Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Always Fabulous
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I am well aware of the various viewpoints on these boards concerning cheese and whether or not it is a term that should be used by Warhammer players, so let's get one thing out of the way right off the bat. I do believe that cheese is a term used (most of the time) by people who cannot find a way to overcome a certain opponent or obstacle on their own skill. On the other hand, I do acknowledge that in a "friendly" game environment, using an army that is highly powerful or extremely competitive (such as armies that are normally considered cheese) can kill the fun factor for both parties. Therefore, my aim is to do the following:

- Take the normally competitive Mechanised Tau army and "tone it down" so that it is an army that is fluffy and/or enjoyable to play against, yet still remains true to its central themes and retains some of its competitive power.

Because we all like to win, right?

Having only recently started Tau, I don't fully understand the more subtle nuances of their tactics and units so I am looking for help and suggestions on creating a "fun-oriented" (the definition of fun being implicit in the statement above) Mechanised Tau army, a Mech Tau Lite if you will.

People of LO, I need your help. Can this be done or is Mech Tau too competitive a style to be truly toned down without turning it into something totally different? Any ideas?

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
ALRIGHT! I can finally help and be heard over others! (I hope :D)

Anyways, how much of the army do you want to stay Mech? If you were to start throwing in Non-Mech elements could work.

But I think the Easiest way would be to simply include things others don't because it's less effective.

Check out this Thread on Flamers, I think it could be great fun to use the BlowTorch/Helios combo they got in there.

Course, what to take depends on what your using as a base to tone down, I say make a competative list, show us and we can let you know how to tone it down better to suit you.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
You have to see it from a liability point of view. Our massive weakness is in CC. There are two defenses against this. One is to emphasize mobility; that's Mech Tau. The other is unit redundancy and crossfire; Static Tau. You are free to do something in between but you still must have a strategy to defend against CC.

If by "toning down Mech" you mean bringing more static units then you have to be a very clever tactician, knowing where to deploy, what to protect and what to sacrifice.

I'll close by mentioning that being cheesy with Tau is nearly impossible. The only such armylist I've heard of is bringing 3 Hammerheads in 750 points.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Shas'el - twinlinked plasma rifle, missile pod, hardwired multitracker

2 Crisis - twinlinked missile pod, target lock
6 Stealths

12 Fire Warriors in Devilfish - decoys, multi, array
12 Fire Warriors - shas'ui, drone controller, 2 gun drones
10 Kroot
10 Kroot

6 Pathfinders in Devilfish - decoys, multi, array
8 Gun drones

Hammerhead - railgun, smart missiles, decoys, multi, lock
Hammerhead - ioncannon, burst cannons, decoys, multi, lock

There you go.

If anyone complains about the troops, tell them all you'd do to increase them is drop the drones (10 of them) for another fish.

In the new codex, you'll want a pirana with a fusion blaster and array. I'll need to see the new codex before I see what you'd change, but I'd probably twinlink the pods on the commander and lose an elite crisis.

·
Shrubs for the Blood God
1,144 Posts
From your post am I to take it that you consider Mech Tau itself cheezy?

Mech Tau itself really isn't that cheezy in any respect. The only truely cheezy thing you can do in Tau is take 3 Railheads in games less than 1500 pts. Build a list you like and be damned what others think, Tau have to many exploitable weaknesses that a decent player can take advantage of to ever be really cheezy.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I wish I could take more than 3 railheads bonzi.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yeah, me too! :w00t:

Inadvertant funny aside, I agree with you Bonzi. Making cheese requires more than just fielding a mech list.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
loosestrife said:
Yeah, me too! :w00t:

Inadvertant funny aside, I agree with you Bonzi. Making cheese requires more than just fielding a mech list.
What I've found is that some people will call a mech list cheese anyway, even if you guys don't think it is. It's not what you think, it's what niterabbit's opponents think.

·
Always Fabulous
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In this case, onlainari is correct. I don't consider Mech Tau itself to be a cheesy list, just one that is very powerful when used correctly and more (IMO) suited for a competitive environment rather than a friendly one. If I'm just looking to play a few games then winning would most likely not be the first thing on my mind (unless I'd just been through a losing streak) and if my opponent wasn't having fun then I'd probably throw the game to get them to cheer up. Or something to that effect.

@onlainari: I like that list and will probably run it, though I don't think I'll ever be able to fully get rid of my liking for Stealth Suits so I'll probably end up running more than 6 anyway...heh... ^_^

·
Registered
235 Posts
the only reason people call mech tau cheesy is becausein the hands of a good player their one of the best armies out there, and mech plays to all of the tau's strengths, the tau are designed to be mobile, its actually unfluffy not to play mech

·
Registered
648 Posts
Tau cheezy? I've never heard of anything cheezy about tau other than the fact that firewarrior rifles are S5. (it seems odd though....if you play the firewarrior PC game the pulse rifle is pure crap while the bolter is like a longrange shotgun on steroids)

Its not like mech tau don't have weaknesses....their numbers are extremly low, they still suck in close combat and have problems if the opponent is even faster than them.(tyranids...a flying hive tyrant is nothing to laugh at)

toning down the list depends on what opponents you face...if they lose because of the number of suits soaks up a lot of hits...just take some out and add some more firewarriors.
If they lose to firing from the suits just tell them to get something with an even longer range and AP4 (or was it AP3 needed for stealth ones...I haven't played tau in a while) than those burst cannons.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ok my two cents.

HQ's should probably be Shas'El w/ Shas'O stepping in at 2000 pts. Ethereals should be saved for larger games as they don't often take to the feild of battle.

XV8's can use any weapons/systems combos as each sept teaches different battlesuit tactics. These troops are often bonded, having fought and bled together for years.

XV15's should probably be few (3-9) in size as these troops are used for reconniscence missions. Small units will dog an enemy for days waiting for the perfect time for the Hunter Cadres to strike. These troops are often bonded.

FIREWARRIORS should be in fish w/ Shas'ui w/ a markerlight and photons. The Tau empire sends it's troops into battle fully prepared to deal w/ any situations. These troops can be bonded but often are not.

PATHFINDERS are a tricky unit, but a good Mech cadre finds them invaluable. More often than not these units are small by nature (4-6), thier job being to sneek and spy.

GUN DRONES are a very common sight in Mech cadres so take a squad or two.

BROADSIDES aren't seen much in the manta deployed Cadres, but are often bonded.

HAMMERHEADS are an excellent tank that see much use across the Empire. Taking 2 below 2000 pts. is about right

KROOT are often taken to track down enemy positions so give them a couple hounds to look the part.

Just approach your list w/ a thoughtful, "reallistic" mind and you won't be accused of cutting the cheese.:x

Phase Out....

·
Always Fabulous
1,742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent ideas all round. This is great people; keep them coming and I'll post an experimental Mech Tau Lite list tomorrow or something after I've had some time to think about it. In the meantime, got lots of painting to do!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts