Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally posted by Deciever Posted: Nov 9 2003@ 03:26
There are so many Ulthwe discussion threads, what say someone pin one? Then that is the official thread, and everything else is outlawed?
A very good idea, as someone already said in the original thread I quote from.

So here it is the "official" Ulthwe and Strikeforce Ulthwe thread. Feel free to use this thread to discuss tactics, units and other relevant things to the two Ulthwe armies. This topic will be pinned and will be visible on the top of the board at all times.

Reactions: Tenozuma

·
Registered
436 Posts
hehe.. good idea Belial!

Ok... ill start this thing by asking a question. Can anyone tell me about the webway: how to open it and who has it and such?
I was told it was a 50 point item that the farseer carried, but...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
it is carries by warlocks and farseer. it is opened in the shooting phase and is placed in contact witht he model opening it. to rep the gate use the small blast template...why dont u just buy the codex?

·
Registered
436 Posts
i have the eldar codex, the craftworld codex and the rulebook... doesnt say anything in there. :angry:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Jeez, even I knew that the USF rules were in the EoT codex. Sorry, Saruman, but you're about as much of a noob as you say I am. Anyway, yeah. Oh, and another rule for it is if the model carrying it dies, which it hopefully shouldn't unless you run into an Emperor's Champion, it gets laid down automatically. So yeah. Does anyone have some good tactics with the Spear of Khaine? I know that a warlock with enhance and one with augment and Maugan Ra backed up by an Avatar is VICIOUS...I guess that makes sense, but I think it has too many points in one place. What are some other nice strategies with them? An interesting idea I think would be to have a kitted out Spear of Khaine, in reserve. Then you pick the flank with the most cover and stick dark reapers behind it. Then you advance a 20 soul defender squad with a warlock who has the wraithgate up that flank, while marching 3 one soul Warwalker Squads (starcannoned usually) with a 10-15 soul squad of Guardians with a support platform (bright lance, perhaps?) up the center as a diversion. Then after the opponent directs as much of their firepower into the warwalkers, your flank squad pops the wraithgate and out comes the Spear of Khaine mentioned above and hopefully crushes that flank. Sweep across the board into the side of the enemy's army. I think vypers could run around and take out troublesome units (like pesky crisis/stealthsuits that DS behind your flank after you lose the support of the reapers, which happens when you get out of range... :( ). Also, you could do that with CC aspect squads as well, and storm guardians. What do you think? I don't think I've neglected any rules, but I'm not sure. What do you think? Is it a strategy worth the effort of making an army list?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Nice overall strategy. Very nice. And I don't have the codex handy, but I'm pretty sure you can't take bright lances as support weapons. Sorry.

There's just one big hole in your plan. Don't put too much faith into little distractions like that. You're using 2 units. That means he only has to fire 2 to get rid of them, and anyone worth anything will use heavy weapons on them. We all know what happens when those hit, don't we? *BOOM*

So, just do yourself a favor and toss something a bit meatier for a distraction. All in all, I think you're trying to be WAY too smart. It's all well in good if you show up hot to go with some really tooled out strategy that no one sees coming. Trick is to actually put it into effect. The simplest plan can wreck it.

I personally wouldn't build an army list to do yet. Just stick with the basics and evolve to suit your style of play.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Ummm...that's actually 4 squads, because each WW is a single squad in itself, but you're right...maybe a pair of 20 soul defender squads instead of just one 15? About the support weapons...ummm...I actually don't really know myself. I'll see if I can run down to the store tomorrow and check out the EoT codex.

But USF? Basics? Is it possible to use those two in the same context? No seriously, what do you mean by basics? Like...a seer council, 2 defender squads, and a reaper squad with a storm squad and scorpions in reserve? I'm a little in the dark here...

If I modify the strategy I put up top, should I make a second post, or just edit it? I don't want to be accused of spamming again.

·
Registered
424 Posts
You're thinking WAAAAY too big. Like....really WAAAAAAY too big. Armies take a hell of a lot of time to make, so START SMALL. Basics is a seer council, and a pair of good size (about 10-12) guardian defender squads. In the wraithgate a pair of storm squads and maybe some Dark Reapers.

And the basics strategy is bolt up, shooting as you can, and pop the wraithgate as support. Toss the storm guardians into combat to tangle up the units, and move via your discretion from there.

But I do have something to say....

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T START PLANNING UNTIL YOU HAVE ALL THE CODEXES YOU NEED!!!!!!!

So....yah. I think I'm done....

Anyone got any hints on how to take down Necrons? (Destroyer Lord, Monolith, and a hell of a lot of warriors) They tend to stay quite packed together.

·
Registered
436 Posts
im pretty sure it is... otherwise it woudn't be ulthwe, would it?

·
Registered
817 Posts
No, you can use either a Seer Council or Spear of Khaine, or Maugan Ra, or some combination of them...Now that that's answered I think we should really discuss this daemonhunters problem. Supposedly, they can kick our asses really easily. Whether or not thisis true I will not attempt to discuss unless you guys want to. What I do want to discuss is how to beat them. I think that the key is knowing them, which I don't. Perhaps someone could explain what units and weapons of theirs are liable to roll over our psykers, which are, in fact, our biggest assets. Well...they're supposed to be, anyways.

·
Registered
424 Posts
No, Seer Council is mandatory I'm pretty sure.

And you wanna go against daemonhunters? Would you prefer cremation, or the normal burial?

No, seriously. The only unit that can't take a weapon that cuts out invulnerable saves is Inquisitorial Stormtroopers I think? Or maybe they can. Don't have my codex handy.

Daemonhunters are ANTI-PSYKER. Eldar are psykers. Your best bet is to try to pick 'em off with heavy weapons from a big distance, and load the webway with dark reapers that can shoot them. Open the wraithgate far away and shoot, then pray that you get past the power armour, and Shrouding.

Best strategy you're gonna' get. Also, for the LOVE OF GOD DON'T TRY CLOSE COMBAT!!

And have you bought the neccesary codexes yet?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
ok so today i played aginst a vanilla marines with deamonhunter allies. he deep struck a squad of grey knights in back of my seer council. well half of it was gone after wards. i had a plan howeve that should really work against the deep strike.

wat u do is surround yur seer coucil with squads. well wat i did was deploy my seer ocucil on the side edge of the board. then put a wave serpent with banshees in it, behind them and a guardian squad near that area. since u know where he is going to deep stirke neer seer coucil.) then when he does, he has a REAL good chance of either going off the board or landing near or in your squads. he CANNOT land within 1" of yur squad. so if he can only fit 3 grey knights in then the others are destroyed. make him work for that eldar eatin psycannon/incinerator

or you could deploy the coucil at the board edge. and squads near it like this

X X guardians or other units
SC seer coucil
---------- board edge

then you can sit and shoot them as they come closer.

·
Registered
817 Posts
I actually still have to get the codex. I have seen a few USF armies on other boards that use the Spear of Khaine as its HQ instead of a seer council, and they were deemed reliable...thanks for the DH help...I guess this is as prepared as I'm gonna be...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
the thing is tho, that u need a farseer as an hq, but ulthwe or strike force cant ahve a regular farseer, they need a seer coucil. so spear of khaine is for higher pt games where u can fit a seer coucil and a spear of khain in.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Somebody's forgetting Enhance. That stuff will jack up your WS and Init by 1 each every time you use it. I think that's pretty freakin' amazing. And Mr Shadow, learn how to type the letter "h". It'll let everyone who wants to read your spew have an easier time reading it.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts