Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does the LO community think of a battle wagon with 4 bigshoota and filled to the brim with shoota boyz + 2 big shootas...

Should be a hell of a lot of shots... but is it viable. Has anyone tried something like this out?

·
Registered
119 Posts
It's a decent idea if it never moves which, if you're doing that, you may as well throw a big gun on it too. Frankly, I think using a battlewagon like this is missing the point of the vehicles purpose. I see it as a troop transport with some decent firepower rather than a weapons platform with transport capacity.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Da Moovable Fortress uv Doomwaagh!

I haven't done this yet, and in theory it's decent. But there are a few things to consider:

1) Movement options:
..a) It can remain stationary and fire all weapons, and da Boyz inside can fire as well.
..b) It can move up to 6" (7") and fire one big shoota, and da Boyz inside can still fire.
..c) It can move up to 12" (13") and not fire at all, but da Boyz can disembark and still fire.
2) If it suffers a crew stunned result, da Boyz inside cannot fire that turn. (Possible if they disembark? I've played very little in the past few months, and so the rules are not very fresh in my memory.)
3) Other unit options:
..a) Grots are a super cheap way to make the unit scoring. Weld on an 'Ard Case and stick it by some cover if possible.
..b) Since Shoota Boyz have rather limited range, and you'll have to decide between moving and shooting, try some Loota Boyz instead.
..c) Or, if you're sure you want Shoota Boyz, attach only two big shootas (one to fire on the move, and one to absorb a weapon destroyed result), and don't bother with a big gun (or one big gun and one big shoota)
4) Keep a Big Mek close by for the ever so sexy 5+ cover save.

For 3.b) I suggest a set up of something along the lines of:
10x Loota Boyz + 2 - 3x Mekboyz w/ Big Shootas
The Meks will still be able to fire if you do have to move the unit, or if they're forced to diesmbark. This way you're not losing a full round of shooting (only 90% of it.), and have a reliable output of shots (in case you roll the dreaded '1' for your Deffguns)

Cheers :beer:

·
Formerly Prince of Excess
3,560 Posts
I'd just stick with the basic Deff Rolla Wagon with Shoota Boyz in it. It can move around, still shoot and a Deff Rolla will kill more models than 4 Big Shootas.

Not terrible but I'm not a fan personally.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
It figures that for my 2500th post I'd start by agreeing with what the Prince of Excess has already said. It's all I seem to do these days. ^_^

I'd also like to add that if you're trying to maximize the shooting, I'd give the battlewagon both a big shoota and a kannon. The kannon, when firing frag instead of krak, counts as a defensive weapon, so you can fire it along with the big shoota and all the boyz inside, as long as you don't move over 6in a turn.

If you want something faster, than warbuggies work well. They can move 12in and fire their guns.

If you want pure firepower, than lootas are the way to go, but I don't bother with big shootas. If you need to move a lot, then something's wrong. Although I could see with dawn of war setup that it could possibly be useful, so use your own judgement. It's just not my style.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Confused for a bit then realised UR bloodaxe?

Not a classic Ork move, usually the boyz just use transports to race across and into combat.
Badmoonz with Big-guns could stick them on an objective with some Grots - I liked that idea. But your proposal is far more Blood axe esp with a big mek & KFF.
I don't see a problem with it moving at 6" or less.

If your going this way (mobile weapons platform) why not killcannon, kannon, 4 bigshoota, 10 Lootas, Mek with big shoota & Bigmek with KFF. Static thats 1x24" large template, 1x36" blast, 15x 36" bigshoota shots and d3 x10 48" Loota shots.
or even field it with Flash gitz and a painboy, range is not as good but more certain of shot number.

·
609 Posts
I've seen 8-12 lootas in a battle waggon with shoota's do pretty well. Just as long as you keep it pivoted so the 14 is facing the enemies tanks it's pretty good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do remember that the battlewagon cant fire other weapons if it shoots with the killkannon.
Also flash gits offer very bad fire power for the points invested.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
I've ranted on about flash gitz in other places, but all in all, I think they're an interesting and frequently useful unit. They're just not practical.

What makes them frequently useful is Kaptin Badrukk. He has the most reliable AP 2 shooting in the entire Ork army, especially considering the fact that he comes with free ammo runts, in addition to the ammo runts the Flash Gitz can take with the unit. That's a lot of firepower. Yes, they're not cheap, but they're an interesting alternative to nobz.

That said, they're not practical for three important reasons:

1. They just don't have the aim or number of shots to outperform regular shoota boyz, point for point.

2. They don't have many of the normal nob options, including powerklaws, waaaugh banners, bosspoles and such.

3. They can't take a dedicated transport.

The last reason is the big one. They don't really work on foot, so you need to give up two heavy slots in order to use them.

However, I feel they can still be useful and fluffy, especially in apocalypse games, where there's no force org chart, and you have a lot of points to spare.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts