Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Don'tbotherwing

Votes: 6 26.1%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I'm currently assembling and painting a lot of terminators, around 30 at present, but I'm unsure as to how to play them. The chapter is of my own design so I'm not tied down to any particular codex as such, so I've got a decision to make!

I modelled most of them with a loganwing force in mind, however they'd easily transfer to deathwing rules. Which would people advise I use? Or is there something else entirely I'm missing out on? I'm aware that SW termies are expensive, but deathwing have the rubbish storm shields and cyclones. Would I be better off using codex marines and filling out some troops with tacticals, or even black templars (being aware that they still get 2 HW per squad)?

Help!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Honestly? It's as much a matter of preference as anything else. Since your using a home brew chapter, you best bet is actually to try them all out in a few friendly games before committing to one.

That said, I'm personally partial to BT termies, since they're one of the only armies that can get 2 heavy weapons in a 5 man squad.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hobby-wise ,The lesson i've learn through out the years: Magnetize everything!

Every other codex gets better and better Terminators , with different option and tactical advantages. Right now I'd go vanilla , Storm shields + Librarian / Shrike (OR with a Chaplain) A few scout troops and a 3 man squad scout bikers for the Locator beacon. Alternatively I'd go Kahn + Landraider (Of your choice) + 3 Terminators with lightning claws and 2 storm shields. Scouts or tacticals for scoring purposes.

·
877 Posts
I would say logan wing works best for now for the following reason.

- Basic terminator is only 33 points
- Can have the most scoring terminators of any list.
- Most options.
- New rules for drop pods, storm shields and cyclones.

The one downside to them is some of the load outs are very expensive however this cost can almost always be ignored as the expensive load outs are not ones you need a lot of if any in a unit.

If you want to see a Logan-wing list I just tried out in a game and did very well with it is posted in the list forum at 2500 points.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
I would do Deathwing. Their only 'fault' is not having the overabused, new-rule storm shields; I suspect you'll run out of willing opponents if you field 30 SS termies. It's a sensible choice in the long term as well, since Dark Angel fluff is primarily Terminator-oriented and can be relied on to have good/excellent Termie formations in future revisions.

There's more to this hobby than statistical supremacy. Unless your local store is a shark tank, there's no need to push the envelope of Codex Creep with Loganwing (or a potential Sangwing, with Blood Angels out in a month).

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
So far as playability is concerned, I have to say hands down Loganwing takes first place at the moment. But they have to be designed upon a few principals, and have to be done so with responsibility. But when they are played properly, they bring a level of both versatility and specialization otherwise unseen amongst other -wings.

1) Stock WGT are amazing. 2+/5++ Save with a base of 2x S4/I4 power weapon attacks is nothing to sneer at. And should not be overlooked, despite other Codices setting the precedence for SB/PF, Dual LC, TH/SS. Throw Counter-Attack on top of that, and you've got at the very least, cheaper and bettwe CSM with way more options.
2) For every 5 WGT models purchased, you have 35 spare points to spend to put the unit on par with the cost of 5x Vanilla Termies. If you budget your list properly, you can feasibly spend more per unit than other -wing lists would, but gain more advantages out of doing so than are proportional to the cost. (See my 'standard' WGT unit below)
3) The entire unit does not have to consist of WGT. You could field any combination of WGT and PAWG in the same unit. Something other Codices cannot do!
3.a) Because of this, you can add cheap, ablative wounds to your more expensive WGT units.
3.b) Also because of this, you could feasibly field (for example) 2x CML for 270 points, a whole 190 points cheaper than Vanilla. (8x PAWG, 2x WGT w/ CML)
4) You don't even need to field models in Terminator armour to play Loganwing, you have the option to field whole units of PAWG. Comparatively, they lack the dakka-versatility of GH, but they're relatively cheap, and bring a stock 3 attacks per model.
5) The options for customization allow for some very unique circumstances, which other Codices cannot accomplish. Such as, LC/SS (or my favorite, Frost Weapon / SS) or replacing the standard Storm Bolters with Combi-weapons (Which you can do to the whole unit and still be 2 points cheaper). Or, something simple as adding a heavy flamer to a WGT "assault" squad, which Vanilla cannot accomplish either.
6) Similar to 5, but a little different.. due to their cusomization options, you can equip WGT to be more of an "all-comer's" unit, like Tactical Marines would do, which again, other Codices must field specialized Termie units.

You don't want to go overboard, as I know it's very easy to become overwhelmed by all of the options.. and be aware of 'overkill', which most often translates to 'waste of points'. Here's an example unit that I often play, built upon these principles..

Wolf Guard Pack [ 250 ]
+5x Wolf Guard Terminators
...+1x Power Weapon, Storm Shield
...+1x Chainfist, Combi-flamer
...+1x Power Weapon, Combi-plasma
...+1x Power Weapon, Combi-melta
...+1x Power Weapon, Storm Bolter, Meltabombs
+Drop Pod

The unit is 25% more expensive than Vanilla Termies, true, but it has been insanely effective every time I've played it.. becoming the "Tactical Squad" amongst Terminators. It's versatile, and can handle any threat presented. Comparatively, this unit combines the strengths of Shooty and Assault Terminators, and adds even more.

I would do Deathwing. Their only 'fault' is not having the overabused, new-rule storm shields; I suspect you'll run out of willing opponents if you field 30 SS termies. It's a sensible choice in the long term as well, since Dark Angel fluff is primarily Terminator-oriented and can be relied on to have good/excellent Termie formations in future revisions.

There's more to this hobby than statistical supremacy. Unless your local store is a shark tank, there's no need to push the envelope of Codex Creep with Loganwing (or a potential Sangwing, with Blood Angels out in a month).
But alas, I also agree 100% with Intrepid. Any -wing list can be effective, and you should play according to what suits you, not what is currently the most powerful option. I'd argue that Dark Angels would be the best -wing list to start up, as fluff wise they're THE -wing army.. and I suspect that come time for revision they'll be buffed up to reclaim that position. But as the OP stated, you don't have to be tied down to a single codex either (though some might consider that a bit cheeky). If that's the approach you want to take, though, I'd suggest purchasing a few Wolf Pack / Wolf Guard Terminator boxes to finish off your collection, shave off the SW regalia, and pin/magnetize the arms to the models. Then, you'll be prepared to change with the times, as will inevitably be required at one point or another.

·
Registered
39 Posts
also if you want to have a bit of fun, you could try adding some grey knight termies in there somewhere, they may be expensive, but when used correctly they tear through just about anything, and they're much better looking too ;)

·
Registered
350 Posts
Terminators are an interesting beast right now. Sure, with the Deathwing and Loganwing you can certainly run Terminators as troops. That being said, they aren't really perfect YET.

An ideal terminator force would be Deathwing with 5th ed weapon rules. Unfortunately we'll have to wait for that. Currently with Terminators as troops you can either run a Loganwing with a lot of powerweapons in order to keep costs from getting out of hand (vs powerfists, and TH/SS are so expensive it's silly), or run deathwing with old rules. Loganwing is probably best comparatively, considering all the new rules from the SW codex. If you want to run an all terminator force between now and the new DA codex, run Loganwing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts