Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of the GCN. Is anyone a member of one of its clubs? Does anyone find being a member club useful?

Would love to know other people's experiences of it.

Does the GCN operate anywhere outside the UK?

·
Ancient Spacefarer
1,715 Posts
What do you think of the GCN. Is anyone a member of one of its clubs? Does anyone find being a member club useful?
I think GCN was a wonderful idea and it still is, personally, as it is orgainizations like these that keep the hobby alive here in the UK, Games Workshop does this to 'keep' their older players and the incoming revenue flowing in. So we got two deals in one here, our community is kept alive by joining all the clubs across the UK together and GW is raking in all the more cash, GCN is a hub that makes all these connections and keep everybody well connected and informed of upcoming events, products and changes that are likely to occur. There are lots of other 'small-time' clubs that are made during after-school by kids, those who come together for a few games once in a blue moon or a group of a few friends joining-up to play in an individual's garage - these do not quite reach the GCN due to their random meetings/ unsuitable public venues and generally go unnoticed.

The club that I hang out in is not part of the GCN and the club orgainizer just doesn't want the hassle of filling out forms and bothering his members for their details, just to get a place on the list/map and a few cheap products thrown our way for free, then we'll never hear from them again. We had some new developments lately as a nearby GCN club's members started arriving by storm looking for new opponents to play with, I knew instantly what their Club Orgainizer wanted and why he came all the way over here - and it wasn't for the games and biscuits either - he tried time and again to convince our little club to join the GCN but our club orgainizer wouldn't have any of it. It's not like he hate the idea of the GCN, it's just that we're only a small club and we don't want to overcrowd our nice relaxing atmosphere by making it the 'centre of the world' where everybody wants to be. If that happens, there goes our chance of relaxation.
In my eyes, I see the GCN as a method of uniting the scattered clubs across the UK, and being a member of one of these clubs won't be any different to joining up with some like-minded friends to play our favourite game in the living room/garage/garden:)

Would love to know other people's experiences of it.
I'm sorry I don't have any experience of the GCN, so I can't help you there.

Does the GCN operate anywhere outside the UK?
I'd say no, the GCN is stationed here in the UK. Although there are similar networks around the globe, I'd imagine, as different cultures naturally have different ways of dealing/orgainizing community networks, so we are not all tied as one, big, happy family, I'm afraid; as the likleihood of that happening is the likeihood of all the countries being united under one banner - not going to happen. :p

-Kai-Itza-

·
Registered
267 Posts
Our gaming club has just joined the GCN and we are now called the 'wakefield warriors' even though most of us wanted to be 'Battlestar wakefield'. :D it was apperently too nerdy... :p

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gedderz - I found the club I go to from the GCN and I agree that GW seems to do very little to promote/support GCN clubs. This has been the big issue with our club - we sign up to all the rules/ideals etc.. but don't seem to get much in way of promotional support.

We are looking for some older players and really seem to struggle reaching out to them. Does anyone have any ideas/suggestions for promoting themselves to this market. We've tried the local GW store but they've been pretty useless despite us providing them with leaflets and info about our on-going events. They seem more interested in developing the teenage following but this young age is not what we really want in our club.

We've found older players don't use the local store so are finding getting them aware of us quite difficult.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.