Librarium Online Forums banner

Which list is best for an all terminator army?

• Dark Angel's Deathwing

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Space Wolves' Loganwing

Votes: 15 53.6%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My current armies are Orks and Guard so I’m now looking to make an all terminator army that can be stored in 1 or two sandwich boxes instead of 2 GW carry cases.

But what is the difference between Loganwing or Deathwing, how do each of them play and which was is more effective?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Logan- Current SM gear, minimum squad sizes of 3, loads more options (especially CC). Need Drop Pods to DS.

Deathwing- old SM gear, minimum squad size of 5, Deathwing Assault, and they might be able to take two special ranged weapons without ten models (not sure, no book).

Much variance in the points, as some WG loadouts might be cheaper, while some are more expensive than their DA cousins. And while Logan may be more than twice the points of Belial, I'd daresay that he's far more effective individually, and he provides a few support style effects as well.

·
King of the Burning Sands
1,258 Posts
Logan wing is better, especially if you want to do a termie army. Better load outs, and Logan can roll up with in a LR with company and another LR with more termies, hop out, charge giving everyone an attack bonus and then preferred enemy for his squad (among other abilities) or you can walk him up with a group with Whirl launchers and tank hunters (i think), doubling as anti tank. You can drop Arjak in a squad that drop pods and throw his hammer at 10 str ap 1, again, doubling as anti tank, accompanied by guys with combi weapons and wolf claws. The rest of the drop pods termies can drop down and unload with assault cannons. the army is very versatile. much more so than deathwing now.

DON'T forget, they ALL have Counter Charge. That alone makes them better since you can just manuver yourself around, shotting, and if you happen to get charged and you didn't want to, you got counter charge.

·
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might as well mention that I plan to use this list for a chaos terminator army and have decided to go with Wolfwing over Deathwing.

So I'm looking for an effective all 1500pt wolfwing army that is built for close quarters and if possible without drop pods?

Any chance of some lists, since this is my first elite army?

·
357 Posts
Can't be with out drop pods with wolves. They are born with a natural distrust of magic and wizardry so they don't trust teleportation machines. aka terminator armor can't deep strike like everyone else's. So either lots of land raiders or slogging about if you don't want drop pods.

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
Foot Wolfwing is the best way to run them I find; Drop Pods are too easy to counter and Land Raiders are too expensive.

The key is dakka backed with strong assault elements in every unit, making each unit capable against all kinds of units so you don't rely on one or two crucial units. Termies have this in spades, relatively cheap and versatile firing platforms with solid combat ability (all the better with counter attack)

1500 could get you:
Logan
Rune Priest w/ Chooser, Living Lightning, Tempest Fury, Terminator Armor, Saga of the Beast Slayer
Lone Wolf w/ terminator armor, chainfists, storm shields
10 WGT, 2 cyclones, 2 wolf claws
3x 5 WGT, cyclone, chainfist

Everything is shooty, independent, and solid against a wide variety of enemies. You take 10 together to benefit from Logan's ability to give them tank hunters early on, putting out 4 S9 shots on the move (plus D6 S8 shots from the Rune Priest). You can drop and swap gear as necessary (I like single wolf claws, 5 points for a big boost in effectiveness). You've got to keep them cheap, you only have 29 models. Lone Wolves are cheap, disposable bricks you throw at people. They can take on anything that gives your Termies pause (Dreads, big MCs, and so on) with relative ease.

I find Loganwing armies work best if you dilute the Termie aspect a bit. 5 WGTs are all well and good, but the real action is from the cyclone and having them scoring. Lone Wolves and TWC can handle assaults on their own, so why waste points giving out power weapons you'll likely never need to use. 5 WGT with a cyclone is 195, 4 PAWG and 1 WGT with a cyclone is only 135. That's 60 points! It adds up real quick when you're taking so many units (the first list saves us 300 points!). What little loss in survivability can be mitigated by use of cover, and fitting in more units thanks to your surplus of points.

Instead, at 1500 you could have.
Logan
Rune Priest w/ Living Lightning, Tempest Fury, Chooser of the Slain
10 WG, 2 WGT w/ cyclones
3x 5 WG, 1 WGT w/ cyclone, chainfist
2x Lone Wolves w/ terminator armor, chainfist, storm shield
3x Thunderwolf w/ powerfist

That certainly looks better, yes? Same amount of firepower at range, but now you've got a lot more bite and mobility. The Lone Wolves do their thing, running protection and punching out well above their weight class. Now you add in the Thunderwolves, cheap fighty units that can drag down any vehicle, murder infantry units (like the ones who have just lost their transport) and draw attention away from your shooty core. It's still an elite army, but there's a lot more going on here.

·
Registered
97 Posts
FYI its Wolfwing. and Wolf wing has ALOT more options as each wolf gaurd can have his own individualised wargear

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
Yes, Loganwing has a lot more options to work with than Deathwing. That makes Loganwing armies a lot more fun to use and more capable against a wider variety of armies. The extra buffs like improved Storm Shields and Cyclones are icing on the cake for Loganwing armies.

Loganwing, Loganwing, Loganwing

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
I like 'em both, but pure Wolf/Logan/Fuzz wing is better thanks to the lower base cost of WGT, more options, better psykers, and better Logan.

With the rest of the DA book, DW can make a solid mixed mech or foot army, while Yiffwing can do a solid foot force or mixed mech dealy. Generally, if you like AV14 in a mech army or scouting melta bikes, DA work best, but if you want nasty assaulty cav or lots of missiles, Pupwing does it best.

·
Registered
79 Posts
to be honest deathwing is just as good, it may be me thou but is everyone forgetting the deathwing assault.

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
Deathwing Assault isn't very good, mostly for the same reasons Drop Pod assault isn't. Coming in on turn 1 guaranteed is predictable, all your opponent has to do is bring bubblewrap or go into reserves and then you're at their mercy. Alpha striking the would-be alpha strike, as it were.

It's a fun gimmick, but not the real strength of the DW (scoring Termies, Apothecary).

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Loganwing can indeed be very potent. If you go that route, my experience would dictate that quantity over quality, with a few pearls for upgrades, is the key. Often times the super-load-out units are simply overkill. 350 points in 5 WGT can make some uberkilly madness, but they still dies just as easily as 165 points of 5 WGT, and you usually don't need uberkilly madness to win games.

But ultimately, I voted for Deathwing. They're in for a new codex eventually.. and they're the original -wing. I can only imagine that every iteration of DA to come will have a potent Deathwing army, while future iterations of the SW codex may not. DA, imo, are a safe bet.

But then again, you're using CSM with "count as" SM rules.. so really it's a moot point. Although, CSM Termies come stock with power weapons, so for now SW are your easiest translation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.