Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i have a question to pose about the flag of blood keep. the wording states that the flag gives a ward save to the unit against any ranged attacks (including, magic missles, templets,etc)

me and a friend of mine up at the local GW were talking about it and he stated that if he cast rule of burning iron or Spirit of the forge that because they are not magic missles, and hence not a ranged attack but an effect (heating up the armor) so the flag would not grant the unit it's ward save.

my argument was that it was a ranged attack as it used a range and resolved damage, but he argued that it was an effect not an attack. there are several other spells in which we were discussing but these were the main 2 as they started the conversation, pretty much any spell that is not a magic missle and yet still does damage to a unit at range.

so tell me what you guys think, save or no save vs the ranged effect spell.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I hate their wording on this one, I have would say no ward save as Magic Missile is clearly defined so why make the distinction when all but the self spells have ranges.

Lore wise I think the ward is to protect against actual incoming "missiles" of one kind or another not just a spell being cast from a distance to open the ground up, melt your armour or create a wall of fire ect.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but i consider a "ranged attack" any damaging effect which comes from above range 0 which is close combat, everything else is a ranged attack isn't it. rule of burning iron is still a ranged attack as it does damage and comes from up to 24" away.

lore wise the blood knights loathed ranged attacks of any kind including magical effects so i always imagined that the banner was just infused with so much hatred that it put up a shield that stopped arrows, cannon balls or even magic from hurting the knights

·
Registered
287 Posts
but i consider a "ranged attack" any damaging effect which comes from above range 0 which is close combat, everything else is a ranged attack isn't it. rule of burning iron is still a ranged attack as it does damage and comes from up to 24" away.
The whole "i consider a ranged attack" is not a rule, but rather how you feel about the subject. Unless you can find a rule that supports your feeling then its not a rule.

The fact that it includes Magic missiles instead of all magic with a range means they are only including magic missiles or template spells.

·
Registered
197 Posts
The Flag of Blood Keep: 'Grants the unit a 4+ save against range attacks of any kind'.

Everyone at my GW takes this to mean any weapon or spell that has 'range' in its text or requires a range to hit.

·
Registered
332 Posts
That is a tough one. I would of thought prior to reading the description again that it would only block magic missiles and other magic would would not get the ward save. While I believe that is how the rule was designed I can not say you do not have a case. I think this one falls on a good old dice roll to find out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.