Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my slaanesh army up to 1500 points and I was thinking about ways to apply the warp amp. Rhinos have been mentioned a lot but no one seems to use them in the army list.

I know you can't assualt out of rhinos and I was thinking of ways to counteract this. Then it hit me that if you took a slaanesh rhino with a warp amp and blasphemous runes up to enemy lines and unloaded a squad of EC with a blastmaster you can have a very good chance of pinning them until next turn when you actually do assualt. Of course the downside would be that if you fail to pin the closest squad, you get assualted instead...
The solution would be to mechanize most of your army like this so that you ensure that the majority of your squads will be successful.
Has anyone done this before? I would like your feedback.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
If you are basing an an army around a mechanized tactic with squads popping out of rhinos then you really want 2 of your squads shooting at 1 of the enemies units at a time to maximize killing potential. Also if your playing EC then Andy has a point there as your aspiring champion will be free if you take sacred number, and that way your only paying for a power weapon really. That alone will give you killing power vs possible enemy units.

Also if your afraid of being assaulted then your playing the wrong type of army. A Rhino based EC army can be quite mobile and you can have lots of assault weapons. So potential you could move the first turn and dismount/shoot. Move, shoot, and assault on turn 2. Mobility is your friend, why not maximize it?

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
I use Rhinos all the time in my Emperor's Children armies. I usually use assault squads in them too, and I will either disembark them on the far side of the rhino so they are hidden behind it (easy to do with a low sacred number) or disembark near a fairly weak enemy unit or vehicle and unload on them with bolt pistols, doom sirens and meltaguns. I mostly use them for the mobility, however. I can't stand marching 6" at a time across the table. It's a huge advantage, especially when there's lots of terrain to exploit. My armies tend to be small, but have lots of bikes, daemonic flight, rhinos and inflitrate. Being able to out manuever your opponent is a huge advantage and not to be underestimated (just ask any Tau or Eldar player).

I actually use Rhinos for assault squads and inflitrate for shooting squads. The shooting squads give your opponent something to deal with while your rhinos advance and for summoning daemonettes. Also, I think it's better (even with sonic blasters) for shooting squads to stay put and get as many shots off as possible.

·
Spiky
768 Posts
Here is my solution :

Turn 1
Move 12" and pop smoke

Turn 2
Disembark and move freely, and then move the rhino to tank shock incoming threat or to block line of sight.

If you do it right, you should be able to assault on second turn (6" move + 6" assault + 12" previous rhino movements) = 24" + 2" exiting the rhino (? the last part is to be validated). If your opponent has chosen to deploy inside his 12" deployment zone, then I don't know what else to say.

·
Spiky
768 Posts
TwoHats said:
You could alternatively not disembark.. 2 Marines can fire out of a Rhino, regardless of how far it moves, even if it pops smoke in the same turn. Unleash the Blastmasters. :D

You might also wanna check out my topic on Daemon Weapons of Slaanesh, it pertains heavily to use of the Warp Amp:

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/t58584-chaos-tactical-doctrine-vol-one.html

Yeah, But chaos is ultimatly made for close combat, why would someone want to stay in a rhino anyway ? Troops in rhinos are best used to assault as Havocs are best used to shoot. That's my opinion. And what is the point of embarking 8 CSM in a rhino if you only want 2 of them to fire ?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Well, I doubt you'd be putting 8 into a Slaneesh Rhino.

Incidently though, if you want to 'stay in your home' don't always neglect the standard armaments in favour of noise marine ones.

2 melta guns or two flamers can shoot out of a Rhino as well and do a decent job. They won't pin its true, but they could break a unit with the help of Warp Amp.

·
Registered
359 Posts
MindRaked said:
Yeah, But chaos is ultimatly made for close combat, why would someone want to stay in a rhino anyway ? Troops in rhinos are best used to assault as Havocs are best used to shoot. That's my opinion. And what is the point of embarking 8 CSM in a rhino if you only want 2 of them to fire ?
I agree. Take this into consideration too. Anti tank seems to be prety heavy in armies now, especially Imperial Guard (I know, krak missiles are my friend, seeins as how I always field about five squads of pure missile launchers in an IG army). That, added with the fact that even a good plasma shot can take out a tank and leave you sloggin on foot, or even worse, kill off a squad. and considering the range of anti tank weapons, you are somewhat better off trecking. Now, Using Land Raiders to send into there a few squads of EC, now you are talking buisness. All that armor and firepower, along with pinning, you could just sit back and watch your enemies drop like flies.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The warp amp/blasphemous rune tactic is devastating in theory, but most armies that you'll face in tournaments these days are going to be fearless (or nearly fearless), whether it be the mob up rule for orks, or grey knights/chaos marines with marks/ or armies with plenty of leadership re-rolls like guard and tau, IMO you're just wasting A LOT of points on a tactic that'll work for you maybe 25% of the time, and otherwise just be a waste

·
Registered
609 Posts
I'd recommend switching from rhinos to bikes. They are the 4th edition versions of the 3rd ed. rhinos. Have 6 with free AC and move 24" the first turn for a 3+ invulnerable save.Then you don't have to worry about being assaulted (usually) but will definitely get an assault second turn. Furious assault + Warp Scream = dead characters :)

·
KITTENS GIVE MORBO GAS!
3,922 Posts
I've been able to have great success with my Space Wolves and their rhinos.
It really relies on 2 things, numbers and cover.
I have no less than 4 rhinos filled to the brim with nasty assault troops. Always in at least pairs. Its pretty much the same as was mentioned earlier with the "move 12 inches" pop smoke idea. The idea is to give yourself that "obscured target" option as often as possible, use the terrain, and make it yourself.

deploy behind cover to avoid being shot at and blown up 1st turn, at worst, behind a predator in an obscured way, observe obvious lines of sight, and block it with a tough thing (like pred front armor) your first move, move pred 6 inches to open up an avenue and drive forward 12 inches, keeping one rhino ahead of the other, and angle it so the front one at least partially obscures as much as the trailing rhino as possible, pop front rhino's smoke.

Usually up against a good oponent, It requires at least 2 turns of driving to catch them(especially tau) so repeat above only let the trailing rhino take the lead and pop smoke(extra armor is CRUCIAL)

on a turn where you think you are close enough to your oponent to assault, spin around(pivoting does not count as moving at all, disembark before your rhino moves, )for your 2 inches, move 6 and then CHARGE! Hedge your bet and move your rhinos in flanking positions just in case you are out of range to minimize shooting from everything but what you intend to charge.

with 4 rhinos doing this there are enough armored targets to give your oponent a headache with the thought of dealing with 40 assault troops coming at them. Same tactic should work with chaos, since extra armor and smoke are available.

Immagine adding bikers to the mix as mentioned just above, and ooof, your oponent should have a very tough time blowing the rhinos up in time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts