Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just have a few questions then ill post more info about my army later in the thread.

Is it possible for a planet to have a liquid form of plasma on it? like running rivers?It would be just like water, except thicker, and at a boiling temperature. When heated up it would "melt" I suppose, into plasma. I know this seems far-fetched but most of the SW in my army are plasma guns and i need a creative explanation, because they coem from a not so wealthy, low populated world. Its not like Im fielding a cave-man army though.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
koth31 said:
I just have a few questions then ill post more info about my army later in the thread.

Is it possible for a planet to have a liquid form of plasma on it? like running rivers?It would be just like water, except thicker, and at a boiling temperature. When heated up it would "melt" I suppose, into plasma. I know this seems far-fetched but most of the SW in my army are plasma guns and i need a creative explanation, because they coem from a not so wealthy, low populated world. Its not like Im fielding a cave-man army though.
I would say so. It could be an industrial or forge planet completely dominated by giant factories and what not. For me personally I get the image of these factories producing plasma waste that would form "rivers" and run into a vast lakes of plasma across a continent. Imperial worlds have never been terribly worried about pollution. Especially on idustrial worlds. Heck, it would be feasible that there are ocean sized dump sites of plasma waste. These factories could be producing plasma engines or weapons, or simply "disposing" of old machinery. This is completley feasible.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, i had to make sure it made sense to people other than me. Yea thats kinda what I had in mind, except there were harvesters like oil rigs for the stuff. Around the rigs would be processors and refineries, with cities built around to house the workers/engineers. So basically the same idea.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
I think plasma is just a general term for super heated matter, a step above gasseous state (solid, liquid, gas, plasma) I can't remember what they use in 40k, maybe hydrogen? I think it's described as undergoing fusion, like a miniature sun being fired from the barrel, which would suggest hydrogen.

Hmm.. maybe the planet has huge hydrogen deposits trapped underground (seeping up through vents in the crust) which has forced the population to depend upon harvesting it and using it for technological applications. Their plasma guns don't have to be shiny and new, they could be old pieces considered too dangerous for other guardsmen, yet lovingly maintained to the point that they work just as well. A kind of jury rig salvage culture (you could give them goggles or crappy protective suits to reflect their familiarity with dangerous heat based tech.)

It'd probably be pretty dangerous though.. one guy lights up a cigar and.. boom.. there goes a continent. ;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The XXXI Regiment of Koth, The Steel Ghosts
"The skill to aim, the courage to fire."​

>>>Background
On the fringe of the Imperium man may come across many a strange world. In the Primus IV system lies such a world. The plasma wastes of Koth. A world where the ground beneath your feet is hardened ash, a world where water is replaced with an orange liquid that burns at a touch. In fact, Koth is a world so inhospitable that it's capital, Trechamov VII, is located on it's only moon. Any who choose to stay on the planet are forced to work in plasma rigs of gargantuan preportion. These rigs harvest the plasma like substance that flows throughout the planet. The rigs are located in huge cities that also house, refineries and factories that heat up the substance to unbelieveable levels, where it transforms into what the imperium knows as plasma. These cities, though large, are scarce on the planets surface.

>>>Composition
Most armies are recruited from the Trechamov VII. The entire moon is Koth's capital. Billions of people reside in the towering hives that cover the moons surface. These regiments, though numerous, are usually filled with unexperienced soldiers with minimum training. The factory worlds that litter the actual planet are much smaller. Therefor, all men that come from the factory cities are trained heavily before they go into the guard, usually by their own fathers. Due to the lack of people on the surface, most of these men are turned back and told they would be of better assistance helping out in the plasma rigs they grew up around. So Koth is forced to form it's own regiments to protect it. Most of these men are met with encouragement from the locals, and out-fitted with plasma weapons because of the abundance of resources. Also, many of these soldiers wear the advanced heat shielding suits used in their job as a make-shift carapace armor. Most of these regiments are viewed as expenable, so they are sent out on small campaigns instead of the large regiments of the moon.

>>>History
The 31st was one of these regiments. Sent out on pointless campaigns to gain new ground for the Imperium. Unlike most other regiments sent on what became known as the "Crusades of the dead", the 31st was remarkably efficient at their job. They used the knowledge of their veteran officers and superior tactics and firepower to decimate their enemy. Once upon returning from a small campaign, their fleet recieved a distress signal from Trechamov VII, it was under heavy attack by the forces of chaos. The 3 month battle of Trechamov VII ensued, where the regiment was glorified by defending the Libros De Koth and keeping the ancient records out of the hands of the chaos gods. It was because of this battle they are now known as The Steel Ghosts.

>>>Characters

Uri Markovich: Senior Officer of the 31st. "Sacrifice is suicide."

Dmitri Radin: Commissar and keeper of the faith. "If I must melt all your feet to the ground I will for we will hold this position!"

Alexi Kisarov: Vet. Officer and decorated leader of the defense of the Libros. "Have faith in the Emperor, but also faith in yourself."

Vassili Karkov: Storm Trooper Officer of Arkus Legion. "Welcome to the legion, don't worry about the armor. You'll get used to it."

·
Registered
75 Posts
great stuff man, I usually don´t like the IG but your hardboiled boys sound good. Good background story and all, kudos.

On a sidenote: Plasma is a state (like solid or liquid) not a substance. So "plasma like substance" wouldn´t make much sense since the closest thing to plasma is any type of hot gas and would thus not be able to flow like a river.

BUT what you could say (and what it sonded more like in your background) is that it is some sort of metallic-like liquid that responds really fast to heating and can be turned into plasma very easily compared to other substances. The reason for the planets scorched look is because of this liquid as it runs form the inside of the earth and is super hot because it is essentially conducting heat from the inside of the planet´s core.

Well just my 2 cents. But a great story man

·
Registered
309 Posts
Just a thought, but if this is hydrogen plasma your talking about (and I'm pretty sure it'd have to be) it only exists at some ridiculous temperature, about 7,000 degrees C or higher. So any rivers of it are going to be quite hot.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
I am the Monkey King said:
Just a thought, but if this is hydrogen plasma your talking about (and I'm pretty sure it'd have to be) it only exists at some ridiculous temperature, about 7,000 degrees C or higher. So any rivers of it are going to be quite hot.
It's too hot.. It wouldn't even flow in rivers.. Hydrogen is a gas at room temperature, and as you say, it's plasma state is ridiculously hot.

I just can't see 'rivers' existing.. In fact, I can't see plasma occuring naturally at all. I'd go with the underground hydrogen deposits idea, and just have the populace as a bunch of inventive, jury rigging tech geeks who are good at harnessing the stuff for technical purposes.

Would explain the danger too.. one of the pockets ruptures and releases into the atmosphere, and it could suffocate anyone in a wide radius. Something similar happened in South America sometime back..

·
Registered
309 Posts
It's too hot.. It wouldn't even flow in rivers..
That was what I was implying, my last post was quite rushed. Also underground deposits wouldn't work unless the planet had very high gravity, about 10G or so I'd guess (9G seems the lowest feasible gravity to maintain hydrogen in the atmosphere to me).

Also plasma does exist naturally, its what makes most of the sun I believe. Also, although hydrogen would asphyxiate people it's more likely to explode (assuming its in an oxygen atmosphere).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the compliment lightning claws, as for everyone else, i dont think my idea got across very well. What flows on the planets surface is a liquid that can be easily heated into plasma, compared to other substances. It is relatively hot though, at about 300 degrees F. I hope this clears things up. If you dont like it....you can fly to the edge of the universe and see if there is not even ONE planet like this.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
koth31 said:
Thank you for the compliment lightning claws, as for everyone else, i dont think my idea got across very well. What flows on the planets surface is a liquid that can be easily heated into plasma, compared to other substances. It is relatively hot though, at about 300 degrees F. I hope this clears things up. If you dont like it....you can fly to the edge of the universe and see if there is not even ONE planet like this.
Okay, that's cool.. but there are a couple of problems with that hypothesis too.

If it's easy to heat to plasma, surely that means the plasma temperature is lower, and therefore, that it's less effective as a weapon.

So it's liquid at 300 degrees F, yet has a very low temperature for breaking down into plasma. Not impossible, I guess, but downright wierd.

It's not a bad idea, but I think it should be gas rather than liquid. I still like the idea of jury rigged plasma weapons. Remember a plasma weapon is more than just the ammunition, the cooling fins and construction are where most of the expense and technical skill comes in.. if those go wrong, the weapon will explode no matter how good the 'fuel' is.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
how many years of science have you had? Cuz to me it looks like your pullin all the stops on this. Im goin with my story on 1 semester of beggining science, so back off this. But yes, i do apreciate your comments and "constructive" criticism.

Anyway, im gonna try to post short stories about each/some of teh characters in my army.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
koth31 said:
how many years of science have you had? Cuz to me it looks like your pullin all the stops on this. Im goin with my story on 1 semester of beggining science, so back off this. But yes, i do apreciate your comments and "constructive" criticism.
I'm not pulling out all the stops, most of the stuff I got from taking a few minutes to check up on 'plasmas' on the web, and from the very brief descriptions GW have given us on how plasma weapons in 40k work.. I told you I liked your idea, but I think some things don't make sense. I'll stick to that.. Doesn't mean you have to listen to me, but if you didn't want me to say what I think, why post?

Nothing wrong with your idea.. I like it, overall.. I like the idea of a bunch of guys from a harsh planet making plasma tech out of bits lying around. Damn cool idea.. I'm not trying to rubbish it, I've just done a few minutes of research and from that I've come up with some alternate ideas. If you don't want to accept them, just don't, you don't have to ask me how many years of school science I've done.. School science never taught me anything about plasmas anyway.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Oh ok, at first glance it seemed like you guys were trying to bash my idea. So...how could i change it to make it more plausable, cuz the whole idea why they're on Koth is to get those resources. How bout this....

The material can break down into plasma at a faster rate, so yes, it wouldnt be as powerful, but you would be storing something that is considerably cooler. Therefor their guns do not need the high tech storage containers/devices like the normal weapons. They use a different style that heats up the substance to normal plasma temp. when its user knows he will have to fire it. kinda like a switch he turns on to charge it. Making it much easier to store and transport.

eh?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts