitors, just to provide reliability with his leadership(I dont always have a Marshal with me) and for signum rerolls on improtant heavy weapons. I have even had a game where he went off and repaired my Dreadnought, and when something actually does get repaired, it makes a big difference. An immobile vehicle is non scoring, but once its mobile, you just scored all those points back.

I disagree that Techmarines are not worth it. There was a Tournament I saw where an Iron Hands player who swept the tourney undefeated and he had a Techmarine HQ and 2 Dreadnoughts and 2 tanks among other things. Give him the Servo harness and Iron Halo, term honours, a bolt pistol, and suddenly you've got 4 power weapon attacks and 2 power fist attacks, every single turn without a charge. Other characters at their max only get 5 attacks without a charge, and its all one kind of weapon.

You can keep him nearby a Venerable Dreadnought and bolster his survivability, and defend him from assualts from tank hunters. If you play games with sufficient cover, a Techmarine with 4 heavy bolter servitors can be a nice sub for devestators, especially if you find a bunker to put them in.

I'm not saying they're really good, but they have their uses. They're more useful to Templar players now because of their crusade seals, and our lack of sergeants and characters to put equipment on.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Just a suggestion. They might be useful if you used them as part of a squad that was advancing in a Land Raider Crusader.

Assuming of course that you can fix the crusader from the inside if it gets a weapon blown off or immobilized while you're advancing.

I mean technically you're already in contact right?

·
Dawn Under Heaven
2,971 Posts
To answer Grey's question. I believe you have to be outside of the vehicle on the start of the turn to fix it. I think the justification was that he had to spend the same amount of time scrambling out of the vehicle as would have walking to it from the outside. You can't fix a blown track from inside the raider afterall.

However, if we're being tricky here. If the vehicle suffered a pentrating hit on the same turn it was immobilised (or had a weapon destroyed) don't forget that penetrating hits cause you to automatically disembark on your opponents turn, so come your turn you will have you techmarince in B2B contact and ready to fix the vehicle (Of course, this is assuming the techmarine and friends survive whatever gunfire that comes their way to).

·
Registered
655 Posts
Grey said:
Just a suggestion. They might be useful if you used them as part of a squad that was advancing in a Land Raider Crusader.

Assuming of course that you can fix the crusader from the inside if it gets a weapon blown off or immobilized while you're advancing.

I mean technically you're already in contact right?
The rules explicitly state that you cannot be inside of a vehicle to repair it. However, it does say that you may disembark and then repair in the same turn.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I saw someone put one in a SM Plasma Tactical Squad but also in base to base with a Predator next door. He save both the plasma gunners for sure. Plus he glued the TLLC on the Predator back on twice.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Alright, think about this one, put a techmarine, Servoharness, Termihonors, Powerfist, and free power weapon in a vet suqad. Sarge has powerfist, random trooper has a powerfist. They charge a Carnifex. Now the Nid player has to decide, hmmmm, 7 powerfist attacks from the techmarine, or 8 from the squad. Now he can probally kill the techmarine, or he can probally kill off one of the powerfist guys, so he kills the techmarine. Now you have already shot his plasma pistol and caused a wound. You now have 8 powerfist attacks hitting on 4s wounding on 3s. so 4 hit, 3 wound. Plus the plasma pistol from the techmarine, equals 1 dead carnifex for 1 techmarine. I'd take that. Or, just a techmarine with 4 combat servitors in the same situation. They take down big things very well. Tanks, Dreads, MCs, what ever. And if the carnifex attacks the squad, thats probally 15 powerfist attacks comming at it!

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
That does work, but in practice they aren't quite that good, they work better around a shooty base than assaultin 'fex's with powerfists.

The only thing they have over a standard marine (stats wise) is their 2 wounds, while this means they are good in CC, a 100 plus point model like that just can't be thrown into fights like that.

I swear by techmarines and think they are great, but only as a slightly better sergeant for counter attacking.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Re: Techmarines

H0urg1ass said:
Eh, Kate's right, they suck.

I tried them for a couple of games and then I happily went right back to my Chaplain. It's too bad too, they are great models and I spent a lot of time painting a couple of them, but I won't use them.

They look pretty in my display case tho!
It really is too bad. Although some respondents apparently do try to use a Techmarine in their army list, most do not. It is a shame, though, to have to keep these great models, with such well-developed character sitting in the display case, while all the standard marines march off to battle. That is why I would really like to go back to old-school rules (with slight modification), in which the Techmarine is just a cheap upgrade choice for a regular marine (+5 points for a Signum and access to the armoury, or something similar). This would give the player options, allowing you to load him up, as he is now, or stay cheap and limited if that is your preference.

Regards,

Valerian

·
Registered
655 Posts
If you simply wished to use him that way, one option would be to buy a Company Champion and use the Techmarine model. If you were to modify the servo-harness to look a bit more like a combat shield than a servo-harness, this could work. Not quite the same, but it's close.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sadly, yes, Techmarines seem to be the unsung heros of the Imperium. Everybody loves them, but nobody seems to understands them, so they sit in the back of the army box collecting dust... Why? I don't seem to understand the stigma that so many players put on such a versitile unit.

I'm currently building a home-made chapter using the Scions of Mars trait...YES, I actually have a Techmarine as my HQ choice. For the cost of one space marine, I can give him an extra wound, and with a servo-harness, Iron Halo, Terminator Honors, and Bolt Pistol he compares to a Terminator Chaplain's stats for about the same cost.

He already gets 1 addtional powerfist attack atop his regular attacks, signum to re-roll missed to hit rolls, and an auspex so he doesnt get suprised by infiltrators; a good deal for the points. The servo-harness not only upgrades him to 2 additional powerfist attacks, but also arificer armor, and adds a Twin-linked Plasma Pistol, Flamer, and the ability to re-roll the repair ability, all for the cost of 2 marines, when normally just the artificer armor would cost nearly that much. He's practically getting all of that wargear for free.

The techmarine is an excellent addition to a shooty army. The servo-harness allows two weapons to be fired, either one personal and one harness mounted or both harness mounted. He can share his signum re-roll with anyone he's attached to, including Devistator Squads, which makes that unit more effective. They'll all also get a free shot at Deep-Sriking Infiltrators because of his auspex. Your tanks and units will more than likely be static, so it would be easy to plant him next to either or both for easy stat boosting/repair.

The techmarine is a close combat beast when you really get down to it. He has a base attack of 2, modified by Terminator Honors to 3, replacing his bolter with bolt pistol so he has two one-handed weapons brings him up to 4, raised further to 5 if he's charging; upto 5 power weapon attacks at Initiative order. This is pretty standard for a HQ, right?. But remember, his servo-arm gives him an additional powerfist attack ontop of his regular attacks, raising the number of attacks to 6, and if you give him the servo-harness you can pump it up to a whopping 7. 6 guarentteed, 7 possible attacks, 4-5 power weapons and 2 powerfists. No other Space Marine HQ can do that!

He is the only unit in the game that can repair vehicles. That in and of itself can be VERY useful. You can't stop your opponents from drop-podding his multi-melta suicide squad behind your lines to attack your precious armor, but you can repair the mistake. An Immobilized Land Raider is pretty useless in battle and doesn't count as a scoring unit. Frustrated that your Predator Annilihator's TLLC got popped first round? Fix it. The Techmarine is stealing back points that your opponent took away from you. Repairing doesn't even take away his ability to move, shoot, and assault.

It is true that he doesn't have the improved WS or BS that the other HQ's do, but I think that he makes up for quality with quantity. Yes, he can't repair destroyed vehicles, but what unit can?

I've personally had him follow my Dreadnaught around the board, fixing him several times and keeping the nasty meltas away from him. I've also had a mind to try that Land Raider idea that Triumph of Man was taking about; if the LRC takes a penetrating hit, its going to need fixin and my Techmarine will already be in B2B contact with it after having been forced outside. Pure genius.

In no way am I saying that he's supirior to other HQ's, he just fullfulls a different job, just like the other HQ's fullfill thier jobs. He can be tricky to use, but devistating if used properly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts