Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
~My friends and I have been playing at about 1000 points. A couple of times I have fielded two level two mages. Usually this is combined with sword masters of phoenix guard. I have tried fielding them in a couple of ways, and they ended up working fine in the games.

~My question is this: Have I gotten lucky? Or are two mages in 1k points a good idea. The problem I see is going against dwarves with their 4 dispel dice, and my friend that plays an army of wood elves with 5 total dispel dice.

~Any advice would be super when fielding high amounts of magic in low point games.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In my experience 2 high elf mages kick ass in 1k games. Backed up with 18 swordmasters archers and 2 RBT. You shoot and magic his army down the drain and in combat the swordmasters will slaugther whats left ;).

works fine for me.

Even against tough dispel force you can out magic with the right magic items. (use some boundspells!)

·
Herman1004
1,266 Posts
Hi

I think the idea of two lvl. 2 mages is really great. I played a 1000 p. battle earlier today using this combination:

Lvl. 2 mage
seerstaff
dispel scroll

lvl. 2 mage
silver wand
ring of fury

I found I was a bit short on powerdice though so you may want to add banner of sorcery. As this was against the new VC with three casters, I wasn't surprised to be overwhelmed with magic. Against armies that don't rely so heavily on magic it would work quite well though.

High magic is the best lore to use in smaller games unless you know who you are facing and want a different lore to suit your opponent. High magic is a balanced mix of damage/support spells and I always include a high mage in my army.

Hope it helped.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
it probably works great, until your opponent figures out that you're spending 2/5 of your points on 2 guys. All he has to do is come up with something to take them out (there are several snipers in the game) or get around your magic. To be honest, high magic is not offensive in any way. I can think of an easy way to take out 2 RBT 2 mages, 18 swordmasters with just about every army in the game and i don't even play every army in the game. It may work now, but eventually you'll play someone who thinks before they play, and you'll get whipped.

For example (anything with decent armorsaves Brets, HE, Chaos, Empireknights) can all rip you a new one. All they have to take is a couple of scrolls and they can block the 1-2 spells that might hurt them from the lore of metal. HE magic will bounce off them, and Fury of Khaine is the only "offensive" spell inthat lore.

Any army with chariots

Any army with Hordes (lots of numbers)

Like I said, I can think of an example for every army in the game who could take this army out. I think you'll be challenged to keep winning, unless your opponents can't figure this out (they may be new or limited to what units they take) But a small balanced force will win the day 90% of the time (80% for me, because I roll terribly)

·
A legend in my own mind.
1,480 Posts
High magic's best spells is drain magic. If you face someone that likes to use magic, drain magic can make life difficult for the level 1 and 2 mages since they have less dice to work with.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I always go magic heavy in my HE lists and it works pretty well for me. Under 2k I do what you do and go with 2 level 2 mages. One takes High Magic for Drain Magic and Shield of Saphery (and whatever spell I roll), the other takes the seerstaff so he can get the spells from whatever lore is most useful against my current enemy.

it probably works great, until your opponent figures out that you're spending 2/5 of your points on 2 guys. All he has to do is come up with something to take them out (there are several snipers in the game) or get around your magic.
This logic could apply to any tactic/unit that you EVER use in an army though. No matter what you do if you use the exact same build and tactics against the same opponent over and over again you will always end up getting beat in the end.

·
Registered
7 Posts
With two casters. Demandred's suggestion of splitting lores is the way to go.

Any time you depend heavily on magic, you're going to be subject to the vagaries of a smaller number of dice, however. For example, I just played a couple of games with my son last weekend. 1100 points, HE with 2 casters against Chaos Hordes with no casters...going all out to close and crush. (The HE casters were High and Metal for lore.) In the first game, the HE had some good magic rolls combined with rusty Chaos tactics on my part, and absolutely crushed the Chaos lads. In the second game, the HE magic rolls were dismal, and Chaos turned the tables handily.

Four spell casts in the first two turns can make a huge difference in a game like this if they go really well or really wrong.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts