Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey!

With the release of the new CSM codex i decided to expand my undevided chaos force. My army color is Mechrite Red and my problem is/was how to paint the different cult troops. They had to come with some of their original color sheme but had to fit in my already existing army. I already painted a TS, a NM and a plague marine squad. The TS fit good i suppose, the NM too but they have nothing in common with their original theme. The plague marines don't fit... So, i decided to post some pics here to get some ideas.

Enough of that, here are some pics of the undevided chaos force:

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/Skipper_026/Bild094.jpg

Images a maximum of 700 pixels wide please. - KU

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And here are the new cult troops

First, my main problem: plague marines

The NMs fit good, but lack of the original theme:

The TS, i think they have both: fit good and have the original theme:

So, any ideas how to change the plague marines for achieving both, original theme and fitting to the undevided sheme?

·
running
1,274 Posts
I find Marine models of any sort really lend themselves to adding accent colors - you've actually done exactly what I'm going to suggest on your Thousand Sons. Paint most of the model in it's original scheme (green for the Plague Marines, whatever color for the Noise Marines, etc.). Then pick something like gloves, shin plates, shoulder pads, backpack vents, bolter plates, or whatever, and paint that in your army color.

For example, look at the plasma gun Plague Marine. The outline of his belt buckle, shoulder pad outlines, and the details on his shin plates have all been painted a yellow-ish color - why not paint them red? Or, put some red on the shin plates themselves (and leave the detail alone), and maybe the elbow pads.

Another way to tie an army together is with a coherent base scheme. You can use less red to join the army together if they're all standing on the same base.

Overall though, the models look great already.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just by painting some of the details on your PM red, like piping and icons, you could tie them better to the rest of your army..

As for the TS, they blend in really well with the rest of your force.. Original:ballon:

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
I think one of your problems with the Nurgloids is that they are not painted but drybrushed. That in it self gives a completely different feeling. So, my first advice would be to get them into koherency with the rest of the army ie paint them.

As for how to make them look like they belong to the Red Legion, you could paint their shoulderpads and lowerlegs red or you could carve of half the PlaugeMarine's armour and replace it with red meat.

Maybe they'd even look good in red helmets and rebreathers? This might require some balancing though, like kneepads or lower legs painted in the same red.

Aother than that I'm not really sure yet. It's a nice little army you've got cooking there though, so keep up the good work and come back with more pics:)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just expanding on what xbanditsx said: I find a common basing among all the models of the army real help bring about a coherent look to them ,which is what i believe you are trying to achieve. Especially in this army, the coherency will not come from the paint job, but the base, so have a go and base them. Not only will it make the models look better (which look great already) but it will 'bring them together.'

L.

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
I like the painting you have done to all the Chaotic soldiers... ;? Very nice, strong colors and crisp and clear!

The modelling is awesome... the mix and match in there is excellent! The one thing I don't like though and looks a little odd is in the third picture the hooded Standard Bearer... his head is little small in comparison to his body...

Apart from that.. ;Y

·
space pope
175 Posts
I love your 1k Sons! Really nice work all round, but those marines look brilliant!

As has been said before, if you pick out the Nurgle Marines' trim in red (you seem to have done it in yellow/brown) they'll gel nicely with the rest of the army!

I can't wait to see more :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
I love the guy with the flaming head! Is that a bit or did you sculpt it?

As for tying the Plague Marines in with your force, I ran into that same problem. I ended up painting one shoulder pad to match my full force. It actually ended up looking pretty good. Another thing that will really tie them together is the basing on the models.

Here are a few pics of the plague marines that I did as well as one of the regular troops from my army so you can check it out -
Regular Chaos Space Marines
Plague Marine with Plasma Gun
Prototype Plague Marine - He has a different color of trim on his shoulder pad that I later ended up not going with.

Hope this helps and let me know what you think of them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Excellent, so many answers :)

First, thanks for all the nice comments, really good motivation to keep on the work!

I'll try the ideas of painting the shoulder lines with Mechrite Red, this and the same basing will work, i suppose. Maybe i paint the bolters the same way.

@Tsele
Yes, both standard bearer heads are a bit too small. The on on the left is from WHF (Chaos) and the right one is a wood elve head, i think. But i wanted many different heads in my army..

@The Toon
I have 2 Rhinos, a Predator, a Landraider and a defiler. The Rhinos are almost finished, Pred and LR need some work. The defiler is painted in the old red gore/boltgun metall sheme and will get an update in the future. Here some pics of the vehicles:

@bobsacks
this guy with the flaming head is one of the new flaggelant modells, nice bits 8Y
and thanks for the pics, i think i got the idea!

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
@Tesele
Yes, both standard bearer heads are a bit too small. The on on the left is from WHF (Chaos) and the right one is a wood elve head, i think. But i wanted many different heads in my army..
I love the freehand drawing to the flags on the vehicles and especially on the Rhino...

Oh and... it is Tsele! ;Y

·
LO Zealot
1,744 Posts
A red Chaotic tide on the table...

I saw and I liked... maybe I will note down a detail or two to duplicate them... :?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Looking good so far, especially liking the Thousand Sons painjobs, the two tone scheme really adds character to them.

I like the terminators aswell, the highlighting has been very well done.;Y

The Nurgle marines could use some work, i dont really like drybrushed nurgle models, ive always thought they should look slimy and wet, which is basically achieved by painting the green as you normally would and then varnishing. :happy:

EDIT: i completely forgot the second page, the Rhino is brilliant, i love the evenness(?) of the painjob on the tanks and the army in its entirety is very impressive.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You done done a super great job with your army. ;Y The TS really look great with the blue and red theme. Really ties in good. Wish I had the patience that you have along with the steady hand. Gave ya rep. Nice job.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey, i'm liking the Red Legion :)

I noticed one of your TS's was reloading his boltgun? got any tips as to how to go about making an arm holding the ammo clip? i figured the main part is clipped from the gun itself, but to make it 'longer' than it is, and to appear 'in the hand' how did you go about making the 'top' part of the clip?

if any of that stuff makes sense? :s lol

Shaabhekh :happy:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.