Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Art Culinaire
2,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently looked at my miniatures and I've figured I could do hella better on them.

I'm currently painting IG, winter camo with alot of greys/ whites / and greens.

I was wondering on how to improve blending, I've tried like everything and I just cant
seem to push my talent, Faces are really hard and so is the IG caraprace armour.

The problem I seem to be having is clean blends,

For Example, my white caraprace armour:

I got the basic concept of using shadows ect, but what I could use is some guidance
in that department.

I use a codex grey and then I go to work blending to the white highlight areas, Its sloppy
and I'm wondering how i can improve that area.

Then Faces, omg, I've no idea what I'm doing. IG is just way different than your pure
armour of the space marine, and I'm having trouble adjusting, so feel free to induldge
in advice (Imperial guard) Playas.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I think the trick is to use colours that are not very different to start with. I have only fairly recently begun mixing paints as I go, so if you were doing a winter camo guardsman, I would start with a middle grey, adding white or bleached bone as you go. Keep the paint fairly milky, not to think, or it will become lumpy. By the time you have shaded a couple of models you can go back to the first one, mix in a bit more white, and do it again a bit narrower. I still balckline to bring out some definition, and a sharp highlight for armour edges, neatens it all up.

Hope this helps.

RoV

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
If you have some pictures of the models you are talking about that shod me great.

Any way I have seen some of your painting before. So maybe I can help you some.

As for the faces, I don’t clam that Imp a face painter expert, I have just painted a few, Still I’m quite happy with the result.

I don’t use wet blending on faces because they are so small and have a lost of details, layering is more suited here I think. I usably paint the next layer before the first is dry so the colors melt together some.

Any way I start with white base coat on the face. If you are painting whiter camo you are probable using white base coat anyway? If not then you have to paint the face white before you start.

Now the most important thing (as always) keep it thin, but I guess you know that. :) After I have the white I paint the skin color. Then I use the flesh was.

After this I paint the eye, I do it in this order so I can correct the mistakes that I probably will do when I paint the eye. Its important that you have a shade all around the eye white, or it just melt together with the skin tone. A brown wash is good I think, don’t use black then it can look like your guard man have eyeliner all around.

If you want darker skin I use more layers of flash wash. It is aloes possible to use a brown wash if you want darker shades. When I’m happy I paint on flesh color one more time. Then I ad white to the flesh for highlights.

Don’t lose the shades of the face, it is a easy thing to wrong. The details of the face is not so deep and it is a easy thing to cover it up with paint if it is to thick.

If I saw a picture I think I can help you more, good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.