Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a thread a couple of months ago (Old thread about this but don't really feel that the answer was proved.

The question:
Does a unit of gating terminators count as "teleporting" for the purposes of using a teleport homer? (I know the instinctive answer is no, I need a answer using the rules)

Quoting time:
Gate of Infinity (P57 C:SM)-"The Librarian, and any unit he is with, are removed from the tabletop and immediately placed back together anywhere within 24" using the deep strike rules."

Terminator Armour (P102 C:SM, 5th paragraph)- "Any model wearing Terminator armour can be teleported onto the battlefield. They may always start the game in reserve and arrive using the deep strike rules, even if it is not part of the mission being played."

Teleport Homer (P101 C:SM)- "If Terminators wish to teleport onto the battlefield via deep strike and choose to do so within 6" of a model carrying the homer, then they won't scatter."

Then we have the most badly written rule in the whole codex- "Note that the teleport homer only works for units that are teleporting, no for units entering pay using jump packs, drop pods or other means of transport."

My Problem
The homer only works for units that are teleporting, and gives examples of deep strike that isn't teleporting (jump packs, drop pods). However, "teleporting" isn't a rule, it's a fluff description. So the only definition of the word we can use is from a dictionary, not a rulebook. (google's definition "Transport or be transported across space and distance instantly."). Our only rulebook definition of teleporting is that only terminators can do it ("if Terminators wish to teleport"), and that "jump packs, drop pods or other means of transports (what other means???)" are not teleporting.

To me, there is nothing in the codex stopping gate of infinity counting as a teleport move, and therefore, as long as the unit gating are terminators, the homer can and does prevent scatter.

Thoughts? (sorry about the essay)

p.s. I've checked the FAQ, nothing as usual.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I am definitely inclined to agree with you. That's what we've got for RAW, until they FAQ it.

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
Your own quotes say the homer does not work. GoI merely specifies the deep strike rules, whether they are in terminator armour or not does not matter - they are not teleporting onto the battlefield, they are merely placed in accordance to the deep strike rules.

Both the quoted text regarding terminator armour and teleport homers reference teleporting - and thanks to your quotes we know not all deep striking is teleporting - thus GoI would not benefit from the teleport homer as it is a form of deep strike that isn't teleportation.

Otherwise you could make the claim that as long as the unit as a single terminator model is in the unit (say, the librarian himself) then the whole unit can use teleport homers because they are A) in terminator armour and B ) deep striking.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
So when a unit is on the table, and deepstrikes elsewhere... Are you saying that it doesn't leave and re-enter? That we don't pick it up in order to put it back down?

GW does not use defined terms like Removed from Table, Removed from Play, etc. In fact, they tend not to use strictly defined game terms at all. Let's start a campaign to get them to tighten up. (Behaving as though tightened rules are less fun should not be acceptable for a game company. We wouldn't have to argue rules if they told us the right way to play to begin with.)

Anyway, where is the rules basis for treating a DS differently because the unit was already on the table?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both the quoted text regarding terminator armour and teleport homers reference teleporting - and thanks to your quotes we know not all deep striking is teleporting - thus GoI would not benefit from the teleport homer as it is a form of deep strike that isn't teleportation.
True, but it doesn't say teleporting from reserves; ""Any model wearing Terminator armour can be teleported onto the battlefield." under the Terminator Armour section. The problem with this is GoI could, from their wording, be defined as teleporting onto the battlefield via deep strike (you deep-strike back on after removing the models from the board).

"They may always start the game in reserve and arrive using the deep strike rules," is a new sentence and therefore a completely different rule to the fact they can be teleported onto the battlefield,

If it said, "Any model wearing Terminator armour can be teleported onto the battlefield. To do this they may always start the game in reserve and arrive using the deep strike rules," it would be fine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
HTML:
Does a unit of gating terminators count as "teleporting" for the purposes of using a teleport homer?
Simple answer, No. Now I need to caveat my answer in that I do not have access to a SM codex so am basing it purely on the statements given in your post and reviewing the Reserve section of the rulebook.

You are correct in stating that "teleporting" is a fluff term. But it is a fluff term for a unit coming onto the board from reserves "via Deep Strike". The only place that teleport is referenced in the rulebook is in the Deepstrike portion of the Reserve section when discussing how a unit may enter play. The Librarian needs to already be in play to use the Gate of Infinity. The GoI only uses the Deepstrike rule to determine how the Librarian is moved on the board, it is not a means to come in from Reserves.

Another point to consider is the statement "Note that the teleport homer only works for units that are teleporting, not for units entering play using jump packs, drop pods or other means of transport." Since GoI does not use the term teleport in its description, it must be qualified as an "other means of transport" which disqualifies it from being used in conjunction with a teleport homer.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Except at that point, it is you the player who is determining what "type" of Deepstrike is being performed. There is no rule in the book which defines a difference between deepstriking units from Reserve or those already in play.

This was something that, one would think, is the job of the rules author(s) to explain to the player.

·
Poet of the Deed
4,004 Posts
Although I appreciate that its been a fair while since the last post here, I thought it worth pointing out that under the definition Sancraer provided from Google "to transport or be transported instantaneously through time and space" GoO is technically teleporting. A slender thread, I know, but true.

-Corrigan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts