Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come are we always pointed at and laughed at for having the weakest and even worst army?

I mean our warrior is extremely underestimated!
Initiative of 5, WS and BS of 4, option for 2 dark lances and fleet of foot.
I'd say that's not bad for 6 points!

I think that just because most of our units indeed have a +5 save or +4 at best our units are worth their value and more.

That's my rant for the day, good night!

·
Archite of Caerbannog
1,582 Posts
My store is also marine heavy so yah, anything without a 3+ armor save is laughed at.

I have no problem with this mentality as I tend to make them sweat when they see how fast I get my army into CC. I also tend to watch the model count and love outnumbering my targets - take advantage of their value and swarm.

P.S. since I do not want to vilolate copywrite laws I will just say they are worth more than what you posted - still, you are correct in that they are a wonderful value!

·
Registered
502 Posts
I was about to keel over when I read a Warrior was only 6 points. They cost the same as a regular Guardian but have better BS/WS/I. Their gun has a potentially longer range but lower S. All in all I'd say they're a really good unit for their cost. Anyone who laughs at them needs to shut up or suffer embarassment for underestimating them.

·
Dark Eldar Gerbil
1,522 Posts
I was about to keel over when I read a Warrior was only 6 points. They cost the same as a regular Guardian but have better BS/WS/I. Their gun has a potentially longer range but lower S. All in all I'd say they're a really good unit for their cost. Anyone who laughs at them needs to shut up or suffer embarassment for underestimating them.
No no, the guns are the same (the basic ones anyway) we fire flash lights (although I think we might have a better AP, not that it matters much, I never get a save other than in cover)

We are very lcose to guardsmen except that we are faster and are better in combat plus shooting. Our troops are good, very good even. However as codex creep is still continuing, or perhaps orks were just brought in to line, we are a bit outclassed by them in combat and shooting to an extent as although they can't hit anyhitng they can shoot then assault. A great weapon.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Warriors are not 6 points, they are a bit more, but I agree very versatile too. I've been trying out a troop heavy list, 4 guys of 20 and 2 guys sniper for the anti-armor units. They seem to be doing fairly well, I lost by 1 in a annihilation DoW vs a nidzilla list, 4 to 5, and he went first.

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
The humble Warrior can have –
• 2 heavy weapons per squad,
• 2 assault weapons per squad,
• Transport for every unit,
• Can fleet,
• Can form ablative armour in a retinue.
• And a character upgrade that totes the ubiquitous Agoniser.

Not bad for the points but although they may attract some hilarity on their own just consider how they play out as part of your army before looking down on them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The humble Warrior can have –
• 2 heavy weapons per squad,
• 4 assault weapons per squad,
• Transport for every unit,
• Can fleet,
• Can form ablative armour in a retinue.
• And a character upgrade that totes the ubiquitous Agoniser.
Thanks.
Edit

·
Registered
502 Posts
No no, the guns are the same (the basic ones anyway) we fire flash lights (although I think we might have a better AP, not that it matters much, I never get a save other than in cover)

We are very lcose to guardsmen except that we are faster and are better in combat plus shooting. Our troops are good, very good even. However as codex creep is still continuing, or perhaps orks were just brought in to line, we are a bit outclassed by them in combat and shooting to an extent as although they can't hit anyhitng they can shoot then assault. A great weapon.
I meant Eldar Guardians, since I am an Eldar player first and foremost (I have double the points in Eldar than I do in Necrons and Black Templars). I seldom pay attention to the DE on account of how nobody I play with have them and they come across as a bunch of gimpy sex pests.

·
Registered
153 Posts
they come across as a bunch of gimpy sex pests.
You forgot deadly, a deadly bunch of gimpy sex pests :)

No realy, i love my worriors. I will never forget the day when one of my 10men strong worriorsquads (w/2 Splintercanons, 2 blasters and a Syb w/agoniser) managed to kill 3 5man strong Grey Knight squads and 3 grey knight termis....

They nearly one my the game.

(I had to play extermination against him, DE against GK with killpoints..... :freaked-out: )

·
Registered
502 Posts
I love when I hear stories of Troops taking out superior squads. My Guardians have been known to do the same. A lot of the stick that the Dark Eldar seem to get is that the models look ancient and their rules are just as ancient, but they are for the most part quite solid for thier age.

Sometimes it's better to make models look ridiculous. People think "Oh look how stupid that looks!" then proceed to get their stuff handed to them. I like the psychological aspect of fights.

·
Scourge Lord
1,638 Posts
The only thing Warriors lack is durability. They really need cover or close combat, or they're going to go away really fast. Other than that, they have superior firepower, speed, flexibility, and economy (points cost vs. what you get). The only drawback is that there is a limit to how much damage they can realistically be expected to do in CC, so they will usually need support in that situation.

·
Registered
341 Posts
The other thing they have is numbers. if you have 2 full squads of foot loggers, you can get them to team up and do some serious damage. I've done this a couple of times, almost took down a carinfex, then the game ended.

·
Scourge Lord
1,638 Posts
Numbers are not a big strength of the Warrior Squad, and the reason is because of these factors:

• No way to become Fearless (like the Orks' mob rule)
• No armor save against most standard issue rifles & pistols.
• S3 rifles that cause minimal damage to reasonably tough or armored opponents.

Teaming up in Multiple Combat is an important part of their success, but our Warrior Squads are not so much cheaper than other armies' choices that they can always double up on them. Plus there is the limit of 6 Troop choices to consider for any game getting up above 1,500 points per side. I chalk this advantage up to their speed, which is what allows them to pick who, where, and when to assault. Most other armies do not have Fleet on their Troops, and so would need transports or else they will normally be the ones receiving the charge.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think fifth helped us out a little in regards to our poor armor save. With 4+ cover being very easy to attain we are paying points for a 5+ and getting the 4. Fleet is a little less usefull now, but being able to assault afterward is the difference beetween a rhino and a land raider. I don't think the issue is with our statline. We need the option for pistol/CC Losing 9 attacks on a raider squad per round of CC, that hurts. Also our weapons. At least where I play its MEQ MEQ MEQ.. every flavor available, but aside from me and the rogue IG player thats the competition. Str * rifles vs T4 isnt good, and blaster is the only ranged (hand held) weapon we have that ignore 3+ That and I am not entirely sold on splinter cannons. 4 shots is great, 3 hit most often but then 4's to wound and a 3+.. I am not good at mathhammer but I am pretty sure that dosn't equal 1 dead. In the end we arn't shooty warriors need to find an isolated unit and overwhelm it to be effective. I don't want rifles on my warriors.

·
Slaaneshi Battle Barge CO
1,508 Posts
I like the idea of making Splinter Weapons rending, the Splinter Rifle an assault weapon and giving DE Warriors +1 attack on the charge for all the blades on their weapons.

Durability is a nice thing (I play CSM, too), but it costs points. I can deal with T3 and an almost non-existent armor save as long as my troops can actually kill things. We're an aggressive, movement based army.. the rules should reflect that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have learned that if I don't decimate the unit on the charge (75% casualties) the return attacks are gonna put a hurting on me. The trick I am trying to learn now is killing 75% not 100%. It sucks when your troops are standing there with the shoot me icon above em.

(unrelated but relevant) Thats why I love fighting CSM/marines And they shall know no fear/fearless takes away me worrying about them running away. Since the consolidation changes that disallowed sweeping into another unit I think it has become a small liability.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts