Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Father of the Failed
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick shout out to all those who live in the EU. Apparently Testors Dullcote is now banned for sale here as it contains Toluene, which is newly banned in the EU. As such getting your hands on any will become most difficult very soon. I'd grab some if you can ASAP before it disappears from the shelves entirely.

The is some light however. Apparently Testors are working on a variety that contains no Toluene, though this will be a while in the making and it may affect the excellent matt effect of Dullcote.

I though you should all know about this.

Hope it helps in some way,

Rich.

Reactions: Phoenix Lazarus

·
Father of the Failed
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only place I can find it anymore is ebay. Just got myself a few :)

Rich.

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
They're taking my toluene away? I love toluene based putty. It's only dangerous if you're doing somthing you shouldn't with it.

·
335 Posts
Why was this Toluene stuff banned? Is it more toxic then most of the other stuff we inhale while working on our models?

·
Registered
576 Posts
what is toluene? Green stuff?

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
I could never get dullcote in New Zealand.
I have- a paint on version and a spray can. I found it at a local model shop but haven't been able to source it for my own indie trader.

Where in NZ are you?

If the EU banned it I wouldn't be surprised if we followed. :|

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
It is poison but only when injested, there are more dangerous things out there.

·
Drills baby.
6,481 Posts
It is poison but only when injested, there are more dangerous things out there.
Indeed, but I think that the availability of the product contributed to its ban.

And if it cannot leave the body naturally, what happens when it gets out in nature? I bet that ain't good (most chemicals ain't good for nature! :)). I trust EUs descision on this since they most likely have a better understanding on the chemical and the threats that it comes with.

·
Monkey of Mystery
2,789 Posts
Indeed, but I think that the availability of the product contributed to its ban.

And if it cannot leave the body naturally, what happens when it gets out in nature? I bet that ain't good (most chemicals ain't good for nature! :)). I trust EUs descision on this since they most likely have a better understanding on the chemical and the threats that it comes with.
Nature is most chemicals.

Having read that article (and adding a hint of medical understanding) it looks like the side products of the body breaking down toluene are carcinogenic and will most likely be generated in the liver. Liver cancer is notoriously unpleasant and I already give mine a hard time by feeding it with copious beer. I think I'll be paying more attention to that 'well ventilated area' advisory on spray-cans now. Inhalation of fumes is the same as 'ingestion' don't think you're safe just because you're not eating it.

The EU might be a little trigger-happy when it comes to health and safety but this seems reasonable- who else is going to bother to look into the effects of everyday products? Did anyone else know this stuff was so hostile before reading about it here?

There'll be other options- has anyone tried using GWs Matt Varnish as an alternative?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts