Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Black Scyther is the first and only of a unique strain of Broodlords. Concoted by Norn Queens, this organism towers over the tallest Space Marines, and sports a black color, including its eyes. Its claws are of extreme hardness, approximatly 704 on The Imperium's Quality of Hard Material Chart, formerly Moh's Hardness chart. To show examples, Adamantium scores a low 170 compared to 704. The current Hardest metal in the Imperium's resources is Tuklis, which score 270. (Remember, this chart has been upgraded, with diamond scoring a measly .001 on the chart.) Imperial Engineers have sent at least 12 Deathwatch teams to kill and retrieve the Black Scyther's claws for testing, to no avail so far. The Black Scyther has been seen in the Yreth, Fracorth, and ODE (Obsure Dark Eldar) Sector, located on the Western Fringe. (i wanted to fininsh this, story will be posted later)

Stat Line:
pts: 283
WS: 8
BS: 0
S: 7
T: 6
W: 4
I: 8
A: 5
Ld: 10
Sv: 2+

Equipment: Implant Attack, The Horror, Psychic Scream, Flesh Hooks
Special Rules:

Retinue: The Black Scyther's retinue is the same as any other Broodlords, exept the cost for the each upgrade is +1 more point.

Synapse Creature: The Black Scyther, like the rest of its species, is an extremely powerful conduit of the Hive Mind. So powerful, the Black Scyther possesses two Hive Mind powers: The Horror and Psychic Scream.

Stealth Master: The Black Scyther may always Infilitrates, no matter the mission.

Unique: The Black Scyther may not be upgraded in any way.

Ultimate Leader: The Black Scyther takes up two HQ slots.

Super Fast: The Black Scyther has Fleet of Claw.

Bloodlust Charge: The Black Scyther adds +1 to its Strength and +2 to its Iniative Value when it charges. It's retinue does NOT.

Move through Cover: Like all Tyranids, the Black Scyther possesses the Move through Cover ability.

Hit and Run: The Black Scyther often weakens a unit before moving on, letting another Tyranid brood fininsh the job while he attacks other squads. He has the Hit and Run Ability.

Really, really Tough: The Black Scyther has the Feel No Pain ability.

Counter attack: THe Black Scyther has the Counter Attack Ability.

Stealthy: The Black Scyther has Stealth ability.

Inhuman Strength: The Black Scyther ignores all all armour save, just like a power weapon.

Hope you like it. Comments and critism are welcome.

·
2,076 Posts
Isn't Scyther a pokémon?

Looks pretty nasty..
At least he doesn't have an invulnerable save..

You never gave rules for his retinue, I assume it is the same as a normal brood lord?

I dunno if 220 is too low, but I haven't played with nids in a long time..

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
The Black Scyther is the first and only of a unique strain of Broodlords. Concoted by Norn Queens, this organism towers over the tallest Space Marines, and sports a black color, including its eyes. Its claws are of extreme hardness, approximatly 704 on The Imperium's Quality of Hard Material Chart, formerly Moh's Hardness chart. To show examples, Adamantium scores a low 170 compared to 704. The current Hardest metal in the Imperium's resources is Tuklis, which score 270. (Remember, this chart has been upgraded, with diamond scoring a measly .001 on the chart.) Imperial Engineers have sent at least 12 Deathwatch teams to kill and retrieve the Black Scyther's claws for testing, to no avail so far. The Black Scyther has been seen in the Yreth, Fracorth, and ODE (Obsure Dark Eldar) Sector, located on the Western Fringe. (i wanted to fininsh this, story will be posted later)

Stat Line:

Pts/model WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv

Equipment: Implant Attack, The Horror, Psychic Scream, Flesh Hooks
Special Rules:

Synapse Creature: The Black Scyther, like the rest of its species, is an extremely powerful conduit of the Hive Mind. So powerful, the Black Scyther possesses two Hive Mind powers: The Horror and Psychic Scream.

Stealth Master: The Black Scyther always Infilitrates, no matter the mission.

Ultimate Leader: The Black Scyther takes up two HQ slots.

Super Fast: The Black Scyther has Fleet of Claw.

Bloodlust Charge: The Black Scyther adds +1 to its Strength and +2 to its Iniative Value when it charges. It's retinue does NOT.

Move through Cover: Like all Tyranids, the Black Scyther possesses the Move through Cover ability.

Never Back Down: The Black Scyther is a Close Combat killing machine, it is Fearless.

Really, really Tough: The Black Scyther has the Feel No Pain ability.

Counter attack: THe Black Scyther has the Counter Attack Ability.

Stealthy: The Black Scyther has Stealth ability.

Hope you like it. Comments and critism are welcome.
For ease of reading, its generally better to post stats as:
Stat Line:

pts: 220
WS: 8
I: 8
A: 5
Sv: 2+

It also makes it so you don't have to worry about the letters/numbers shifting over.

Hmmm.... Lets base this off of a Broodlord. I don't have the book with me, but lets start with 100pts for a Broodlord's body along with the I upgrade and the WS upgrade (I think there is one..). This may be a bit much to start with, but custom characters should cost a bit more anyways. For the strength, lets say 25 pts. Additional toughness, 15 points. Additional wound, 15 points. Additional attack, 15 points. Save, 20 points. So for the body: 100+25+15+15+15+20=190 points. Now for abilities: IA, The Horror, PS, and Flesh hooks: I would say that would be 10, 10, 20, 3 for 43 pts. Synapse is already included, as is infiltrate. Fleet I would put at another 15 pts, for the super furious charge (you should have just used the normal one) I would say 20 points (10 for the normal), Never Back Down is useless due to synapse, Counter-Attack for maybe 5 points, and Stealth for 10 points. Note: I am assuming that in addition to what is written there, he also has RC, ST, power weapons, and is forced to take a unit of stealers with him.

Total points: 190+43+15+20+5+10=283

So I would say he's pretty undercosted as he is now. He may not have an inv save, but considering he can charge into cover and attack simultaneously (even without flesh hooks) with attacks that can instant kill a space marine, plus he's not an MC so he can hide in a unit... He's really powerful. Note: if I did end up overcosting the body, then make some of the other abilities cost more points in my summary. I really don't think he should cost any less points.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok i will change the cost. How much do you add for Hit and Run? Ill say 8 points.

·
I hate Ultramarines
1,297 Posts
I think he is generally over powered and undercosted. He has a WS higher than most, a strength on the charge that is instant death to most IC's, and an initiative almost guarenteeing always striking first. Also, add in stealth and feel no pain, plus your super furious charge. I think 260 is the bare minimum cost.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Ok, I am going to do what I often do in these cases and write the stats as I feel would be fair and fun, the most important things in this game. Feel free to let me know what you think, or rip me a new one, lol.

pts: 285
WS: 6
I: 5
A: 4
Sv: 3+

Equipment: Implant Attack, The Horror, Flesh Hooks
Special Rules:

Synapse Creature: The Black Scyther, like the rest of its species, is an extremely powerful conduit of the Hive Mind. So powerful, the Black Scyther possesses The Horror

Stealth Master: The Black Scyther MAY always Infiltrates, no matter the mission.

Ultimate Leader: If The Black Scyther is taken, you may not take a Hive Tyrant.

Fleet of Claw: The Black Scyther has Fleet of Claw.

Furious Charge:See Warhammer 40,000 Universal Special Rules.

Never Back Down: The Black Scyther is a Close Combat killing machine, it is Fearless.

Bio-chemical pain killers-At the beginning of each Tyranid turn, roll a dice for each wound the Black Scyther has lost. On a 5+, one wound is regenerated.(Might be the same as "Regenerate"...not sure) Note this does NOT allow a model to regenerate if it has lost its final wound.

Preternatural Agility- The Black Scyther is fast enough to dodge any attack. It benifits from a 5+ invulnerable saving throw.

·
Registered
5,129 Posts
I think the regenerate and invulnerable save you gave this thing make it overpowered again; the carnifex is currently the only tyranid model that can get regenerate at +20 points and the rolls it requires to get back wounds are not as good as what this gets. If you are going to give it an invulnerable save, give it a beefed down version of warp field so that it retains the current armour save it has with some form of invulnerable save. (With WS and T of 6, many things are going to be lucky to cause wounds, wounds that do not allow armour saves in close combat are in the minority compared to those that do.)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think the regenerate and invulnerable save you gave this thing make it overpowered again; the carnifex is currently the only tyranid model that can get regenerate at +20 points and the rolls it requires to get back wounds are not as good as what this gets. If you are going to give it an invulnerable save, give it a beefed down version of warp field so that it retains the current armour save it has with some form of invulnerable save. (With WS and T of 6, many things are going to be lucky to cause wounds, wounds that do not allow armour saves in close combat are in the minority compared to those that do.)

I can see argument for 6+ for one, or both, but what would this do for points? What about making Regenerate not work for wounds that were caused by weapons that allowed no armor save? I supposed it could be tried with a 5+ Invulnerable, 6+ Regen. I think might feel decent. What about the remainder of the changes? I still feel like I knocked it down alot.

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
Am I simply blind? So far I can't see that he either rends or ignores armor saves. You need to up his cost I think, clearly, as he is ridiculously powerful ... UNLESS you leave him in his current state of not ignoring any armor saves. He doesn't have the "inhumanly powerful" rule that the Broodlord has, and he doesn't have rending claws. In his present state, despite all his uberness, he allows armor saves.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have upgraded the list. I still want the Black Scyther to have NO Invulnerable save or Regenerate, and keep the Psychic scream. And remember, if you are playing Apocalyspse, there may be other HQ other than the Hive Tyrant...

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
Ok i will change the cost. How much do you add for Hit and Run? Ill say 8 points.
I wouldn't bother. His retinue can't use it, and at this point its getting a bit rediculous.

8 points sounds about right I think.

Ok, I am going to do what I often do in these cases and write the stats as I feel would be fair and fun, the most important things in this game. Feel free to let me know what you think, or rip me a new one, lol.

pts: 285
WS: 6
I: 5
A: 4
Sv: 3+

Equipment: Implant Attack, The Horror, Flesh Hooks
Special Rules:

Synapse Creature: The Black Scyther, like the rest of its species, is an extremely powerful conduit of the Hive Mind. So powerful, the Black Scyther possesses The Horror

Stealth Master: The Black Scyther MAY always Infiltrates, no matter the mission.

Ultimate Leader: If The Black Scyther is taken, you may not take a Hive Tyrant.

Fleet of Claw: The Black Scyther has Fleet of Claw.

Furious Charge:See Warhammer 40,000 Universal Special Rules.

Bio-chemical pain killers-At the beginning of each Tyranid turn, roll a dice for each wound the Black Scyther has lost. On a 5+, one wound is regenerated.(Might be the same as "Regenerate"...not sure) Note this does NOT allow a model to regenerate if it has lost its final wound.

Preternatural Agility- The Black Scyther is fast enough to dodge any attack. It benifits from a 5+ invulnerable saving throw.
The problem with this is the Black Scyther seems to be a crazily enhanced Broodlord. Your stats don't fit that of a broodlord base, since some are lower than the broodlord's stats.

For those who are complaining that he's cheap, you have to remember that he has to take a retinue of genestealers. Also, double checking, it seems he pays an extra point per stealer, too. So at this point, he's a minimum of 289 pts before you add in the stealers, which would make the unit nearly 400 pts.

Also, he can still die to a single well-placed force weapon hit, several lascannons/powerfists/etc. Just consider him as a flyrant that starts up a bit closer and is over twice the cost. Sure he's hard to take care of, but he should be at his points.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts