Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of using SOB Repressors from Forge World as a transport option in my army. I really don't have any idea if they'll be effective, but the heavy flamer and fire slits sound like they'll come in quite handy. So are they worth it?

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
Points-wise as far as being "competitive" as an army list selection? In my opionion they do not pull their weight at all and I think most people would agree.

For just having awesome units in your army and a uniquely SoB look? They are great models.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was mostly going for just a cool and unusual tank but I was hoping it could hurt stuff. I'd most likely run it behind my other Rhinos so it would survive longer, and then set things on fire with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is an available stat-line in IA 2 and as far as I know it is approved. Lots of people at my store use FW stuff and considering what a Repressor actually is (a Rhino with a scary name) no one would mind me using it anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Personally, I love the repressors. For 20 points more than a Rhino, you get a Dozer Blade, 3 fire slits either side (making 6 total), a Heavy Flamer, a Storm Bolter, and you can have a Sister with a Heavy (if the tank doesn't move) or a Special weapon fire from a hatch at the rear of the tank!!

Compare that to the Rhino, at XXpts you get a Storm Bolter...

So thats 3 points more than you would have to pay to have all that on a Rhino (Thats if you were allowed to) and then you get Firing slits to cover for those points any. Sounds good to me. Albeit, they'd probably be more useful in numbers during Apozalypse games. And of course, they do look pretty cool!

·
Cthulhu's Lovechild
1,746 Posts
It's trying to turn a Rhino into a light weapons platform. I don't think it does it particularly well.
I know 20pts extra isn't much but that's 20 more points lost when it blows up on the same rolls that would kill a Rhino.

·
Registered
962 Posts
It should be called "The Bunker", because its upgrades are defensive.

The significance of the slits is allowing the 24" shot with the girls still mounted (which effectively turns off enemy bolters/stormbolters shooting at them). When is this good? If you're holding an objective, and you want to delay the taking of casualties.
(I would say this feature serves ISTs even better.)

The heavy flamer doesn't shoot if it moves over 6" (as far as I know) so that makes it harder to carry the fight to the enemy, and therefore serves defense better.

Shooting one Special Weapon from the hatch isn't as good as the Rhino, which now fires two.

I'd be happy to have one or two Repressors in missions with multiple objectives. In other cases, it wouldn't make much difference to me, mostly because the Immo moves 12" and still shoots its flamer, which is big.

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
It should be called "The Bunker", because its upgrades are defensive.

The significance of the slits is allowing the 24" shot with the girls still mounted (which effectively turns off enemy bolters/stormbolters shooting at them). When is this good? If you're holding an objective, and you want to delay the taking of casualties.
(I would say this feature serves ISTs even better.)

The heavy flamer doesn't shoot if it moves over 6" (as far as I know) so that makes it harder to carry the fight to the enemy, and therefore serves defense better.

Shooting one Special Weapon from the hatch isn't as good as the Rhino, which now fires two.

I'd be happy to have one or two Repressors in missions with multiple objectives. In other cases, it wouldn't make much difference to me, mostly because the Immo moves 12" and still shoots its flamer, which is big.
Good analyses! I was wondering what this thing could do on the battlefield (i once considered getting a sob army, before deciding against it due to price).

It's a great model and really fits into the image i have of SOB

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it could have some interesting tactical uses. The main problem with APCs is that as long as a squad is mounted in one, they aren't doing anything productive besides advancing. An advantage that something like a Repressor can provide is that while the vehicle is advancing, the squad inside can fire out. Therefore, it can inflict casualties on an enemy squad during the advance and hopefully whittle it down enough that the squad's job will be slightly easier once it dismounts.

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
I think it could have some interesting tactical uses. The main problem with APCs is that as long as a squad is mounted in one, they aren't doing anything productive besides advancing. An advantage that something like a Repressor can provide is that while the vehicle is advancing, the squad inside can fire out. Therefore, it can inflict casualties on an enemy squad during the advance and hopefully whittle it down enough that the squad's job will be slightly easier once it dismounts.
While that can work, the problem is that due to the relatively short range of its and the squad's weapons, the opportunity to use its capabilities is somewhat limited while advancing.

I think that it would probably be best used like a (mobile) objective-holding bunker for your Sisters, as Red Zinfandel pointed out.

Oddly enough, only SM Rhino's get two hatch fire points while Inquisitorial Rhino's get only one. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the DH and WH codices are still stuck with old rules. Yet another reason why GW should update them.

·
Cthulhu's Lovechild
1,746 Posts
Oddly enough, only SM Rhino's get two hatch fire points while Inquisitorial Rhino's get only one. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the DH and WH codices are still stuck with old rules. Yet another reason why GW should update them.
I'm pretty sure the main rulebook mentions 1 firepoint can accomodate 2 models shooting from it.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Go ahead and shoot with two girls from the hatch.
It's widely accepted that two models may shoot from the firepoint on a WH Rhino, and also that the "Repair" rule is in effect.
Why?
The weapons are identically named, to the exact letter. The Rhino entry in the WH & SM codex are both plainly titled, "Rhino". They don't state, "Space Marine Rhino", or "Rhino Mark IV", or "Ford Bronco", or "Girly Tank". If the names were at all different, then there would be compelling reason to accept the differences. A central rule to 40K is WYSIWYG rule which relies upon identical appearance and functionality for identically named weapons. Pricing and upgrades, however, are a different matter.

I don't consider it an abuse of grammar or presumptuous interpretation to use latest stats for identically named weapons. 40K is a game which maintains ongoing player/ market interest with new releases. You have to accept that the game "inflates" over time to keep interest.

I believe you will find this practice (identical function for identical name) to be in force at the majority of tournaments.

Even if you reject the compelling logic that "Identical Weapon = Identical Function", you can back the compelling logic with the following:

The WH codex does not define how many models may shoot from the fire point.
The main rule set acknowledges that it could be more than one:
"A fire point... from which one or more passengers from inside the vehicle may fire". -64
The only place that the number of models who may shoot is defined is in the SM codex Rhino entry.

But I wouldn't go that far.
Just ask around how many GK players don't use Rending on their Assault Cannons.

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
I already do that, among other things; it would impractical to do otherwise when I have units from different codices running around the table, and sometimes using each others' vehicles.
I just thought of pointing it out because:

Unfortunately, there are some stingy players (and at least one tourney person) who don't want to accept that. Hopefully we never have to run into them, but it doesn't change the fact that they still exist.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt. I used to be a DH player, which has similar issues regarding this after the new SM book(s) came out. The 'official' (when the official boards were up, and also several times thru the rulzboys) answer we DH got was that anything named the same used the new SM rules. Things like Rhinos, Land Raiders, Bionics, etc all used the new SM version.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt. I used to be a DH player, which has similar issues regarding this after the new SM book(s) came out. The 'official' (when the official boards were up, and also several times thru the rulzboys) answer we DH got was that anything named the same used the new SM rules. Things like Rhinos, Land Raiders, Bionics, etc all used the new SM version.
Does this mean they cost the same points-wise? Because when a new marine codex comes out they'll probably be 15 points cheaper, and that would suck if we had to pay so much more for the same thing. I mean Chaos already gets them cheap.

·
The Biker Marine
1,618 Posts
Weapons, Gear and transports are prices based on not only what they are, but also on WHO gets them. Even within the WH Dex, Storm Botlers or Metla Guns are priced differently, based on who takes them. You cannot use Codex from another army for you own list. Sorry...

Although you are right - it blows that we are"overpaying" for Rhinos, while the WS4 T4 S4 Marines get them cheaper! As if they needed protection while walking - LOL :ballon:

·
Suffer not the Unclean
2,251 Posts
Unless of course you're attending an 'official' GW event where the tourney FAQs all say you must use RAW stats from your own Codex =)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.