Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
King of the Burning Sands
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fought my buddies dwarfs and I thought I was going to do okay, as I had minimal losses when I rammed his lines. BUT NOOOO I could tie up his ranks to flank him. I am obvious doing something wrong and I've not see any other player. This really blows. I don't expect to win ALL the time (keep away trolls) but I don't expect such a messed up differences in power. I've decide to just paint and sell my army. Unless someone has really good advice, I'm done. If people get really interested I'll drop the lists later on. Right now I need to cool.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well army lists and what you attacked with what and when would be helpful. You might be playing the wrong tactic, the wrong army or have wronged that dice gods in some manner -

·
Registered
121 Posts
Let me start off by saying that Dwarves are one of the HARDEST armies to oppose when playing WElves. I have yet to beat my friend or brother who both play dwarves. I come close, but some rolls just kick you in the rear and screw everything up for you.

And it might not be your tactics that are bad either.

Like the former poster, it helps to know what kind of list he and you were using.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
I'm very picky when I play against Dwarfs. I'll often bait but never engage the really meaty units like Ironbreakers and Hammerers.

Instead, I'll pick off all the small units I can, thunderers, quarrelers, war machines, and then try and gang up one on unit of infantry like Warriors or even Longbeards, preferably without a character around. If I keep my losses minimal and don't get into losing battles with units that are really tough, I can usually pull out a win with table quarters, kills, and maybe a captured banner.

What list are you using?

·
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here it is guys:

My army: 2k
Highborn Alter with greatweapon and AoN
Noble Alter with HoDA Enchanted Shield
Noble WildRider on stand and Oak Armor
8xDryads
8xDryads
8xDryads
8xDryads
10x GG
10x GG
10x GG
x5WildRiders w/ Hunter w/Banner Musician
x5WildRiders w/ Hunter w/Banner Musician
8x WarDancer w/Musician

His army: 2k
Lord Master rune of Grim, Rune of Stone, Rune of Spite, Gromril Armor
Runesmith Rune of Stone, Gromril Armor
Thane Rune of Swiftness, Rune of Stone, Gromril Armor
x10Quarellers
x10Quarellers
Cannon
Organ Gun
x15 Longbeards w/Banner Musician
x15 Iron Breaker w/Banner Musician
x15 Hammers w/Banner Musician
x10 Warrior w/Banner Musician

·
Registered
105 Posts
My buddy i play agianst the most with my welfs plays dwarfs too. And I cant count the number of games that have ended with one of us only haveing 1 or 2 scoreing units, it is always brutal. You just have to practice and try till you find something that works. In my list i usually play a wardancer noble with the terror causeing spite in my dancers, that usually does really well.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
Both alters need great weapons. Give the highborn the Amber Pendant so that when you're in a second round of combat against Dwarfs, you'll go first. The AoN is okay, but it means you have to hit the front of a unit more often than not in order to take advantage of it. Look for flanks and rears with this guy.

Give the alter noble the helm of the hunt, lt armor, and shield.

Use the two alters in concert to attack flanks and gunlines, staying out of LoS for crossbows and handguns as much as possible. With the helm on the noble, you'll pump out 10 str 6 attacks at WS 7. Even Dwarfs with 3+ saves (probably 4+ to the side) are going to die to that.

If the guy has made the mistake of lining up his shooters, you can domino down the line and cause real havoc.

Run both of them along the flanks and stay out of LoS for crossbows and handguns.

Hit an enemy unit with wardancers on the front/side and alters/dryads on another side, and you're going to pile up a lot of combat res. But again, pick your units. Don't go for ironbreakers with 2+ armor saves or stubborn hammerers. Let Wild Riders get in the mix for busting ranks, and you should win.

30 GG is great. Get in short range to take advantage of str 4 and pile it all on one unit. In the opening rounds, I usually soften up the infantry I want to tackle while my skirmishers and fast cav eliminate shooting units. Once those are out of the way, pounce on the infantry you've been pumping 30 shots a round into. You are focusing your shooting on one unit as much as possible, right, and not spreading it out?

You've got a good list. I'd tweak the heroes, but you can win with that army. Make sure you're diverting his main units, even if it means letting them beat on a unit of dryads.

·
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
problem with this game was that he set up on the opposite side of the board and i didnt think to change tactics a little. he just turtled and I knew i was screw. but I will definitely keep that stuff in mind. for now im just painting, maybe ill have a change in heart when i finish them.

·
Banned
4,252 Posts
An underestimated (IMO) apparatus is the Briarsheath.Nothings more fun than watching a BT crew with a Master Engineer needing a 7+ to hit. Of course, nothings worse than watching them roll that 7...

Agreed about the Amber Pendant and GWs. They make a good Kindred great. Alters can pick of ranged units like Dryads pick off Skinks.

Watch for X-Bows. They are pure lethal and can match us at range *shock horror*.

Never engage their units one on one unless they have a unit of about 3 left.they will most likely win. Try having 2 or 3 units vs their 1 and make sure that they're weakened by archery first.

Otherwise, what can be said has been said.

-AFG

·
Firefly
4,209 Posts
Like David said, you have a solid list.

If your opponent is Turtling don't go after him.

His crossbows have the same range as our longbows but are better stregnth, start out of range and move units into range of one unit at a time. This way you can get 30 shots at one unit. Also, the Hail of Doom Arrows is perfect for culling them.

Once the Quarellers are down, just sit back and make him come to you. He has to advance to have a chance at winning.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Small question for DavidVC04: How on earth do you reach 10 str 6 attack on a noble with only Alter + Helm? plz tell my your secret, cause in my last game against chaos my Highborn "only" had 6 attack with that combo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.