Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys.....

I wanted too ask something for a friend of mine, he wants too make an army themed on science I know it sounds weird but here it out, he wants too create a human faction that split off from imperium a long time ago and these were free thinkers scientist who didnt believe in gods and powers of man everything too them was scientific, explainable, explorable and dissect able.

they focused all their culture on research and the pursuit of science (So far a lot like adeptus mechanicus) but here is the twist they are not your average human faction they dont have morals they dont care for ethics they dont have gods and demonds prayers are worthless too them is all just science they just research, if they capture you then you become research material, they augment their bodies, they capture daemon and test then they upgrade their minds with AI, they are not afraid of the warp effects because if someone is corrupted they upload their memories into computers...for them this is part of life basically and army of mad scientist

thats the short description he has given...

he says he wants it too be focused on advance science not the crude looking adeptus mechanicus items but advance EXPERIMENTAL technology...i.e shields, AI, bio engineering , cloning, teleporting etc..

so what he wants too know is what codex best recreates the sort of army feel...

this is really for conversion purposes only he sorts wants too see what army would be most easily recreated in this theme they have too be a human faction or close too it...

I suggested witch hunters cause they look the part (inquisitors the scientific leaders and everyone else is a servant or test subject) i was also thinking lost and the damned but i forgot they are useless now....some one also suggested TAU because ethereals would make amazing scientist (the whole army fallows them) and tau are very varied with good ability for model conversion (like and external tau suit made for human pilots like the penintance machine witch hunters use.

any other suggestions?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Tau are the only army which will have the high-tech science-fictiony weapons which you want. Eldar weapons are also sleek and futuristic but they are very unique and you'll have to explain why your Hunters are using Eldar weapons. I think your friend should focus on either bio-engineering or advanced weaponry because going for both will be tough. I can't see the equivalent of Tau fire warriors fighting alongside the equivalent of Obliterators and Ogryn.

Its a really cool idea and I hope he pursues it. Good luck.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
- It's an idea that's been heavily explored in fanfiction (and actual Black Library novels, such as the Horus Heresy series) so it's totally fine if you want to run with it. Humanity spread out all over the galaxy during the Dark Age, and the Imperium is still finding their descendents on new worlds. There's actually a cult detailed in the Dark Heresy sourcebooks called the Logicians that is explicitly this concept, albeit formed inside the Mechanicus and not outside the Imperium.
- Despite this, I feel I should mention that a lot of people pursue this kind of idea because they feel that the Imperium is technologically primitive. This isn't actually the case; the Imperium is superstitious, not primitive. They're actually incredibly advanced, especially in the field of bionics and genetic engineering - I mean, they perfected a process that develops super-soldiers who spit acid and can absorb your memories by eating your internal organs. The only race that can exceed that are the Tyranids. They don't advance very quickly, but technologically they're still miles ahead of even some very ambitious science fiction settings.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Exactly, I mean their equipment generally doesn't look the part anymore, but they're quite advanced. Teleportation? Check (Terminators and Grey Knights mostly) Bio-engineering? Check. (Space Marines, eugenics, probably others). Shields? Check. (From infantry to spaceships) Cloning? Probable Check. The only thing they don't do is AI, for very good reasons - namely, the last time someone did it resulted in the near-destruction of humanity. Well, they also don't mess with daemons, because it typically results in hilariously bad things happening. (They have a bad habit of poking sleeping Necrons though)

That said, the faction that'd probably best represent them... it's a toss up between Tau, Guard, and Inquisition - each one has units that can fit in with a 'mad scientist' feel.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
Cloning? Probable Check.
Cloning is used in the Imperium, although it's strictly limited to cloning "shells", i.e. bodies with nothing in ther heads except a brainstem. They're used for organ transplants and to mass-produce servitors, which don't really need the brains anyway. Cloning sentients is forbidden on pain of extreme and prolonged pain followed by sweet, merciful death. Probably because sentient cloning has a tendency to go horribly wrong and create hideous monsters with near-human intelligence...

·
God's nutcase
1,906 Posts
It may be a bit of a stretch, but possibly Chaos, with the powers etc not coming from the gods but from the technology. As the guy is basically doing a "counts as" army they can be modelled as anything. I'd personally go with the Tau though,as their stats measure up to the "high-tech, low contact" feel that is one of the big tropes for such societies in general. That and I think Crisis Suits would be the easiest way to represent such Butlerian stuff rather than dæmonic gifts. Although if you did go with Chaos you could have actual dæmons used like expendable animals on the field, or living experiments...

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
There used to be rules for the Afriel Strain, who were cloned 'super-soldiers' created by a shadowy imperial consortium using the genetic material of Imperial heroes like Macharius. The thing is, no matter how much the process is refined the Afriels come out wrong, both physically and in combat effectiveness. They're always albinos, and they always suffer strange incidents of bad luck and improbable losses, reflected in game by everyone they fought having 'preferred enemy' against them. Completely unexplained, but functions as a kind of supernatural curse..

So yeah, cloning empty shells good, but cloning super soldiers tends to go wrong, at least in canonical terms..

Also, as others have mentioned, the Imperium isn't really low tech, they just stopped advancing, largely because there is no need.. Mankind already reached its technological apex with the Dark Age of Tecnnology. If a pan-galactic super-empire with AI and limitless technological expertise couldn't research it, it probably isn't worth building. Hence why the AM generally prioritise restoring and preserving the knowledge of that era over discovering new stuff (even then, they do sometimes)..

What you're looking at is not really a high tech society so much as a society where tech is commonly reproduced and in general usage, rather than hoarded by arcane priests, which is perfectly feasable.

As for army stats.. I would use the Inquisition armies. They have human statlines but higher-than-imperial-baseline tech, and you can throw in allied guard as the expendable grunts and experimental things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.