Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"There are many ranks of power within the Imperial Guard that stretch all the way up from lowly sergeants at squad level through to Warmasters of sectors and even the supreme commander on Terra itself. on the front line thoguh it is normally those up to the rank of major or colonel who see action, with Generals and their superiors better suited to staying in a location that gives them a superior tactical view of the battlefield so they can better direct their forces for the glory of the Emperor.

On the ground the structure is usually a 3 tiered affair, with squad Sergeants answerable to their platoon commanders, who in turn report to the company command squad. This oftn consists of various advisors the commander has chosen to accompany him (or her) for tactical reasons or a retinue of his most trusted bodyguard."

First of all, apologies for the delay between the last one and this, Christmas and work have both conspired to remove warhammer from my mind for the last month or so and I completely forgot to update this.

Pleasantries aside, the CCS and PCS are 2 of the most hotly debated units in the codex with regards to setup, usability, points costs (should they be maxed out or stripped bare) and their main use in the army.

So ... DISCUSS!

·
Registered
961 Posts
They're handy special weapon delivery systems for me. The real meat of the army is always in the infantry units (and their transports), veterans or regular platoons both. This generally results in them having 3/4 special weapons (typically melta or plasma for the company, flamers for platoon), and a Chimera. If I'm running an all-infantry list, maybe a Regimental Standard and/or Vox, and Camo-cloaks are almost a necessity if they're not in a chimera though. Creed and Straken are left for specialized lists only. Nork is always left out, as are most of the other upgrades. I'd maybe take a medic for Straken, but that'd be it.

Advisors are taken based on need - if I'm expecting reserve-heavy opponents (especially Outflanking-heavy), I'll take a Fleet Officer. If I'm reserve-heavy, I'll take an astropath. Bodyguards are taken if I have the spare points and nothing better to spend it on, and Masters of Ordinance are left out because the CCS is almost always moving.

In summary, Command Squads are good.... but only because you have to take them, and you can take a lot of special weapons in them. Two Company Commands can be useful for redundancy purposes - split up the advisors, so the enemy has to take out more guys to get to them. Still better than the other HQ choices.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Personally, I think that the Command Squad offers great bang for the buck, and allows for a hefty degree of force customization. Have a mobile force? Get a ride in a chimera. Have a footslogging force? Grab some camo cloaks. Facing hordes? Grab flamers. I can't think of any HQ choice in any list that allows this kind of performance and flexibility for the cost.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I usually run my command squads like this:
One CCS with 5 plasma weapons and one PCS with 4 melltas/flamers
or
Or absolutly bare at minimum cost
or
None and use a Lord Commisar.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
By 'command structure' I assume one means 'reliable orders'. Orders are probably the second-greatest equalizer the Imperial Guard have, allowing ordinary, cheap units to perform at Space Marine levels on an as-needed basis. (Number one is still ordnance.) Voxes are the cheapest source of command. Commissars are the most expensive but provide the additional benefits of improved leadership and some close combat prowess. Kell is the simplest to use but also the most vulnerable. Any of the three are reasonable for the cost.

A neat experiment to try is using a couple static Veteran squads backed up by a CCS, maybe with 3 plasma guns and a missile launcher. Their improved stats are as good as the twin-link order and, by using the reroll-cover order, you can line up a disposable squad in front of them with no real penalty. They ignore enemy armor and cover (mostly) while being safe from a charge. Or you can use the twin-link order anyway and not lose men to overheats, especially when the speedbump is wiped out and your enemy is waiting to die two inches away. Very killy!

Another experiment is pairing a CCS with a Commissar Lord. The leadership bubble and order range are roughly the same. The Lord Commie guarantees that two nearby squads will obey orders and, if/when the CCS is destroyed, he can hold the line as a backup commander. Too many generals look at the Lord Commissar, think 'vulnerable to powerfists!' and then ignore him without noticing that his real strengths have nothing to do with close combat. He just happens to be good at that, too.

In my opinion, most mechanized lists don't have a command structure at all; it's only coincidence that some of the special weapon teams have the ability to use orders or advisors.

My own favorite setup is Creed in a Chimera bunker with a vox net. Nothing makes me feel like I'm playing a Guard army more than radioing orders to the men!

·
Registered
29 Posts
To most players, Command Squads have always been a pain and have tried to utilise their efficiency only because you MUST take them. Not to be misunderstood though, I mentioned to MOST players.

Much like stated before, they are an adaptable lot concerning the type of army you field and they can be used to fill gaps in the weapon distribution between squads. The new Orders system has given them a different route of actions in the Battlefield.

Personally, I field the PCS with a minimum of two special weapons and these ussually are either 2 flamers or 2 Sniper Rifles, though the 'Flamers version' has a much need for a Chimera or transportation in general.

My CCS currently is under field test and has a Boltgun-wielding Company Commander, 2 Plasma gunners, a Medic and a Vox-Caster. Their BS4 could be handy with a couple of Snipers though...maybe I could field-test it as well...

I have a question though. I see many players arming the CCS with Flamers and I wonder if it is worthy the sacrifice of their superior BS with the flamer Template.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My army is footslogging so the Officers have to walk everywhere just like the men :)

I like the idea of snipers (especially as I run a gunline) but the SWS squads look a bit pants to me and BS3?

My CCS runs Officer with laspistol & powersword, Standard, Medic and 2 x Snipers and MoO attached

PCS runs with laspistol & Powersword and 4 x Flamers.

It is very much a "fluff" thing - the CCS stands back to direct the firefight with the snipers popping off using a handy BS4

The PCS(s) (I have 3) act as countercharge units for things that get too close or for spearheading the slog to victory - 4 templates that don't have to worry about BS3 is good in my book,

Oh yes the Powerswords - well I "could" save the points but it's partly WYSIWYG and partly I like the chaps to look elegant and polished as they despatch the Emperors enemies with delicate strokes of the blade (plus they can always fall on their swords if they mess up which saves the Commissars a job....)

·
Registered
759 Posts
The Orders sytem is one of the big changes to the new codex, and, in my opinion, one that is long overdue. Before now, command squads were generally regarded with annoyance by myself and other players, but now they can actually contribute something to the games. I find orders very valuable, and allow me to get off insane amounts of shots, so naturally I love command squads. I generally have a company command squad with CC with a power fist, a regimental stardard, a vox, medic and a special weapon. This is partly for fluff, and a power fist is one of the few weapons that can deal with heavy hitters.

My PCS's usually have special weapons, and drive into the fray alongside infantry swarms.

·
NCIS fan
818 Posts
Any suggestions for a CCS of a MEC list?

I'm liking this thread, due to some really good ideas, but I'm lost when it comes to arming my MEC CCS properly.

Thx :beer:

·
Registered
961 Posts
I generally arm them to do whatever the veterans aren't. Need more meltas? More plasmas? Autocannon? They're not quite as handy as Demolitions Vets, but they're cheaper, and still quite good. You can also buy an advisor, of course. If they're in a mech list they neither need nor want most of the other upgrades too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tend to play a more static gunline. I can't tell you how frustrated my opponents are when FRFSRF or BID are used. The ability to dish out lasgun pain is fun. "How many shots at (insert character or squad)?!?!?!"

As the PCS is a mandatory unit when using a platoon structure, they double as a special weapon squad. Just remember they are only BS3, and plan accordingly. As for the CCS, I like using Vox/3 Sniper Rifles. Yes, they are situational, but that argument can be said of many of our weapons. The reason I like the snipers is to take advantage of the Vets in CCS's. Granted it's not a squad of 5-10 ratlings, but if you want to take them you can. Standards are nice to look at, but they aren't very practical. Many times, I want to loose Combat. Played right, you can lure your opponent into a deadly crossfire, therefore sacrificing one squad is often benificial as IG outnumber most armies.

·
I Expect the Inquisition
1,422 Posts
Since I play Mech, my CCS is essentially a suicide special weapons squad. They aren't a scoring unit, so they are just an expendable vet squad with -5 bodies and +1 special weapon (to me, that is).

PCS are a lot like CCS, HOWEVER, they score and are -1 BS. Flamers it is!

At some point I'm going to experiment with a Hybrid list and see who would be better for orders, a PCS to act as backup scoring or a CCS with more orders available. The problem is, the Commissar Lord then steps up and shouts at me "HEY, LET ME LEAD THE BLOB!" Maybe then I'll actually treat my HQ as an HQ. It could happen...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts