Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah, long time no see. Again I've struggled to make the viable lore, and here's the preview of what I came up with. As for the rest, I shall leave it to the loremasters to see if the way I set things up are acceptable without extensive explanation...

Living in the Eastern Fringe, even far from Ultramarines, the noble house of Saint-Cross accrued its' power by taking advantages from their location. When the Imperium and the Tau Empire agreed to cease fire from Tyranid threats, House Saint-Cross saw its' chance to 'bulk up' in means of paramilitary strength. By tricking the grey-skinned aliens through lies and well-played acting, the House Saint-Cross managed to call in Tau Ethereal and Water Caste into peaceful talk to "turn the planet's control over". By setting up this meeting, House Saint-Cross offered the Imperium a chance to capture the fabled Ethereal. Although the Tau have foreseen the possibilities from human treachery, the Water Caste envoy was all captured and sent to the custody of Ordo Xenos. From this event, the Inquisition endowed House Saint-Cross with rewards, and the House used its' influences to grow its' own militia recruited from the gangs, and eventually, House Saint-Cross managed to reproduce Cadian equipments and vehicles from the Forge World in their system in name of 'Self-Sufficient Defense Acts to relieve Adeptus Astartes from needlessly spending their valuable time'. The Acts consisted such; 1. The House Saint-Cross is endowed with the authority and privilege to reproduce Cadian equipments and vehicles until the Eastern Fringe is deemed secure; 2. The House Saint-Cross may no longer request help from Adeptus Astartes other than the Ultramarines and their successor chapters; 3. The House Saint-Cross must be responsible for the maintenance, the repair, and the manpower of the equipments and vehicles.

As the House grew stronger following the authorization of the Acts, it is said that the Lady Saint-Cross dreamed of a baby grasping a purple star, the most beautiful star on their system's night sky, in her sleep. And little did Lord and Lady Saint-Cross knew that they would have a last son who would become a member of infamous Ordo Malleus.

Born as the last in order of the heirs to House Saint-Cross, Samiel grew up in relatively quiet environment in contrary to his older brothers and sisters did, his birth being called miraculous at the Lady Saint-Cross' age. Even though Samiel was a trueblood of the House Saint-Cross, his untimely birth hindered his chances on to the true seat of power. Not very satisfied at this result, Samiel decided to become an Inquisitor Lord, the being he saw to be most powerful, to serve the Emperor; with an unrealized ulterior motive to crush his brothers and sisters.

Be it the blessing of the Emperor or yet another plan of the Lord of Change, Samiel became an Inquisitor after only a decade of his apprenticeship; his mentor having been killed by a Lord of Change, and yet it was banished by unskilled Samiel. Few years later, Samiel heard of a daemon-worshiping cult growing within his home planet, and quick he was in his pursuit of the Emperor's Justice. His brothers and sisters mysteriously involved within the cult movement, they too, were summarily executed by the assassin employed by Samiel. From his fast action and initiative and decisiveness to kill his own family members to serve the Emperor, he was promoted to Inquisitor Lord; and of course, he succeeded as the Lord of the House Saint-Cross, and all its' powers and wealth. Because of the Self-Sufficient Defense Acts of decades ago, Samiel became less dependent on the Ordo Malleus' chamber millitants. The Inquisition saw it as a benefit, as the Grey Knights could be sent to more vital incursions rather than far away planets on the Eastern Fringe, where it would take more lengthy and possibly more dangerous warp travels to get to.

And yet another trouble was brewing in his home planet. This time, the incursion was not as small as the ones occured before, and the cultists have successfully opened a warp rift. As Samiel struggled to locate the rift, he heard of Inquisitor Quixos and the effectiveness of Daemonhosts. Then, by the strands of Fate, Samiel located the warp rift where it spewed a Greater Daemon of Tzeench, Azorael. Azorael didn't seem prepared when he was forced into a fight with Samiel, and thus, Azorael was easily suppressed. Next to now-shut rift lied corpses of the cultists and a tome containing knowledge to create a Daemonhost. Ordering only the closest and the most trustworthy of his retinue, Samiel began to create Daemonhost containing Azorael. As the creation of daemonhost made progress, the area became thick with purple cloud, blocking the sight and muting what is going on inside. As the sun rose, the clouds dissipated, and Samiel and his retinue walked triumphantly, with rather androgynous looking child covered in robe following them quietly...

That is all I could come up with to 'legalize' my idea of playing Inquisitor Lord and Imperial Guard detachment that is 'Chaos'. I think there are nonsensical parts to the loremasters, and if you could give me pointers and suggestions to fix it up, it will be appreciated.

Thank you!

ps. I didn't intend my army's lore to be read by generic crowd, so if it happens to contain inappropriate or potentially inappropriate contents for the Forum's rules, please notify me and I will rectify it as soon as possible.

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
The only things I can see 'wrong' are the self defence acts and the general recruitment process.

The self defence acts aren't necessary.. every planet has a duty to raise an armed planetery defence force funded by the governor(s). Space Marines are incredibly rare in galactic terms, and depending on them solely for defence would be the height of foolishness. The one limit of a PDF is that it won't have its own warp-capable starships and thus will not be able to travel between star systems without the aid of another imperial organization (like an Inquisitor). The quality of PDF forces varies depending on available resources and governor whim, but many will be the equal of Cadians in terms of equipment if not training.

Secondly, noone decides to become an Inquisitor, and certainly not an Inquisitor lord.. If they're really, really good an existing Inquisitor might offer them a position as an acolyte, but they have to be very lucky and proove themselves in some amazing way.

Also, I don't think an acolyte can ever be promoted in the event of their master's death. That kind of defies the whole point.. Acolytes are expected to put themselves in harms way to keep their master alive, including outright self-saccrifice if required. An acolyte who failed in this, even if they subsequently did something rather cool, strikes me as having failed the recruitment process. Regardless, it means they'd have to have been recruited by another Inquisitor, who will not have any understanding of their abilities or personality - and given how much power Inquisitors wield that seems deeply unlikely.

Also.. being promoted to Inquisitor lord simply for killing your family is a bit.. meh.. it's not exactly above and beyond the duties expected of an Inquisitor. Also remember that being an Inquisitor lord grants no formal power above and beyond that already granted by being an Inquisitor, it's merely a recognition that you've repeatedly proven yourself above and beyond the already extremely high standards expected by the Inquisition and are politically well stood with your peers.. Again, it's not handed out like a medal or promotion, you get nominated by an existing Inquisitor lord (who is expected to know you well enough to be able to stake his/her reputation on you) and approved by two others. This means Inquisitor Lords don't nominate random people they slightly admire, but close friends and protegees they know they can trust to support them and their interests and to handle any responsibility.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ah, well, that's what I get for not reviewing lore correctly. I did try to make the Inquisitor Lord's birth heavily influenced by Tzeentch though.
So I'll work on the Inquisitor Lord's history later on or just scratch it away.

So there's not much issues to be said about how the Inquisitor Lord's attempt to make a daemonhost have failed, and turned him towards Chaos? Otherwise, I might have to start over for the whole lore. Although the daemon Azorael is referred as a daemonhost project result, he will be represented as a familliar rather than a daemonhost once I start to model and make army list, and there will be a seperate unit of Daemonhosts in the finalized list.

Following questions are in summary to cut me babbling.

1. MOST IMPORTANTLY, will it ever be possible for a single Daemon to recieve favors from more than one God, just as Abaddon the Despoiler have?
2. Is it possible for an Inquisitor Lord to 'appoint' a regimental commander as his puppet, or would that be simply out of ordinary and least likely to happen?
3. How long can the Inquisitor Lord remain as 'radical' without recieving a subpoena? I want to make it in a way that the Inquisition has doubts about Samiel's sanity, but he's making progress regularly.
4. A question related to Q1, how much 'gifts' of the Chaos Gods can an unaugumented human body (or simply put, non-space marine body) recieve and keep the original form?
5. In event that all things that I were thinking goes wrong, is it possible to use Warhammer 40,000 rules and use an Imperial Guards army list with a Chaos Space Marines army list, or would that require me to grab Apocalypse rulebook and use rules from there?

That is all I could think of for now, thank you!

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Hey, if I didn't mention anything it's probably because I think it's okay.. I always sound unrelentingly negative when I post on fluff, but that's not the intention. The point is that I like the general idea, and just think a few things are iffy. A daemonhost betraying and subverting its master is absolutely fine.

On your questions.

1. Daemons don't recieve favours in the way mortals do, they just are. A greater daemon of Tzeentch is pretty much a part of Tzeentch itself, so it doesn't get gifts from the other Gods. Remember, daemons live in a world where there is no matter or physical substance, so things like gifts have no meaning to them.
2. An Inquisitor can raise private armed forces and appoint whomever he wants to lead them. He can also overule most executive decisions in most other branches of the Imperium so he could, for example, choose to appoint one guard commander to a high position. The big deal is how much it exposes him, as Inquisitors are often out to get one another. If he appoints someone who turns out to be a bad apple, other Inquisitors might see that as reflecting on his character.
3. There is no such thing as a subpoena in the Inquisition. An Inquisitor can do whatever he wants so long as he holds that position, period. If others find it objectionable, they may well try to kill him and if its really objectionable they might try and call a group of Inquisitors to hold a trial, but they'd have to capture him first and its generally considered bad form to waste Imperial forces on internal squabbles. The Puritans don't have any legal right to police the Inquisition, they're just more numerous and thus opposing them openly is likely to get you a knife in the back.
4. Never stated as far as I'm aware. I'd imagine if you're talking about a daemonhost it depends on the power of the daemon, how long the possession lasts and how much the daemon focuses on controlling its appearance. Daemons are not good at possessing physical bodies which don't follow the same mutable physics they're used to, sooner or later they'll start to slip up.
5. In the standard game.. there's now no tournament legal way for chaos space marines to ally with imperial guard. You can sort of do it with the Lost and the Damned from the Eye of Terror supplement, but even there it comes out very difficult to play (you're better off with mutants than traitor guardsmen) and is no longer legal in tournaments or other types of competative play.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts