Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Blessed Inquisitorial lords and ladies,

I am losing count of the number of home brewed chapter that contain "Then the evil inquisition unfairly persecutes them and they have no choice but to defy the scoundrels and become independant of the Imperium'. Well, not in those words, but it seems like the Inquisition is the scape goat of newbie fluff creators.

Are they right? Sure, it can happen, not saying it can't. But do you imagine the Inquistion mistakenly or maliciously tortures loyal space marine forces on this level of frequency? I myself, cannot find any evidence that this happens regularly or routinely. Maybe in real life Inquisitions were that messed up, but in our glorious Imperium? May it never be!

Well, it makes for a good 'Robin Hood defying the evil Sheriff' kind of fluff for sure, but does anyone else cringe when this keeps popping up so regularly? The Inquisition -Loves- the Imperium! We do not harass or torture the innocent! At least not on purpose! Any Inquisitor who does so is false, and does not truly represent the Imperium. Those who use any such traitors as an excuse to defy the Holy God Emperor -become traitors themselves-!

(It is of course possible that these players know more fluff than I do. Which is why I am asking you, my witch hunting, daemon hunting, and xeno hunting comrades, are we really so irrational?)

Emperor bless and cherish you!
Frankie

·
438 Posts
I'd say it happens frequently that the persecuted thinks they've done no wrong. That's why Chaos is so insidious you see. Remember how Fulgrim fell? Little by little, never thinking he was losing it. So just because the accused say they're innocent, doesn't make it so.

On the other hand, Inquisitors can indeed be very over-zealous. Anyone remember this little quote? "A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty!"

The Inquisition in general is extremely paranoid (for good reason) and is more then willing to kill anyone or destroy anything that they believe is tainted by Chaos. Sacrifices must be made to insure the safety of humanity as a whole.

So uhhh, yeah I think it does happen a lot that space marines get scrutinized (they have been frequently proven corruptable and extremely dangerous). They're already prone to falling out of the life of self-sacrifice to get a little something for themselves by going renegade (it's the entire reason they operate in small chapters to begin with!), so the extra scrutiny could certainly send a few more over the edge. Or reveal some that were teetering over it already.

If a bunch of marines are going to forsake all thier sacred vows of honor and service because of the =][=, then I'd say they've already fallen anyway :p

·
3,395 Posts
The Inquisition -Loves- the Imperium! We do not harass or torture the innocent! At least not on purpose!
Despise the weak for they flock to the call of the Daemon and the Renegade. Pity them not and scorn their cries of innocence - it is better than one hundred innocents fall before the wrath of the Emperor than one kneels before the Daemon.
-First Book of Indroctrinations, Ordo Malleus.

·
Adeptus Laziness
614 Posts
I'd have to say, yes, yes the majority, except for a few cases, of renegade and traitorous chapters have been driven out of the Imperium by the Inquisition, unless if they already snuck out before the Inquisition showed up. After all, it's the Inquisition's job to make sure that everyone is working accordingly to the ways dictated by the Emperor (albeit not personally, and there may have been some misquotes along the way).

However, to get the Inquisition's attention those chapters must be doing something wrong. They have to have a reason. It's highly unlikely that an Inquisitor would have the free time to interrogate every single person that strikes their fancy, so thusly, either the chapter is innocent, and the fluffwriter is simply lazy, or the chapter is innocent but something happened with described reasons that would warrant the Inquisition to show up.

But the key thing is there has to be a reason.

Once the Inquisitor comes along with an overwhelming force of inducted Guardsmen and Sisters of Battle, ready to toast some heretics, that would certainly cause any surviving traitors to flee the Imperium, but if the writer doesn't explain why said Inquisition decided to do so, then you might as well discount it as silly traitorous propaganda, trying to hide the fact that their geneseed has been corrupted or that they're collaborating with xenos and/or daemons.

·
3,395 Posts
"Then the evil inquisition unfairly persecutes them and they have no choice but to defy the scoundrels and become independant of the Imperium'
Broadly speaking of course the inquisition doesn't have the power to unfairly persecute the space marine chapters, at least not openly - they've been trying to deal with flagrant misbehaviour from chapters such as the Dark Angels and Space Wolves with little success.

Technically the chapters are autonomous entities that owe their allegiance directly to the Emperor himself (as does the inquisition)
The Black Templars are an interesting case since on the one hand they disregard many of the restrictions of the Codex Astartes and the edicts of the inquisition, but on the other hand they are essentially crusading to prove their loyalty to terra following Rogal Dorn's initial refusal to place restrictions upon individual chapter strength.

In any event 'independant of the Imperium' is outright heresy, far worse in the eyes of the inquisition and other chapters than mutated geneseed or disregard of conventions.

A good example of a genuinely loyal (and naive) chapter would be the Celestial Lions - after they helped crush a renegade uprising on an imperial world an inquisitor rolled up and obliterated the (loyal) planet from orbit, just to be sure.
The lions were rather vocal about all this, demanding investigation into the evil inquisition and so on. Their entire chapter was promptly dispatched to fight against the orks where they suffered from terribly misleading intelligence reports and relentlessly accurate sniper fire that basically wiped them out of existance.

Something of a rambling post I know.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Goes to show that the Inquisition doesn't like challenges to its authority... like we suspected anything else. It would be great, fluff-wise to see them come into an internal situation where they can't manhandle it so decisively/devisively or in such a Machavelian manner.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everyone who posted! I was wrong to question the conduct of the Inquisition, I repent!

Have a good Sunday and a great week y'all!
Frankie

·
Registered
140 Posts
Broadly speaking of course the inquisition doesn't have the power to unfairly persecute the space marine chapters, at least not openly - they've been trying to deal with flagrant misbehaviour from chapters such as the Dark Angels and Space Wolves with little success.
Yeah... In 886.M41 after 3 weeks of battle over Fenris they decided that wasting 3 orders of the sororitae wasn't the best choice to get a planet full of genetically mutated space vikings to worship the right god.

[...] and they have no choice but to defy the scoundrels and become independant of the Imperium'.
Seceders? PURIFY THEM!

On everything else: I agree with the rest, just because they tell people they're innocent, doesn't mean they are. Everyone can just say they are innocent, or even believe it, but that's why the quote Xardian posted is totally fine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm a fan of the Inqusition in all its darker deeds and i must say:

Even if one proves his innocence that doesnt mean the space marine or what have you will not be tortured (or worse) because unlike what our common sense tells us (We do not harass or torture the innocent) in their minds your" innocence proves nothing"!

I guess to say if your suspected of a crime but you didnt do it this time it doesnt mean you didnt do something else before... guilty by reason of capability.

Also note that if an Inq. charges an person of higher authority than himself or one of higher reputation for good- he had better have the best possible evidence to back him up or else he may find his head on a pole by sun down.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Considering the history of Horus Heresy and the independent, self-sufficient nature of Adeptus Astartes the Inquisition has every reason to treat them with heavy hand at slightest misbehavior. Just think about it: Whats the worst thing that can happen if a warmaster with few Imperial Guard regiments turns heretical? Sure, he can take over one world and start to worship demons but thats nothing a good old Exterminatus can't solve. At worst you lose one world.

Whats the worst that can happen if an Adeptus Astartes chapter starts to go wrong? Man, you don't want to even think about the wrost possible scenario...

The only problem is that the very idependence and self-sufficience that makes Adeptus Astartes so good at defending the Imperium of Man, also make them potentially the worst enemy of Mankind... and probably the most difficult traget for Inquisition to persecute when need be.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The Imperium is full of forces who beleive only their way of doing things is right, and if they aren't powerful enough to make sure no one stops them then it ends badly.
The Inquisition is a good example of an organisation who try and force their will on others, when they can't even keep their own members in line, some of whom beleive chaos can be used against itself and is only a form of power, used for whatever ends the weilder wishes.
Many independant organisations also have beleived this, and many it could be argued where right, with generations using such a concept without any ill-effect.

So when you get the over-zealous Inquisitors trying to make a name for themselves starting a fight with anyone they meet its not exactly suprising they are constantly seen as the bad guys by so many, afterall if your a SM chapter and someone tells you your chaplain or whatever is a psyker and needs to die, your probably going to fill him with boltgun rounds.
In a way one could argue that the over-zealous Inquisitors are just another form of chaos corruption taking the idea of purity to extremes (chaotic extremes) and in doing so aren't representing the emperor at all.

I won't argue the whole "we are independant because a Inq bullied us" isn't a terribly overused fluff basis, but alot of players like to be a bit independant and since SM/IG generally attracts the least imaginative players its to be expected that their fluff is terrible and insulting to anyone who likes the english language or the canon fluff from the 40k universe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts