1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The main reasons I'm thinking about starting eldar are that:
1. Warp Spiders are my favourite unit in the game
2. Farseers, Wraithlord, Avatars and Dark Reapers are utterly AWESOME

As a result I came up with a 2k list that specified the way I wanted to play eldar. Here it is:

-HQ-

Farseer
-Doom
-Fortune
-Spirit Stones
-Ro Witnessing

3 Warlocks
-Enhance

The Avatar

-TROOPS-

10 Dire Avengers
-Exarch
-Dual Catapults
-Bladestorm

10 Dire Avengers
-Exarch
-Dual Catapults
-Bladestorm

10 Dire Avengers
-Exarch
-Dual Catapults
-Bladestorm

-FAST ATTACK-

10 Warp Spiders
-Exarch
-Dual Spinners
-Powerblades

10 Warp Spiders
-Exarch
-Dual Spinners
-Powerblades

10 Warp Spiders
-Exarch
-Dual Spinners
-Powerblades

-HEAVY SUPPORT-

5 Dark Reapers
-Exarch
-Tempest Launcher
-Crack Shot

Wraithlord
-Wraith sword
-2x Flamers

Wraithlord
-Wraith sword
-2x Flamers

What do you think? Bear in mind that even if I buy this lot from a website I found offering 25% discount it's still going to cost me £186.00 so I need a strong list that fits the criteria I spoke of and is competitive. Hopefully as competitive as possible.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think anyone who looks at this list will tell you that you're severely lacking in anti-armour. I can see the Spiders helping, especially if 2 squads used Deep-strike and hit back armour, but even still you'll be struggling. Another think to note is that everyone knows how good Bladestorm is and will be doing their utmost to avoid it. DA's are usually put in Waveserpents to couteract this and the short range of their guns.

I know you said you love Warp Spiders but you might find that your enthusiasm lessens as you paint Spider number 15 and still have 15 to go. Spiders are good, but you might want to pull back a little. Also, they are metal and expensive for 30. My advice if you are set on playing non-mech is to replace one DA squad with Guardian jetbikes for grabbing and speed not to mention lower cost. The Wraithlords can help with anti-tank by taking EML and Lance. If you're willing to give up some spiders this will give you losts of points for Dragons in a Serpent or Autarch with fusion gun, and Spider jumppack which are the only reliable tank-busters outside of the heavy support section which you've already filled.

Hope this helps and good luck with your new army.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking that the spiders would be able to handle AV10 while the wraithlords, avatar and warlocks could beat any AV higher than that. How about if I swapped a unit of spiders for some fire dragons:

-HQ-

Farseer
-Doom
-Fortune
-Spirit Stones
-Ro Witnessing

3 Warlocks
-Enhance

The Avatar

-TROOPS-

10 Dire Avengers
-Exarch
-Dual Catapults
-Bladestorm

10 Dire Avengers
-Exarch
-Dual Catapults
-Bladestorm

10 Dire Avengers
-Exarch
-Dual Catapults
-Bladestorm

-FAST ATTACK-

10 Warp Spiders
-Exarch
-Dual Spinners
-Powerblades

10 Warp Spiders
-Exarch
-Dual Spinners
-Powerblades

-ELITES-

6 Fire Dragons
-Exarch
-Wave serpent
-TL Starcannon

-HEAVY SUPPORT-

5 Dark Reapers
-Exarch
-Tempest Launcher
-Crack Shot

Wraithlord
-Wraith sword
-2x Flamers

Wraithlord
-Wraith sword
-2x Flamers

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
*Thread moved to "Eldar Army Lists" subforum*

I would cut down on your warp spyders a bit and, as stated find some dedicated anti-tank. Something so simple as machanizing your dire avengers in serpents with brightlances could fill this roll if need be. Not the most "competitive" list I've ever seen but I think it could be most enjoyable.

·
Registered
350 Posts
heh Alzer, you have your work cut out for you moving threads this morning. Something about the Army list folder says "don't post here" to everyone.

The changes you made will go a long way towards making this list tank-hunting capable. The problem with using 10 Spiders against tanks is that either you shoot at AV10 and overkill or you shoot at front armour and do very little. In both cases its a very expensive unit and is better served butchering Trygons.

·
Registered
658 Posts
IMO, the wraithlords don't really fit with the list, I guess they could advance with the avatar but a lot of AT stuff will then hit that priority space. They will also suffer from wraithsight unless seer council go with them which is a waste.

Instead I would go more mech, use the points from the wraithlords for 2 wave serpents for the dire avengers. Turn one dire avenger squad into guardian jetbikes. You could lose the avatar and replace him with warwalkers/fireprism. Personally I think hes awesome but to go true mech you should do such. Seer council then have no mobility so you might want to do something with them, unless they sit back with farseer at the support firing line as counter assualt.

If you really want to footslog then the list is good, but remember it won't be as competitive and will be more a fun army.
If you're keeping it footslogging then try and find some points for a longer-range AT unit (warwalkers, fire prism, or make the wraithlords shooty (bright lance/starcannon + eldar missile launcher)).

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not going mech for 2 reasons, money and I would rather spend the points on good stuff rather than 90point transports. Maybe it's because I'm a necron player but thats just me.

·
Registered
150 Posts
shas_on_u
I'm not going mech for 2 reasons, money and I would rather spend the points on good stuff rather than 90point transports. Maybe it's because I'm a necron player but thats just me.​
Amen. I like how you think. You should play the army you want and what makes you happy. No Mech? No mech it is!

That all being said, the Avatar + 2 Wraithlords is always a scary "unit" on a game board. I think, personally, while the lords looks gerat with a sword, these lords are going to be the most feasible way for you to get some reliable anti tank fire power in this list. If you must keep the swords, then at least equip each lord with a bright lance as well. If you bear to bring yourself away from the sword, give each lord a bright lance and an EML. My personal recommendation is the EML/BL load out for a list like this.

Now you have 3 MC creatures, 2 of which can fire off AT shots with a BS4. They get to advance alongside a Close Combat MC giant in the avatar. not to mention all the other goodies the avatar has like invul save, fearless, melta defense and the wailing doom.

So
Wraithlord w BL and EML, dual flamers
Wraithlrord w BL and EML, dual flamers
Seer with Doom, Fortune, Stones, RoW
Warlocks

That is a scary core. to fill out your mandatory troops of course. you can either use foot slogging avengers, pathfinders, Guardian Defenders or jetbikes. all different purposes in this list. Personally, I'm not sure that footslogging DA are really that great of troops in a non-mech list. I think Pathfinders to sit back and fire AP1 shots with a 36" range in cover while your beast of a core marches up the field is more feasible. Or even big guardian Defender Squads with decent heavy weapons and conceal to march up with the avatar and wraithlords.
This makes up a competitive foot slogging but defensive firebase.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts