Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this thought the other day, that in my army of 24 Spinegaunts and 24 Hormagaunts, I could remodel the Hormies as Spinegaunts, and then get an extra 24 spinegaunts for the same price. So basically i was wondering if you guys think that 24 Horm/ 24 Spine is good, or is 72 Spine better? I hope that made sense...

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
Well this depends on the methods that you swarm uses. If you like to race up and get in your opponent's face then the Hormagaunts will do that better than the Spinegaunts. On the other hand a huge mob of seventy two Spinegaunts will be very effective at swamping you enemy. I think what you should consider is how effective the Hormagaunts and Spinegaunts are at the moment.

You may find that the Spinegaunts really need the extra numbers. However this doesn't mean that the Hormagaunts don't work, infact this may mean the Hormagaunts are doing thier job and the Spinegaunts are simply being 'high maintenance'. Spinegaunts sometimes have a tendency to insist on only being worth it if they are around in large numbers at the expense of all the other lesser Tyranid breeds. Hormagaunts can be very handy and can certainly do some things a Spinegaunt will never do.

Consider how much you like your Hormagaunts. If they are performing well then I suggest you keep them and look for another source to sort out the Spinegaunts. If the Hormagaunts aren't really working and you are getting more out of your Spinegaunts then I would suggest you convert them into more Spinegaunts. But I do think that you should only consider sacrificing your Hormagaunts if they aren't working. If they are working then let them continue to work and find out some other way to get the Spinegaunts to be useful.

·
1,256 Posts
What I think you should do which will make you fast are cost slighty less (48 points) is to turn all of the hormies into spine gaunts and then give them scuttlers. Now you have 48 models that start 18" from the enemy and can get there in two turns, instead of the only 24. However it does depend on what you are using your gaunts for, if they are your killing blow you might want to keep the hormies (and come up with a new stratagy), If you are trying to tie up the enemy the scuttlers are the way to go, they are the same speed as hormies, but cost less. Just make sure you have something to follow your gaunts to finish off the enemy.

·
Registered
576 Posts
BTW, you can have a max of 32 spine gaunts in a squad.... just sayin..

anyway, Hormagaunts are really much better, they get in close combat and no matter wat anyone says, close combat will pretty much always be the best way to kill an enemy, especially since you cant fire weapons in close combat. (unless you got those really cool Earthshakers for IG!)

·
Watcher In The Sky
1,083 Posts
Well, I quite like Hormagaunts. I usually play against Tau, so getting in there quick is priority one.

If I can shut a few of his fire-warrior squads or crisis teams up for a turn or two (whilst sniperfexing his railheads repeatedly) then my stealers can get into combat not too badly chewed up and then it is all over bar the shouting really.

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
Spinegaunts are better.

They take at most one extra turn longer than hormies to get into combat, and you get twice as many of them. One turn of taking extra shots does not equate to literally twice as many wounds.

People can talk about hormies all they like, and getting that 12" charge in is cool, but they don't stand up to genuine practice or mathhammer.

Plus, the spinegaunt is highly effective AS IS, with its little twin linked assault weapon and one wound but cheap. The hormagaunt is only S3 with an extra attack and no shooting, and dies just as easily, but costs twice as much unless you upgrade it, at which point it is getting ludicrously pricey for what it does.

·
159 Posts
Mike's comments are generally correct; in his army there really isn't a need to field hormgaunts. So my post isn't meant to contradict Mike's comments, nor anyone else who don't like using hormagaunts. I'm just posting to explain why I field them in my "balanced lists", as it pertains to my tactics.
  1. I usually field hormagaunts with 1-3 Raveners, fielded as separate units. If you treat them as a team, they both move similarly and I use them to attack units together. The Raveners give you an offensive punch (via rending), while the hormgaunts allow for numerous attacks and give you high numbers so even if you loose combat, you probably won't be outnumbered.

To me this is the most compelling argument, if you choose to field your list this way. If you have a crazy shooting list, or field a pure spinegaunt swarm, this argument has no intrinsic value.
  2. Hormagaunts have a slightly better weapon skill, which is great for units with a lower weapon skill. This is totally useless against SM, Eldar, or any other unit with an equal or higher weapon skill. However versus Sisters of Battle, Tau, or Imperial Guard, having a lot of attacks that hit on 3s is surprisingly effective.
  3. With leaping, you can have units that are within 3" instead of the normal 2". Its the most advantageous on the charge; once you get into combats that take more than 2 turns, I honestly think the difference between 14 hormagaunts in combat (with a 3" kill zone) versus 28 spinegaunts (with a 2" killzone) starts favoring the spinegaunts
I've seen some players field uber-hormagaunts (higher initiative and/or higher strength). Usually these people field a fast moving, elites list with a Winged Hive Tyrant, genestealers, gargoyles, and raveners. I've yet to field the list, so I cannot give you any indications if this is effective.

So in closing, if you're doing a flat analysis of spinegaunts vs. hormagaunts, I'd go with spinegaunts. However, I can say that hormagaunts can be useful depending on the type of army you field.

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
Rudy is of course right, as anyone would be, in saying that there are situations and army themese where you can find a use for hormagaunts. I would say that having seen his {absolutely gorgeously painted} army in action, I'd still recommend spinegaunts to him for the same purposes in general.

Personally, as I use 6 raveners in 3 squads, I don't want any hormagaunts getting in the way of their charges, and with a net combat strength of "12" they're not likely to be outnumbered by any meaningful amount unless I'm attacking the wrong target with them.

Plus, I'll have twice the models in spinegaunts on the way shortly as I would if I fielded hormies.

·
663 Posts
My opinion is that both are too useful to get rid of one. I love my Hormoguants because of the leaping. However i still have spineguants so that i can throw down numbers as well. I know that spineguants Mathammer into a better unit but the shooting is almost never used and the 30+ dice i roll on the charge is great for killing any troops.

Also MVBrandt, does the mathammering for spineguants v. hormoguants take into acount the extra inch of models that you get to have in CC. Reason is that i don't see spineguants being better or even close to as effective as Hormoguants. Another reason i ask is that i always get into base contact with most of the squad vs spineguants that are charging 6''.

·
Charitably Tables People
1,500 Posts
It depends on what they are doing, I suppose. Are you relying on your "gaunt" type to actually win games for you, or to simply provide close combat fillers, tie up units, etc." If your strongest units in your army, your gamewinners, are gaunt units, you'll need hormagaunts probably, though the argument could be made that twice as many spiengaunts is still better.

The long and short is that the 3" bubble is only super useful when you have a metric shitton of units in combat. It's rare that my gaunt squads don't get fully engaged. But I am a patient 'Nid player. I move very quickly, shoot a lot, but when it comes time to charge I am usually in range w/ everything, b/c I'm ok w/ spending a turn sitting them in cover extra, or shooting with them instead.

Like I said, there are situations and army builds where hormagaunts have value, but I think in most situations you can't mathhammer them as more valuable. The long and short is you get twice the wounds, the same number of attacks, one less weapon skill, the ability to shoot a twin-linked assault weapon, non-beasts (so in escalation they aren't coming on randomly), etc. etc. Spinegaunts are just more realible.

·
815 Posts
MVBrandt is correct. Mathmatically the spinegaunts are better. However from a play aspect, hormagaunts are just much cooler. I've never had an opponent's jaw drop when I assault with 30 spinegaunts from around 20 inches away. ;)

With that said, I have been leaning more on spinegaunts recently, but I'll always love my hormagaunts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.