Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People of Fenris – I have need for a tool with which to be a real pain in the side of the opposition, I thought initially of using 5 scouts with an ml and 2 melta bombs, the plan being sneak onto the board and then snipe at tanks, however after reading of lone wolves loping up the board taking immense punishment and generally tearing everything to pieces, I though the following might be an idea – lone wolf, TDA, SS, TH, and a pet wolf, or a similar build.
So the question stands, which do you think would be more effective both in terms of psychological effect and actual effect. Also any tales of your lone wolf exploits would be greatly appreciated.
Any advice and comments would be MUCH appreciated
Cheers
matt

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Though I haven't tried using them, I am not too convinced about the lone wolves. In your config, they costs about 90-110pts depending on how many wolf companions. Sure they can soak up damage, but the smart player would just ignore them. With just 2+1 A (+wolves), how much damage can they really do?

For about the same amount of points, I'd rather get a smallish 5x GH's w/flamer in rhino as another scoring option (objectives-sitter) or as support...or add wolfguards to my units...or get more long fangs...or get another rune priest/battle leader/wolf priest.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok then so overall the lone wolf would be a bad choice to take... as regards the rest of the list i've covered the bases of wolf lord, rune preist, long fangs, grey hunters in rhinos and termie wolf guard (in an ex - GK LR) so was looking for something a little different. would the scouts (see above) be a competetive option, either keeping them as they are, switching the ml for a melta or keeping the ml and giving the rest sniper rifles? or is this just me looking for a nice modeling oppertunity?

thanks for the quick reply... much appreciated

matt

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I'm a fan of the Lone Wolf, if you have the points to spare. It's the psychological effect he has on opponents during KP missions -- he's capable of causing massive pain if ignored, but killing him would deny the opponent a KP. Don't spend more than 50 points total on him though..

If I sell off my other armies and get back into SW, I'm considering making one or two Lone Wolves.. Two reasons:
1) They're very fluffy. If I am absolutely annihilated one game, you can bet I'll bring out a Lone Wolf in the next.
2) The possibilities for modeling and painting are just too appealing to pass up. It's like designing a non character IC.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
I have been thinking about using the scouts. I loved them in the older SW codex, but with the new 'dex, they seem a little less reliable. Still, just knowing that you have them will make your opponent think twice about his deployment and he'd most likely deploy his forces a little closer in (depending on what his army is). If he does that, then I think the scouts have already done their jobs.

If I were to use them, I'd take a 5-man squad and give them a meltagun and meltabombs. Giving them snipes defeats the purpose of their special rule, not to mention the turn they come in they can't use their heavy weapons. And don't give them too much gear because they won't survive your opponent's turn. Make them cheap and sacrificial. I see them as more of a psychological factor to mess with enemy deployment. If they happen to blow up any tanks, then to me that's a bonus.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Scouts have a good psychological effect too. And I reckon they're more reliable for their cost. Still, I wouldn't abandon the idea of a Lone Wolf.

Just because you have the model doesn't mean you have to use it. I consider it a worthy endeavor to build one at least, for the two reasons I mentioned above. But then again, I'm a sucker for designing fluffy, campaign style lists, dependent upon the happenings of previous games..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
first of all thank you both for the replies, nice to have both sides of the argument :)

both of these options seem to have a nasty psycoligical effect and offer good modeling oppertunites (i've seen some fantastic SW scouts converted using chaos marauderer bitz)

@BossGorestompa - if using a lone wolf how would you kit him out and play him? my list should be able to deal with light infantry but heavies and heavy tanks could cause problems, how would you deal with them?

@jy2 - thanks for the recommendations as regards the scouts - would you allow the scouts to get into combat with the likes of a group of ork lootas or should the task be sole tank hunting duties?

thanks again to both of you the advice is extremly useful!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
IMO I think Stelek got the best lone wolf config figured out awhile ago.

TDA, Chainfist, Storm Shield: 85 points. Ridiculously hard to kill, ridiculously hard to ignore.

I haven't really found a list they work with yet though. Someday.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
I would normally use scouts for tank hunting. Unfortunately, orks, nids and necrons are probably the only armies that aren't bothered by scouts. However, they can still tie up lootas and necron warriors in cc if there's nothing else or kill some gaunts sitting on a home objective.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Well.. if I decide to get back into SW, I have a few bits of fluff worked out for my Great Company to-be. One of which, they carry a particularly strong superstition concerning vows.

Withholding detailed fluff (because it isn't written out yet) should a sole survivor of a pack feel so compelled to do so, they may speak a vow most sacred, and at the same time most taboo, to the Company. In doing so, they release the cage that tames their inner wolf and are officially recorded as a casualty (by superstition, allowing them to join their pack in death) so that they may bring vengeance upon their foe with reckless abandon. Should they complete their vow and survive, and withstand the desire of their inner wolf to control them, they are ritualistically reborn, given a new name, and considered for selection amongst the Wolf Guard.

Lone Wolf (75 Points)
+Terminator Armour, Storm Shield, Storm Bolter
+Mark of the Wulfen

That's the fluffy one. Here's the cheap all purpose Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf (50 Points)
+Terminator Armour, Meltabombs

He's still intimidating for the points, though the psychological effect is not as great as the fluffy one.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Filler

Personally I've been finding Lone Wolves useful as a harrasser unit. If I've written up an army list and have say 20-50 points spare at the end, I take a Lone Wolf and give them whatever kit that I can.

Functionally I keep them behind a blood claw or wolf guard assault pack, they provide extra attacks and the other player sooooooo often forgets to attack them hehe

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'm finding it kind of odd that a lot of people give their Lone Wolves TDA and Storm Shields, makes a suicidal unit very hard to kill. Seems to be against the whole point of Lone Wolves to me.

I would be more of the opinion that a Lone Wolf should be a glass cannon, packs a very nasty hit but breaks easily. I'd send him out alone but lethal, make him an inviting target. If they shoot him to death, that's a kill point for me and a round of shooting that's not aimed at anything else in my army. If they ignore him, he should be fast enough to catch something and make it bleed, so no TDA for me. Doubly so if you want to sweep stuff, I love the idea of a Lone Wolf actually wiping out entire squads just by himself, which you can't do if he can't sweep. Power armour Lone Wolves definately have a place against armies that have large squads of troops that aren't fearless, striking with a power weapon/rending at initiative could up the body count enough for a nice sweep.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think I'm going to try a lone wolf with a Mark of the Wulfen, melta bombs, and two wolves. I think this ended up being 60pts (a little higher than I'd like but not too bad). The mark will hopefully provide a healthy number of attacks, and the wolves are there to dump in wounds as needed. I'll try and steer him towards non-vehicles, but he'll have the melta bombs if needed, and can at least re-roll hits against walkers.

If anyone has experience with a loadout like that, let me know. Otherwise, I'll probably find out tonight!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've run my Lone Wolf in power armor with twin Wolf Claws. I give him 2 wolves for ablative wounds. Depending on the enemy set-up, I'll either run him behind a squad/rhino or make decent use of cover. I want to get him into CC quickly, because that's where he excels. He slices and dices and goes out in a flame of glory.
Scouts are also good, but as jy2 mentioned, they are a little less reliable now. They are still a valuable tool in the SW army though.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I disagree about fielding a glass Lone Wolf. Quite the opposite, it is contrary to his purpose to make him easy to kill. (Of course, he isn't necessarily easy to kill even with just power armour.)

If you beef him up, as my Oathbound Lone Wolf is, he still poses a deadly threat -- enough that you might consider attempting to fire upon him. But chances are, he'll be ignored until close combat... great! That's where I want to make use of TDA/SS. He's unlikely to break a squad in one round of combat, so his devastation will be caused by tieing an opponent up across 2-3 rounds, resulting in either his or the opposing squad's death. On the other hand, with a 3+ save / 4+ FNP, he'll drop as soon as the opponent counter attacks with a power weapon / fist (which is quite likely).

Once he tarpits a unit (obviously, one that will be sorely missed), the opponent will think twice about ignoring him.. leaving them with a difficult decision to make. And difficult decisions are where most players make the worse mistakes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
cheap glass man vs 'ard as nails hell bringer... i'll go for hell bringer :D certainly goes with the fluff although the TDA is a debate which would take a little to finish... on a quick side note what makes the scouts unrelaiable these days in comparison to the last codex?

thanks again to all that have commented, once again it's greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
495 Posts
... on a quick side note what makes the scouts unrelaiable these days in comparison to the last codex?
In the last codex, Wolf Scout's OBEL ability allowed them to come on every time from the opponents board edge when they appeared.
Now with OBEL, there is a 33% chance they will come on one of the side board edges instead of the back edge. If you come on the wrong edge, that melta that you had planned for the back of that tank that's raining shells down on you is gone. Its just that monkey wrench that can mess up your strategy.

·
Registered
237 Posts
lone wolf storm shield mark of the wolfen cheap cheerful surviable (excuse spelling), kills quite alot to point him at guardsmen etc and make squishy sounds cant remember exact costs but thats about 50 points ish well worth it in my oppinion

·
Registered
286 Posts
I really like the idea of lone wolves and think that there are benefits to both the cheap and expensive kinds, if only they didn't take up an elite slot... or if you could but multiple....

Anyways one thing I have been reading and seen is that people seem to be under the impression that you get a kill point when the enemy kills them. This is not true, they just don't give your enemy one, unless they don't die.

cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.