Librarium Online Forums banner

Do you like the new Razorback model?

• I don't really know.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's OK, better than the last one.

• It's alright, but I preferred the old one.

• Hell yeah!

• No, the old one was much better.

• Not at all, but the old one was awful as well.

• It's absolutely appaling!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, what do you guys think of the new Razorback model?

Please do comment if you answer the poll.

I think that this new one is a good model, and I would happily pay money for it. However, I prefer the old style. This is strange because I prefer the new style of Rhino. But then I'm a Razorback fan (tank that is), so it matters more to me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i reckon the new ones pretty cool,
not "hell yeah" cool,
but it looks alot better then the old one in my opinion (those guns would make an awsome watch tower weapon base type thing)

and with a bit of effort i'll be able to make it into a rhino and keep the heavybolter for my dread! : D

·
Lord of the Household
1,733 Posts
I think it sucks BIGTIME! I love the new rhino chassis and I was looking forward to the new razorback but it looks like a cheap 'let's just get it over with' solution.

I mean they just slapped a land raider HB on top of a rhino! I definately prefer the old one! But because I like the Rhino chassis I might experiment with an old turret and new chassis conversion.

-Rob

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This one is more technically realistic. If you think about it, the guy using the gun on the old one would have had his feet stuck right where all the transported marines needed to bail out of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
NOO!

You are missing the point of the new models, There trying to theme the models to the same sort of thing. Th razorback is after all a rhino with to big guns on top! I think Games Workshop has done a good job representing this. The only thing i dont lie about it is the armour, what's it going to do on top, except protect it from aircraft

[/quote]Die Hard my boys! Die Hard! - Colonel Inglis of the 57th regiment of foot at the battle of Albuera.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I like this one much better, I think it's so much more realistic looking. The old turret was pretty big, and throwing in a turret basket for the gunner would have taken up a lot of room in the same spot that the transported marines were supposed to be in. Also, power armor or no, if you're designing an armored vehicle it should not have its armored integrity compromised by a gunner's hatch having to be open to allow the gun to be used.

I think this new gun mount reinforces the idea that this is a transport with a little bit of firepower, not a tank. Also, the weapon mount and the weapons themselves are very similar to the Land Raider, which makes sense from a logistics point of view. After all, the if the Land Raiders and the Razorbacks use the same weapon mount, then the maintenance personell only have to carry spares for one type of gun mount, not two. For a light, mobile force like the Space Marines, keeping such logistics simple can be critical. Besides, I like the idea that someone realized the Rhino need some teeth, and instead of designing an all new weapons mount just looked at the Land Raider and said "eh, why not?" It just makes more sense.

·
Registered
290 Posts

After all, the if the Land Raiders and the Razorbacks use the same weapon mount, then the maintenance personell only have to carry spares for one type of gun mount, not two.
It also means that GW doesn't have to scuplt/model anything new, just make a new sprue layout with existing molds...

I like the new one. i mean, look at real weapons of war. These days everything is remotly controlled so the idea of a guy loungeing about in the cabin of the rhino with a targeting screen and a fire-control joystick appeals to me. Much more comforting for the gunner to be inside then out exposed with distractions like bullets zooming by his head to deal with.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It also means that GW doesn't have to scuplt/model anything new, just make a new sprue layout with existing molds...

I like the new one. i mean, look at real weapons of war. These days everything is remotly controlled so the idea of a guy loungeing about in the cabin of the rhino with a targeting screen and a fire-control joystick appeals to me. Much more comforting for the gunner to be inside then out exposed with distractions like bullets zooming by his head to deal with.
It also means the foreworlds wouldn't have to make new parts. Funny how that all works out...

It is definitely more modern looking. Exposed gunners pretty much ended around WWII.

·
Registered
751 Posts
The new razor is much better, like all of the tanks based on the rhino chassi.
But one thing bothers me, why are they riveted. It look more late WW1 or early WW2 with rivets. It's great on IG, because most of the tanks and models are based on that timeline, but not on the more future look of the SM.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The new razor is much better, like all of the tanks based on the rhino chassi.
But one thing bothers me, why are they riveted. It look more late WW1 or early WW2 with rivets. It's great on IG, because most of the tanks and models are based on that timeline, but not on the more future look of the SM.
I'm sure this has nothing to do with it, but I believe riveting at least used to be more durable than welding (not necessarilly stronger/stiffer, but more able to bend and flex to absorb impact). Back in WWII one of the manufacturers of Liberty Ships (cargo ships) went to electric welding instead of riveting and the ships started breaking in the cold, rough Atlantic. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if that has changed in the last 50+ years, much less the next 40,000...
I think it is a bit of an effort to get a bigger, bulkier look for the Space Marine stuff. Also, try looking at a Predator and then look at a Russian T-80 or T-90 (especially the T-90). They look much more similar (at least the turrets) than the Predator and most modern Western tanks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
there aren't THAT many rivets are there? Certianly not enough to be practical to hold anything.

One must draw the line between fantasy and reality at somepoint. I say pick and choose what you think is done intensionally and what you think was done to look purty.

I for one think the rivets are just visual fluff on the model.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Oh, I'm sure they were done just to look pretty. That's why I said that the rivet vs. welded thing probably had nothing to do with it. I think it's just part of the new Space Marine look. I just figured I'd throw that out there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In the 2 ww the american and britsh armored forces discovered to their extreme discomfort that having rivets in a tank could mean that non penetrating hits on the armor made the rivets come loose and somtimes flying arond in the interier of the tank. It is not a great design and not somthing that the emperors finest would use in their tanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.