Librarium Online Forums banner

Which is the most unappealing army in 40k?

• Chaos Daemons

Votes: 21 11.8%
  • Chaos Space Marines

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Dark Eldar

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Eldar

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Grey Knights

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Imperial Guard

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • Necrons

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • Orks

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Sisters of Battle

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • Space Marines

Votes: 10 5.6%
  • Tau Empire

Votes: 19 10.7%
  • Tyranids

Votes: 19 10.7%
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Orks. I find them to be too cartoonish for a dark Gothic-esque fantasy story.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Space Marines. Or, to be more precise, Ultramarines.

Without meaning to offend anyone, those that play Ultramarines miss out on what, for me at least, is one of the best things about Warhammer - creating an army that is yours. Playing Ultramarines is the equivalent of wearing a T-Shirt that says "I have no imagination." You're spoon fed everything about them, from their history to the colours of their uniforms, you lose out on the awesomeness of coming up with your own story line.

What's worst is an Ultramarines army with that muppet with two powerfists. Special Characters in general annoy me because of the reason above, but when you add this guy to an ultramarines army you might as well have just copied the army you use in the starter game. When it's done, that player has literally just seen the first thing you're always presented with in 40k and gone, "Yep, I'll have that, he looks cool." Instead, you could create your entire own chapter, with its own name, colour scheme, history and traits.

Unfortunately Games Workshop are doing their utmost to get rid of independent thought. Gone are the codexes in which you can make your own chapter with its own rules from a list, or your own Imperial Guard Regiment with it's own doctrines. Sad times.

Rant over.

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts

Without meaning to offend anyone, those that play Ultramarines miss out on what, for me at least, is one of the best things about Warhammer - creating an army that is yours. Playing Ultramarines is the equivalent of wearing a T-Shirt that says "I have no imagination." You're spoon fed everything about them, from their history to the colours of their uniforms, you lose out on the awesomeness of coming up with your own story line.

What's worst is an Ultramarines army with that muppet with two powerfists. Special Characters in general annoy me because of the reason above, but when you add this guy to an ultramarines army you might as well have just copied the army you use in the starter game. When it's done, that player has literally just seen the first thing you're always presented with in 40k and gone, "Yep, I'll have that, he looks cool." Instead, you could create your entire own chapter, with its own name, colour scheme, history and traits.

Unfortunately Games Workshop are doing their utmost to get rid of independent thought. Gone are the codexes in which you can make your own chapter with its own rules from a list, or your own Imperial Guard Regiment with it's own doctrines. Sad times.

Rant over.
Just to delve: does this apply to all studio-created factions? Such as Snakebites, Ulthwe, Jormungandre, Sautekh, Death Guard, and so forth? Or is it restricted to only Ultramarines?

Not really pushing back right now, just curious about your reasoning.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts

Rant over.
Literally all of that reasoning goes to any of the founding 18 chapters though (except for Special Characters in an Iron Hands force, which still don't exist). Seems like more of just hating Ultramarines for the sake of hating them. Nothing necessarily wrong with that; I hate Blood Angels for the sake of them being Blood Angels.

·
1,249 Posts
I don't know, I can understand where he's coming from, it seemed like for a while ultra marines were all over the place, promotion wise. And they seem to be the never do anything wrong space marines and the super generic space marines.

As to my most hated army, ironically it is a form of my eldar, aliatoc to be precise. Or however it is spelled. If you never played against their disruption tables back during codex craftworld eldar, consider yourself lucky. I fielded them once. Some good disruption rolls later most of my foes synapse creatures are in reserve and he quits and refused to play against it ever again. Never even made it to turn 1.

·
Registered
85 Posts
for me its necrons.
I like the fluff, the models. but...something doesn't "do it" for me with them.
I'd probably paint characters or odd models. but an army of them. just not appealing.

as for Ultramarines...I've never seen anybody play Ultramarines ever. I'd be tempted to do them just because they are the single rarest chapter in 40k

·
867 Posts
Wow there is a lot of dislike for the Sisters! As of today they are the clear leader on the Poll.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
To be fair, Sisters have never had a huge amount of love from Games Workshop. Their model range has pretty much stayed the same or shrunk over the last decade or so. That, the one pose models, the ever present threat of being 'squatted', no new models and the expense of them puts people off (including me). The actual Sisters models are AWESOME and the new Saint Celestine is a very nice model. But the old metals are currently putting me off.

I think if Sisters ever got a re-do they'd be done by a LOT of veteran players and newbies alike.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts