Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just perusing the new codex and I noticed a special rule listed in the chapter that shows the point costs for all units. It mentions a "The Scuttling Swarm" rule which says that you can take a Tervigon as a troops choice for each termigaunt brood you have.

Now imagine you used your two HQ choices for Tervigons, took 3 termigaunt broods and used the remaining 3 troops choices for 3 Tervigons. Now you'd have 5 Tervigons, all pumping out 3d6 termagaunts per turn. That means that if you happened to be (really) lucky on one turn and get triple 6s from all Tervigons, there's another 90 units added to the board.

Granted, probably not the most effective strategy in the world, but it could be quite hilarious to try out.

·
249 Posts
yep, people have definitely already picked up on this. i even read of someone having tried it out.

and they got tabled.

its sounds like it'd be powerful, but its just far too focussed. i'm getting the impression this codex will punish you the most for not bringing a selection of different units, each covering the arse of the other.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Max 2 Tervigons in my opinion...as troop choices. You still need a unit with good numbers that has some punch. I think my Tervigon list will still have 2 units of genestealers in it, or a unit of stealers and a unit of warriors. My HQ will always be a Hive Tyrant :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
It says in the codex about spawning termigaunts if you at any time roll doubles with the 3d6, the tervigon runs out of termigaunts. I think this is to limit/stop there being 90 termigaunts spawned every turn.

·
Registered
97 Posts
he was just assuming you were really lucky. regardless i think you would better have some room in that list for other stuff because that army is gonna footslog its way to the enemy.

·
Scourge Lord
1,638 Posts
To further elaborate on Yeahbuddy's point:
90 Termagants is not going to happen pretty much...ever. 3D6 will give you a result between 9 and 12 most of the time (3D6 probabilities). So five Tervigons can be expected to give you somewhere between 45 and 60 Termagants in one turn.

Also, 96 of the possible 216 results of rolling a 3D6 contain doubles. That's 44% as opposed to the 17% chance of rolling doubles with 2D6. So roughly half the time, your Tervigon is going to make only one brood of Termagants. If you factor that in, you're looking at 5 Tervigons making roughly 88 to 127 Termagants over the course of 5 turns. And that's only if they all survived that many turns.

Now if you were going to just take that many Termagants for the points of 5 Tervigons, you'd still be paying about 5 pts/model. So using them is about twice as efficient as buying both gaunts and other MCs separately from the army list.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.