Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im new to the forums here, and i see that most lists reapers have the tempest launcher, instead of a EML. I just curious of why you think its a better choice for the cost.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hi

The tempest launcher is better 'cuase reapers are genrally used against infantry and an EML is used as AT (anti tank) which doesn't complement the reapers at all. A tempest launcher on the other hand is AI (anti infantry) which complements the reapers abilities perfectly. Its genraly a bad idea to mix the capabilities of units. In other words its better to specilise. So thats why I think the tempest launcher is better then the EML, hope this explains

Gilli

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
as above, additionally although the tempest hits 50% of the time as opposed to the EML, it is subject to barrage, that means:

1. if it misses it scatters, it doesnt necessarily miss entirely, and the second and third shots also are subject to barrage which you can walk back on target
2. Because it is is barrage, you can fire it indirectly, that means that all that trouble your opponent went to ensuring your reapers had no LOS goes to waste because you drop 3 templates on him :)

(I say because fast shot is a pretty obvious choice)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Tempest is king, Eldar are all about excelling in a role and mixing some AT firepower in what is a purely power armour cracking squad is a waste.

As a follow on for what Cheredanine said take fast and crack shots, the extra template is best usually but sometimes its worth the look on your opponents face when your Exarch wipes out half the enemy squad despite the fact they thought they were safe holed up in solid cover ;Y

Yes Devestators, I'm looking at you...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the response, when i was looking at the weapon i was looking at range compared to the EML, but you guys are right about the mixing in AT.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Its the LoS

Obviously you try to set your guys up with a good view of the table, but the ability to target whatever is what seals it for me.

In CoD or cover-heavy places I will take crack shot and I sometimes skip the upgrade if the points aren't there, but tempest is nice and can be the back-breaker when some SM get too close.

·
LO Zealot
1,331 Posts
The Tempest Launcher is good because of the blasts, low ap and combination with Exarch powers. However, consider this. Dark Reapers arn't exactly the cheapest units around and if you're buying just for an Exarch to use a Tempest Launcher you're investing in an incredible amount of points just for that single ability. Yeh I'm more cynical about it but I thought I'd bring this up since no one else has yet :p

I would use the Tempest as a protective weapon for the squad itself. When possible, giving the squad decent sites on the field (I wouldn't range duel a Devastator squad) and use the weapon to cover against fast moving squads that think they can get to my reapers by terrain hopping. Of course use the weapon offensively too but I would consider the tempest primarily for this purpose. The other perks have already been mentioned :p

If you're lacking anti-tank potential though the missile launcher if what I would advise, you may end up wasting a whole squads worth of firepower but it does give added protection against armour if you're lacking. You can force transports and other vehicles away from areas you don't want them to be in with the weapon, so it's not a huge waste even if it's not used in the end....but fast shot still enables the exarch to kill as fast as the regular reapers. Don't forget, though not as powerful as the tempest launcher the missile launcher can still create blasts, whats more it pins often more fatal than actual kills when it happens.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In general I find that the tempest launcher simply isn't as good because it scatters. You're wasting your BS 5 because even if the blast hits, it has a 2/3 chance to scatter somewhere else, either resulting in all partials or possibly missing completely. Even on a hit, the blast still only hits 2-3 models on average, which is laughable considering that the gun is s4 and therefore wounds on a 4+ vs marines, without factoring in cover save. You're looking at possibly 1-3 marines a turn on average even with 2 blast shots, possibly 2-4 on average with fast shot. And even if you use crack shot and guide, you might still do badly anyway, as you are relying heavily on not scattering and good rerolls, which amounts to maybe 3-5 marines on average.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.