Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after buying a renegade strike force box set about a year ago, as well as already having an old chaos marine battleforce, I decided to finally build the army that has been sitting here taunting me for years. It will be a Steel Brethren army, and hopefully will look like the image below.

The army will be over 2,500 points, and will look something like this when completed:

HQ:

-Winged Nurgle Daemon Prince
-Winged Khorne Dameon Prince

Elites:

-Chaos Dreadnought
-Chaos Dreadnought
-Terminator Squad

Troops:

-3x Plague Marine Squad
-3x Khorne Berzerkers Squad
-6x Rhinos

Heavy Support:

-2x Defilers
-Obliterator Cult

I have everything in this list except for the two daemon princes, 3 of the rhinos, and one of the defilers.

I didn't want to pay for the really expensive plague marines that GW sells, so I decided to convert normal marines. The first thing I attempted for this was to turn the chainsword into a plague knife. To do this I just used sprue clippers and trimmed it down, then cut away at it with a hobby knife until it was jagged to my liking.

From this...

To this...

I did this to most of the marines except for obviously the ones who are holding just bolters.

Also, I went ahead and trimmed away the bolt pistols and replaced them with bolters, to give the plague marines that strong, can carry a bolter in one hand look.

More will be coming soon!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Very nice! I like the swords and the bolters in one hande.

However, even if they are very strong, they look like they have a balancing problem when the bigger guns (plasma and such) are carried in one hand. At least when they are pointing. It's not so much to the strength of the marine but more to the fact that they would have to lean back. It seems a little off. Maybe if they pointed more upwards to keep the center of gravity at the hips.

Good pictures. I look forward to more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
looking good so far.. i'm a fantasy player but once i had a CSM army aswell.. wich i gave away.. but nevertheless.. like the one before me said.. the balancing of an entire boltgun with one hand seems a little odd... and if they're nurgle you should defenetly mess up their armour with holes scratches and deseased abcesses and stuf like you did on the knifes .. try some greenstuf.. there are great tutorials around on how to create nurgle-ish armour... good luck.. i'm realy curious about the painting on these guys..

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both very much. I am already hard at work using Greystuff to nurgle-up the armor. I realize what you are two saying about the balance, and I will most likely add some nurgle rot to the arms at the base of the gun to make it seem like the diseased tendons are holding it on or something.

Pictures of the nurgle rot are coming soon, as well as my berzerkers that I have begun painting!

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, so first off is the paint scheme. For the troops, I'm going to go easy on the detail. Just a basecoat of Army painter silver primer, followed by two badab black washes. Then either a mechrite red/ blood red mix for the berzerkers, or some green combo not yet figured out for the plague marines. Oh, and a black left shoulder pad.

with basing, something like this:

I'm still working on the swamp basing...

But now for the nurgle rot on the marines. I used regular Greystuff from GF9, and also some little coffee straws that I am going to make into the trademark nurgle smokestacks.

Oh and here is one of the aspiring champs I am working on:

Tell me what you guys think!

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So a quick update here. I painted up six berzerkers to see how the simple paint job would look in groups. I am very happy with how it turned out, even though I still have to repaint the gravel basing and clean up the eyes. Comments!

·
Egg Head Miniatures:fbook
1,900 Posts
Looking really great for a table top army. ;-) Good colours working well. My only observations are these.....

1. The green colour on the base doesn't work. I'd go for a ready brown base highlighted (dry brush is very quick) with a paler version for a speedy result.

2. You have said you aren't going to go mad on detail but I think picking a few bits out in brass on teh Bezerkers will work a treat.

Hope that helps.

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Justice
Yeah I am definitely redoing the bases, as the green was something quick that I ended up not liking. As far as brass highlights, I was planning on making the gun bodies of my plague marines brass, and I really don't want to recycle colors. I might do some details in some other color, depending on how I like the look of my troops when I have all 45 of them done.

Moving on to today's update. I got really excited by the prospect of having a defiler in my army when I read how effective they are in the posts here on LO. Then, I had a good laugh when I realized that the Renegade Strike Force that I purchased off ebay for only $150 came with one of these sweet little beasties.

So here is my defiler. You will notice that I cut off the downward pointing horns, and replaced them with some aspiring champion ones. I really like the upward, intimidating look a lot more. Enjoy!

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay so a quick update here. I have been working hard to convert and assemble a large portion of my army. Sometime tomorrow I will post up a group shot of everything I have done. I'm also almost done with a plague marine scheme I think I like a lot.

But for now just a single pic of my new basing scheme. It's two shades of vomit-ish green/brown, followed by a highlight of bleached bone, with the ring done in Calthan Brown foundation.

·
has a ca-fading facade
518 Posts
Got a good thread going on-must have missed this one. Really like the nurgle rot that you did- looks like you have some pretty sweet modelling skills. I would put in one criticism, though- I think the metal on the berserkers is way too bright and flat. I understand using that colour as a highlight, but I think you should mix it 50/50 with chaos black as a basecoat first. I know you don't want to spend a lot of time on your minis, but trust me, for the difference it would make, it's really worth it. I just can't imagine bloodthirsty berserkers running around the battlefield with such shiny, polished armour. Darkening it and highlighting the edges would, in my mind, improve the overall effect ten times. Putting in a detail or two here and there in different colours really gives the model depth, too (like maybe the chains or the khornate symbols). Just my opinion, though. Keep up the good work.

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Jack
I don't quite think the pictures do the models justice, as they were shot in pretty much direct sunlight. The metal is a little darker than it appears, and I think the overall scheme is dark enough already, but thank you very much for the input.

Moving on, I have a massive update today. Included is a full army shot, my first plague marine, and my custom dreadnought, among other things. So without further ado...

The full army as of now, which is something like 12 berzerkers, 20ish plague marines, 3 rhinos, one defiler, and the dreadnought:

My Plague Marine scheme, which I am very happy with. The boltgun was done in just a solid layer of Vallejo Game Color's Plague Brown (pretty much a dark yellow). The rot was done with a base coat of GW Goblin Green, followed by a wash of Devlan Mud, and then a drybrush of a 4:1 mix of Bleached Bone to Goblin Green.

Back:

Next is my custom dread, built from a mix of old plastic mechwarrior models (namely the legs), the head from the defiler kit, the havoc launcher off a rhino, as well as some chaos/ normal marine dread bitz.

Unprimed:

Primed, with some paint, which I am not satisfied with:

Moving on, here are 3 of my terminators. The first is my champion, which I just think looks awesome:

The next is one that I converted using a power sword:

And this one is a similar conversion with the bayonet bit off of the reaper autocannon:

Finally, is Momo, the elephant of inspiration. He is atop the sacred bottlecap, where he guides me in my assembling and painting:

Enjoy!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Very decent. Maybe the first steel brethren I have ever seen to be honest. From this angle the terminator conversions look a tiny bit too...big ? The sword it like massive. Thumbs up on the green on the plague marine, but I assume you plan to add a little more ink or wash or something to the silver. It looks just a little... empty... coz its nurgle...and it feels like there shudnt be any clean soldier in his armies.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Aye i'm with Lorgar (not really heretic scum). Add some Brown/Green/Yellow washes or inks to the Silver to make them look a bit more sickly and rotten. At the moment they're a bit to clean. Other than that tho good work. I like the Dread, I thought it was a Daemon Prince at first.

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I definitely though about adding a wash to dirty up the models, but since they are Steel Brethren, a very advanced tech-savvy legion, I kind of wanted it to look as if they maintained much of their control over their possession or whatever you want to call it. In other words, I want it to seem as if they have not been completely corrupted and demented by Nurgle.

About the power weapons, I did shoot the sword angled into the camera, so it may seem large. Not sure about the the bayonet, might just be large :). Thanks to both of you!

·
Shoop Da WAAAGH!
237 Posts
hey, im liking what i see here! a quick but effective colour scheme with very pleasing results! Read your last comment and had abit of a rage. Although the steel brethren are very advanced tech-heavy warband (they are not a legion because they were not one of the original traitor legions from the heresy), the plague marines would still have filthy armour due to the fact that it is not possible to worship nurgle to the extent that plague marines do without looking disgusting. How you have painted this plague marine makes him seem more like the squad would just have a icon of nurgle, and only worship him a little.

The other reason you should dirty the armour abit more is because the growths look vvveeeerrrryyyy out of place on the nice clean armour.

I suppose one thing you could to is to layer washs of ogryn flesh and thraka green around the areas with the growths to show the foul fluids seeping from them.

I like what you have done with the knives but they seem too chunky for my liking. I would of used the knives you get on the actual CSM sprue, cut off the handles and also cut the chainswords down to the top of the hand and stuck them together.

Spladge P

·
Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!!
913 Posts
Read your last comment and had abit of a rage... the plague marines would still have filthy armour due to the fact that it is not possible to worship nurgle to the extent that plague marines do without looking disgusting.
Not possible? How do you know that? Last time I checked, it is a completely fictional universe that the fluff exists in, and the only thing that is real are the models that we spend lots of time and money on to make look like we want. Why the rage?

His army is looking very nice, regardless of the over-all goo level that is on some of his models. This army is going to look great on the table!

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@Aero, thank you very much good sir.

Moving on, here is my first update in a while. First up, are two more of my obliterators, to bring my total up to 3.

I still need to add some muscley greystuff effects on their joints to make them more transformation-capable.

And now, is my crown gem, my second dreadnought. This guy was built using the normal chaos dread torso, power supply, and claw fist. Then, I slapped a custom flamer on him, one of the havoc launchers to count as a missile launcher, which I shielded with a defiler bit, and some legs that I once again took from some old Mechwarrior models.

He is reallllllly top heavy, as everything but the legs pretty much are metal. To support him, I think I'm going to balance him on a flying peg.

Pre-primer:

Post-primer:

Questions, comments, and criticisms are always welcome!

·
Ancient Spacefarer
1,715 Posts
Looking great! I love you heavily converted Dreads particularly :).

I've done the same thing myself, the Dreadnought legs I mean, as I always hated the standard stunty look to them as there's no way to create dynamic poses like running, bracing or attacking up close an personal. I used some spare legs from the Defiler kit, cut them down a little as they were too chunky, and put them into a running pose it makes them look taller and more deadly that way. Perfect for a chaos army don't you agree?
You've done a marvelous job by using the lower legs from an old Mechwarrior model, why didn't I think of that? ;)

As for the Army Painter, I've just discovered the stuff myself since January and am eagerly awaiting some decent weather to use it. I've got mixed feedback from all over the interwebs and would like to ask some questions of the results of using Army Painter: Platemail:

1. Does it do good coverage?

2. What shade does it do? by 'shade' I mean the GW equivalent such as, Chainmail, Mithril Siver or even Boltgun metal

As for the Death Guard trivia, go by Aeroplane's advice; follow your hobby heart :). I'm planning on adding Berzerkers in the form of deranged Techmarines with servo-arms and other techno-daemonic mania, the same could go with your case for the Death Guard, Techmarines or even normal CSM in the middle of transforming into Obliterators but not quite there yet, hence the FnP and other characterisitics leading them to becoming more machine/daemonic then man.

Loving the Army so far and the really neat conversions :).

-Kai-Itza-

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you much Kai-Itza, very happy to hear you like the army!

As far as Army Painter goes, I believe it has excellent coverage. I'm not quite sure how, but it really seems like it only takes about 2 quick bursts on any side to completely get everything.

Also, the shade of primer that I purchased is called "Platemail" and is very, very close to GW's "Chainmail." Pretty much the same thing actually. And honestly I cannot recommend it enough, it's great stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts