Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Art Culinaire
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here's a rough draft cause I dont have my list on me AT the moment My company
(The Fighting 69TH is based around 2,500pts) Let me know what you guys think.

+HQ+
S.O. pfist, p.p. refractor, honorifica imperialis
Medic
2x grenade launcher
1x Regimental standard
Master Vox Caster
(attatched psyker)
(attached commisar)-makes sure that psyker wont be ((possesed.-(thats a bad thing))

(TRANSPORT CHIMERA)
ex armor, h.m. heavy bolter, multi laser, pintle stubber, smoke

ADVISORS;
5x commisars all armed (trademark item, power fist, plasma pistol (1 armed with refractor)
5x sanctioned psykers

+TROOPS+

Command Revenant:
JO, power fist, pp
Medic
Flamer
Vox Caster
Standard
(attatched commisar)
(attatched psyker)

Command Centuris
(same as above)

PLATOON Revenant:

squad braxis:
veteran sgt, (was wondering if i could give him pfist or do i have to go with psword?)
p.p.
Flamer
Heavy Bolter
Vox caster
(attatched commisar)
(attached psyker)

squad centarius;
veteran sgt, (same question as above)
gernade launcher
missile launcher
vox caster

AF SQUAD Delta:
veteran sgt; (same as above)
gernade launcher
lascannon
vox caster
TRANSPORT CHIMERA; (Armed as previous chimera)

CONSCRIPTED AGENTS
4x 10 man squads
8 flamers

COMMAND CENTURIS (mirrored from command revenant)
PLATOON CENTURIS (mirrored from platoon revenant)

WELL, thats 900 pts of troops right there over 150ish models Sit back and shoot, use the mercs
as using the flamers to prevent charges, as well as using lascannons/ missile launchers to pick off any
mechanized troops or tanks.

I've opted to soupe up my heavy support with 3 tanks to roll inbetween my guardsmen. AF squads will
use the blitzkreiger to punch in, or around enemy lines.

For my tanks I've opted to use

2X LEMAN RUSS BATTLE TANKS, (extra armour, hull mounted lascannons, sponson heavy bolters, smoke, and pintle stubbers to get the best amount of shots possible)

1X Demolisher (Armed same as the battle tanks)

I WANT TO PUT IN 2X HELLHOUNDS but need to find the points. What would u guys reccomend ditching?

-BLADE.

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
there were a few things i wanted to elaborate on for recommendations/suggestions but i'm just going to try to keep it all short.

-to gear up your hq command squad, up the officer to heroic and give the honorifica to the accompanying sanctioned psyker along with a force weapon. i'd also drop all the powerfists to power weapons (guard never seem to live long enough to make good use of pfists). aside from that combo, sanctioned psykers are a waste of points (so i assume they're all there fluff-wise). but fluff-wise it'd seem odd for each commissar to have a trademark item.
-for your platoon command squads, only your hq command squad can use standard bearers, so you'd have to drop those. and since they're part of the firing line, change the flamers to heavy weapons and drop the gear on the officers, same with the vet sgts (who can't take powerfists/-weapons anyways since they're officer only).
-for the infantry squads, aside from conscript platoons, you shouldnt use flamers, they're an assault weapon; in defense, they're too short ranged to use before getting charged unless the charging unit falls short in difficult terrain in which case, all your guns get to hit them again anyways.
-AF squads aren't that good for taking objectives or pushing forward, stormtroopers or ogryns in a chimera would work better.
-for your conscripts, you can only have 1 flamer per squad taken, so 4 squads is 4 flamers and not 8.
-triple heavy bolters on your russes is about the most effective (your line squads should be handling anti-tank), the cannon can put the hurt on your tightly grouped enemies or 12 shots from your secondary weapons will mop up units that are trying to stay spread out to avoid the template.

didn't add up the points to check, but with the amount of gear dropped off your officers/etc, there should be enough points for those hellhounds. (but there doesn't seem to be much here for 2500pts)

those are all just suggestions and hope some of them help.

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
The army isn't all infantry if you have Chimeras, Russes, and plan to include Hellhounds...

As for advice, basically I agree with what Certemplar said.
If you add the Hellhounds, then I would consider giving the Russes' stubbers to them.

·
Art Culinaire
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so. i guess i;m trying to be static with this list, now to think of it, but as my points grow bigger i want the base of the army to be all infantry, but thats a whole different story in itself due for another thread.

But the first thing I would like to point out as far as plat command all standards are regular standards, and only my HQ uses a regimental standard.

The second thing is that I would like to optimise my command squads and I'm currently taking any advice and willing to rework it.

As far as opinion wise, do you guys like the sound of having a frontline of conscripts with flamers?

I'm sure well get the rest worked out later.

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
for standards, no matter the type, only the hq command squad can carry one. a force org chart represents an ig company or a detachment of one (depending on points). only the company hq command squad would carry a company standard, not each platoon (only one per company, that's what makes it 'the' standard).

for command squads; the hq one is best utilized for it's leadership bubble (and namely that ability to have a standard). so stick it inyour firing line, give it a mortar and keep it out of line of sight so it can provide leadership to your squads and a couple mortar shots while not getting zapped by the enemy), they're kinda like skaven heroes that lead from the rear of the regiment.

as for the platoon command squads, you can either give them a mortar as well and extend the ld bubble (though you can't take a standard with them, though you could use a HSO and a JO w/ Honorifica to double that ld coverage) or you make them suicidally fun. best applied by loading them up with flamers and either drop trooping them, or sticking them in a chimera, ideally one with a heavy flamer turret and hull-mount. there's also a few people i've seen who do the whole 2-3 plasma weapon w/ medic firing command squad, since the medic can allow the squad to ignore one failed overheat save per turn as well.

as for conscripts, i think they're best used as an anchor on your flanks. take 40-50 of them, give them an independant commissar (hopefully have a model within 12" of the hq command to get the standard-effect) and keep them in cover and you have yourself the recipe for a unit that is gonna be a pain in the arse to dislodge. even if they don't do much damage, it bog down any enemy units trying to push in on that flank the majority of the game to push through that one mass of conscripts.

for a static list, you may want to look into maybe incorporating fire/anti-tank/mortar support squads for added firepower.

·
Art Culinaire
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hrm never really thought about it that way. Conscripts in cover? Eh? Sounds like a pretty sweet
deal with 4+ 5+ coversave right off the bat.

Also axe the platoon standards?

Lesse um, yes I like the sound of "suicidally fun" any way to amp up a suicidal HQ unit?

And 80 conscripts would be overkill, yes I agree on that one but I prefer to have 16 flamers
to prevent charge.

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
Also axe the platoon standards?

Lesse um, yes I like the sound of "suicidally fun" any way to amp up a suicidal HQ unit?

And 80 conscripts would be overkill, yes I agree on that one but I prefer to have 16 flamers
to prevent charge.
You can't have more than one standard anyways, so yes, drop them. In the codex,
on p39: "Only a Command Squad acting as part of the Command Platoon may have a Standard Bearer"

I suggest not amping up a suicidal HQ unit. They're fairly easy to kill, so you'd really just be drawing points away from your other units, plus handing the opponent more victory points for a unit that they would have killed anyways.
Try to keep it at a minimal:
-JO - bolter or storm bolter
-Guardsmen - special weapons; for the best effect, make them all the same type. If you're using a plasma squad, then sometimes a medic might be useful.
-Drop troops or a Chimera can be useful for getting into place.

I'm not sure what you mean by that; The list only has 40 Conscripts.
Anyways, 80 Conscripts gets you up to 8 flamers. It specifically states "Up to one Conscript per squad may be armed with a flamer at +Xpts". Again, check the Codex.

·
Art Culinaire
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doh, duly noted, Methinks I'll chop out some conscript squads and throw in some hellhounds.

As well as un-mod my HQ.

I've also noticed that some people use at least two spec weapons (in platoon hq) when I game
against guard...are they cheating? or is there some rule that allows this in the dex?

I just might do the same If I can figure this one out.
-your help has been fully appreciated!
--BLADERUNNER.

·
Shrug, k...
1,350 Posts
nope, it's legit, you can field all 4 of those accompanying guardsmen in a command squad with special weapons if you so choose. but it's usually keen just to use 2-3 so that the first couple casualties in that squad are on lasgun-guys and not points spent on special weapons.

generally, flamers are good in drop troop-suicide ones (2-3 flamer templates clears up large mobs of weak units easy)
otherwise 2-3 grenade launchers packs a decent move-n-shot.
if you want to use 2-3 plasma, i'd upgrade one of the unarmed guardsmen to a medic to save you from some overheats (but generally it's not worth the points with their weak BS and small, fragile squad size).

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
right lets have a look at this list,

1. the vet sarges in the squads cant have powerfist or powerswords.
2. the conscripts have 8 flamers for 40 men this is double the legal amount.
3. The main commander doesnt need to be an SO esp due to the honorifica drop him down to JO saves you 15 wasted points.
4. Everything is way too tooled out. loads of powerfist and plasma pistols all over the place.the commisars are 80 points each with one being 95! that is well a tooled 4 squad platoon there just on five men!
5. command squad medic is ok but not essential.
6. Standards in platoon commands are as already stated illegal so need to go.
7. platoon weapons arent great. flamers dont mix with heavy weapons and nothing goes with a lascannon so drop the flamer from the platoon and move that grenade launcher to the heavy bolter squad.
8. tank setup needs a little tweaking, personally I dont like smokes on MBT's esp when they have extra armour. The lascannons would do better being downgraded to heavy bolters thatd work better and save points.
9. I count only 115 men and 5 vehicles.
10. your cehicles average at 147.8 points at the moment which isnt too bad however your men average at 15.3 points per model, an average platoon guy in this army is, 16.14 points. In my high cost army a guy is 11.15 points. Yes boring numbers but you are paying way too much for your men. eg.
195 for a single platoon command, 468 for a platoon
I have an army that costs 400 points with a platoon, vet squad with chimera so effectively you are wasting enough for a vet squad and chimera on every platoon.

Now lets be more constructive,
1. drop all of the illegal stuff thatll save 46 points, now all of the extra stuff that confers no great advantage thats another 15 points. Now all of the over tooling, so plasmas on anyone with one wound, thats 40 points. The vet sarges, (they dont really have a use you have standards and a vox network!) another 36 points, alll powerfists (for the moment) thats another ooo 120 points oh and both refractor fields. thats another 30 points. a running total of 287 so far.
2. There is lots more stuff i'd get rid of such as all of the medics, and a revamp of weapons which would save a fair few points. Also the smokes on the MBT's and their lascannons downgrading. thatd be another 100 ish points.
3. the commisars that you ahve are to do with the psykers. Now these psyker need to be fairly close to be constructive so I'd say dropping the ones int he line squads woudl be worthwhile thatd be an additional 124 points saved.
4. If you do the above you can save 500 points easily. This would also confer no great loss to your army. These points could be sunk into elite squads such as veterans with chimerae. say three 5 man squads with three plas or melta and their own chimera that have, multilas heavy bolter, extra armour and smokes. This would add punch to your army and really add an element of decisiveness to your force if used with the Russes.

Lots and lots to think about. Essentially strip back all of the gear to nothing and then add in a couple of bits here and there.

Hope that helps

A

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.